• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels @ Twins 5/14/2019 (Rengifo 2B)

Just now, krAbs said:

Fletcher and Goodwin are looking at notecards between at bats. Is that normal, and I just haven't been paying enough attention? I'm assuming they are reading write ups on the hitters.

It's normal.  I watch Calhoun and Trout do it every home game

1 minute ago, Lou said:

He just seems so lazy behind the plate 

I used to think he was just being crossed up because a catcher is never taught to backhand or "stab" at the pitch, which Lucroy does a lot.  

Now I'm starting to think like you Lou.

Astudillo is a weird character. Much has been made of how seldom Fletcher is striking out - at no point in his career, in the majors or the minors, has Astudillo struck out as often as Fletcher currently is. But, he essentially never walks, with a career walk rate of 1.9%. He's built like a truck, but managed to play as a catcher, 1B, 2B, 3B, RF, LF, CF, and even played an inning as a pitcher - weirdly, only leaving out SS. Weird, weird baseball player.

Edit: fangraph's profile on him (you can look it up, this is unedited) :
"Commissioner Rob Manfred continues to search for ways to improve the game and yet nary a word has been said about him mandating that the Twins play Astudillo everyday at the major league level. So how serious is he about truly impacting the game? If he’s not going to tackle the obvious ideas to better our glorious game, how can he be trusted to handle the bigger issues? What’s your favorite thing about Tortuga? Is it his 3% K rate in 2461 minor league PA? Or his 4% BB rate? Or perhaps it’s the fact that he has a .306 AVG and .103 ISO? No, I know you… your favorite thing is that this bowling ball of a man with Eno Sarris’s hair is not only a primary catcher, but also played third base, second base, left field, center field, AND pitcher in his 29-game MLB debut. It’s so perfect that the first part of his last name is A Stud. Meanwhile, it’s a capital offense that the Twins might not start the season with him as their super utilityman."