• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Eppler's Signings This Year

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Man if this team can simply produce a few #3 starters it would help us not over pay in free agency for mediocrity.  At least with Albert or Upton, hell even Hamilton you are paying for players that could be great.  Cozart, Valbuena, Espinosa, Harvey and Kinsler, you are paying free agency prices and hoping for league average.  

on top of that, you are also giving up fringe prospects for guys like Espinosa and Kinsler.  As we've seen, that kind of stuff can add up over time if it's done a fair amount.  No damage done on Espinosa, but Wilkel Hernandez (Kinsler trade) could end up being something and there's also Elvin Rodriguez (Upton trade) who's pitching well in high A for Detroit.   Neither of whom are likely the next Mike Clevinger, but we know that model isn't sustainable.  

34 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Man if this team can simply produce a few #3 starters it would help us not over pay in free agency for mediocrity.  At least with Albert or Upton, hell even Hamilton you are paying for players that could be great.  Cozart, Valbuena, Espinosa, Harvey and Kinsler, you are paying free agency prices and hoping for league average.  

IMO the biggest reason for the Angels' failings over the last ten years has everything to do with trading away and not developing starting pitching.  Far too much reliance on free agency and trades.  It just isn't sustainable.  Started with Reagins and continued with Diputo.

13 hours ago, RBM said:

I thought Lucroy was a good signing at the time but I can't call It a good signing now. His defense has been terrible. Also, the other  catchers who signed 1 year deals are really good right now.

OPS/OPS +

Lucroy    .722/95

Chirinos  .905/144

B.McCann .862/129

J.McCann .995/167

We’ll see. It’s still early.

Is there another McCann out there who can catch?

Mulligan 

I like to give struggling FA signings a free pass for the month of April. Some players take longer to adjust. Cahill and Harvey sucked in Mexico to start off May but let’s so how their month ends.

Canning has been a much needed blessing so far. I like how the team is progressing into a legit contender. 

Btw I’m likening Lucroy

5 minutes ago, RBM said:

Harvey (11 M) and Cahill (9 M) were the two highest paid SP's signed to 1 year deals this year and they are also two of the least effective SP's signed to 1 year deals this year. Of the 16 SP's signed to 1 year deals, only Shelby Miller is sucking more than Harvey and Cahill. Of the 16, Harvey and Cahill rank #1 and #2 in salary but #14 and #15 in ERA. And, of the 16 only 3 were signed before Harvey and Cahill.

Yes, but what about their spin rates?

I wasn't really a fan of any of Eppler's signings this offseason. I wasn't really a fan of the alternatives either. Bottom line is you gotta build a team through your farm these days, and outside of hitting on a premiere or upper tier free agent you probably won't be winning if you are playing that game.

When you sign a bunch of fringe players it's no surprise that most of them suck. But hey, we took absolutely zero risk so it's all good, right? It's similar to the logic used to defend star players in basketball shooting low percentages at the end of games: you remember the makes (guys like Goodwin, for example) and forget all the misses, even if you only have like a 20% success rate. Then at the end of the season you wonder why you struggled to win 80 games yet again. 

6 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

When you sign a bunch of fringe players it's no surprise that most of them suck. But hey, we took absolutely zero risk so it's all good, right? It's similar to the logic used to defend star players in basketball shooting low percentages at the end of games: you remember the makes (guys like Goodwin, for example) and forget all the misses, even if you only have like a 20% success rate. Then at the end of the season you wonder why you struggled to win 80 games yet again. 

yeah, everyone has forgotten all about the misses. that's why nobody ever mentions them here. 

image.jpeg

9 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

But hey, we took absolutely zero risk so it's all good, right?

Actually it is all good we signed high risk players to one year contracts instead of multiple years for Blanton. These guys are just filler, not a long term solution. The long term solutions are moving up the farm system. Until they arrive we still have to cover the innings at MLB rate card for free agents. 

1 minute ago, Lou said:

yeah, everyone has forgotten all about the misses. that's why nobody ever mentions them here. 

image.jpeg

The team seems to be fine with it, seeing as how we haven't won a playoff game in a decade and are on our third consecutive ineffective GM and still filling out our roster with these types of players year after year. We've just gotten used to low standards. 

3 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Actually it is all good we signed high risk players to one year contracts instead of multiple years for Blanton. These guys are just filler, not a long term solution. The long term solutions are moving up the farm system. Until they arrive we still have to cover the innings at MLB rate card for free agents. 

I mean yeah, signing a shitty player for multiple years is worse than signing them for one year. We've just chosen the next worst option. Would be kinda neat to sign a good player sometimes though. There are teams out there that are doing so and winning games so it's possible. Maybe we'll be one of those good teams one day, would be cool.  

3 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

The team seems to be fine with it, seeing as how we haven't won a playoff game in a decade and are on our third consecutive ineffective GM and still filling out our roster with these types of players year after year. We've just gotten used to low standards. 

Dumbb

45 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

I mean yeah, signing a shitty player for multiple years is worse than signing them for one year. We've just chosen the next worst option. Would be kinda neat to sign a good player sometimes though.There are teams out there that are doing so and winning games so it's possible. Maybe we'll be one of those good teams one day, would be cool.  

You just saw the list @Inside Pitch posted about all those "good player" signings that went to shit. The difference is most of those teams were buying up those guys as their last piece of the puzzle, not roster filler during a rebuild.

You don't have patience for bringing the entire organization back from the dead. I get it but don't think for a minute you are imparting some great wisdom saying, "Would be kinda neat to sign a good player sometimes though." 

We can call them Shitty but when looking at the 2018 free agent list they were ranked (Harvey and Cahill) the 29th and 30th ranked free agents.  The starting pitchers above them were Corbin, J.A. Happ, Eovaldi,Sanchez, Morton Keuchel, Kikuchi and maybe Lance Lynn?   All got multi year deals.   In the same article they predict years and dollars and they were pretty accurate.  They projected both Harvey and Cahill to get 2 year deals at around the same annual price.  Virtually everyone ranked above them got multi year deals and most of them so far have been disappointing.  My point is we can call them Shitty but we are no different than any other team or any other fan base.  Free agency is expensive and risky. 

1 hour ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

I mean yeah, signing a shitty player for multiple years is worse than signing them for one year. We've just chosen the next worst option. Would be kinda neat to sign a good player sometimes though. There are teams out there that are doing so and winning games so it's possible. Maybe we'll be one of those good teams one day, would be cool.  

So you're saying Eppler should sign the good players? I like that strategy. You should be the GM and I should be the manager. Ausmus has yet to figure out the optimum strategy. I would tell all my batters to hit a HR when they are up and I'd tell all my pitchers to strike the batter out.

4 hours ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

I wish I could get used to reading stupid comments.   

Just in case anyone forgot......  Jerry Dipoto took over a team that had three guys in the top 100 in 2011 (Chatwood, Segura, Trout), plus Cron, plus Richards, plus Amarista, plus Shoemaker, plus Grichuk. plus Braiser and had just graduated Trumbo.   Thats ten guys, plus Howie and Aybar in their age 27 seasons.

Preaching patience for an incompetent then turning around and lumping the first competent GM since Stoneman with the morons is the epitome of LOL.

That's not even the best example of the stupidity....   Hows this gem aged?

"We got lucky with Jerry"

Edited by Inside Pitch

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Just in case anyone forgot......  Jerry Dipoto took over a team that had three guys in the top 100 in 2011 (Chatwood, Segura, Trout), plus Cron, plus Richards, plus Amarista, plus Shoemaker, plus Grichuk. plus Braiser and had just graduated Trumbo.   Thats ten guys plus Howie and Aybar in their age 27 seasons.

Preaching patience for an incompetent then turning around and lumping the first competent GM since Stoneman with the morons is the epitome of LOL.

Excellent work.

22 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Just in case anyone forgot......  Jerry Dipoto took over a team that had three guys in the top 100 in 2011 (Chatwood, Segura, Trout), plus Cron, plus Richards, plus Amarista, plus Shoemaker, plus Grichuk. plus Braiser and had just graduated Trumbo.   Thats ten guys plus Howie and Aybar in their age 27 seasons.

image.gif