• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Twins @ Angels 5/20/2019 (Walsh 1B)

47 minutes ago, SoPas Angel said:

This is the part that has been maddening this year. Was he always like this and I somehow didn't notice?

In the 1st inning yesterday, Ohtani walked on 4 pitches (with Trout on second after hitting a double) and then Simmons just hacked away at the fist pitch he saw and popped out. Couldn't even advance the runners. The guy might be the smartest player I have ever seen in the field. How can he be so brain-dead at the plate so much of the time?

Simmons also seems to GIDP with RISP more times than I would like too.

25 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

Simmons is not a bad option considering he leads the team in hits (55) and doubles (13).

That being said, I would much rather have La Stella hit behind Shohei.

For me the only issue is his tendency to hit into double plays. Other than that he's been a better cleanup hitter than we could have anticipated. 

6 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

So then what analytics state that Simmons is the best clean up hitter on the team?

I have no idea if it is analytics or they don’t want to put back to back lefties in the line up.  Not sure how often they have done it this year.  I would assume they have. 

Obviously Ausmus wants to go Righty-Lefty-Righty etc. So assuming you want to keep 1-2-3 intact, and you don't want Simmons to hit 4th, that leaves Lucroy and Fletcher. I think we also like Fletcher in the 9 hole so that leaves Lucroy.

Not sure I would call Lucroy a clean-up hitter but given Simmons GIDP proclivity I think it would be worthwhile to give Lucroy a chance to hit 4th.

I wouldn’t mind Lucroy, but I just think Simmons is a better hitter.  I don’t think for a younger guy with decent speed that GIDP is predictive, but that is an opinion, I don’t have the stats to support that.  Obviously a guy that is slower like Albert he is going to hit into a ton of double plays.  All of this is temporary because I think we all foresee Upton as the clean up hitter soon enough.  

55 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

the first three in the order are what they should be.  

analytically, there is no material impact of flip-flopping 4-9 in any way

This is where analytics and I take different paths down the road. If the order of 1-3 are important then the order of 4-6 and 7-9 have the same importance to maximize effectiveness of the lineup as a whole. 

The problem is analytics for lineups use every player instead of every player on each team as their model. You are applying rules that govern 350 players aggregate totals rather than specifically the 12 that are available to use. Its a false formula. 

Simmons does not belong batting fourth and I believe Trout is under utilized batting 2nd. I really believe he would have a greater impact batting 3rd. You just need to place the right two hitters in front of him. Of whom we have available that would be Fletcher and Ohtani then follow Trout with LaStella, Lucroy then Simmons. 

5 minutes ago, Blarg said:

This is where analytics and I take different paths down the road. If the order of 1-3 are important then the order of 4-6 and 7-9 have the same importance to maximize effectiveness of the lineup as a whole. 

The problem is analytics for lineups use every player instead of every player on each team as their model. You are applying rules that govern 350 players aggregate totals rather than specifically the 12 that are available to use. Its a false formula. 

Simmons does not belong batting fourth and I believe Trout is under utilized batting 2nd. I really believe he would have a greater impact batting 3rd. You just need to place the right two hitters in front of him. Of whom we have available that would be Fletcher and Ohtani then follow Trout with LaStella, Lucroy then Simmons. 

I love the middle paragraph, really good common sense stuff.  If your number 3 batter in the order is important then so is 4-6.  

11 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I meant relative to who the Angels have.  not in general.  Of course it matters depending on personnel.  

the book actually has Trout batting first though.  

flip flopping Trout and Ohtani likely doesn't have an impact.  putting someone else on the team 2nd and Trout third doesn't have a material impact. 

Upton in the lineup vs. not is where the impact occurs.  Not whether he bats 3rd or 4th.   

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Obviously Ausmus wants to go Righty-Lefty-Righty etc. So assuming you want to keep 1-2-3 intact, and you don't want Simmons to hit 4th, that leaves Lucroy and Fletcher. I think we also like Fletcher in the 9 hole so that leaves Lucroy.

Not sure I would call Lucroy a clean-up hitter but given Simmons GIDP proclivity I think it would be worthwhile to give Lucroy a chance to hit 4th.

Anyone stop to think that the reason they are hitting int so many double plays is that they are in a position in the lineup where more people are on first?  Thus a routine ground out for some is a gidp for another?

If I remember correctly Pujols hit into a lot of Gidp when he was clean up.

5 hours ago, krAbs said:

If Cozart is batting against Cahill, what happens? Strike out on a wild pitch where Cozart runs to first, and would have been able to make it if he didn't trip and fall on the way and end up on the DL?

If Cozart batted against Cahill:

On the first pitch, Cozart swings and loses the bat which flies into the dugout injuring Trout and Ohtani.