• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Eppler's Signings This Year

21 minutes ago, RBM said:

Harvey ($11 M) and Cahill ($9 M) were the two highest paid SP's signed to 1 year deals this year and they are also two of the least effective SP's signed to 1 year deals this year. Of the 16 SP's signed to 1 year deals, only Shelby Miller is sucking more than Harvey and Cahill. Of the 16, Harvey and Cahill rank #1 and #2 in salary but #14 and #15 in ERA. And, of the 16 only 3 were signed before Harvey and Cahill. 

So it looks like to me we signed them too early, for too much money and they have been less effective than nearly any other option so far...Hopefully Harvey and Cahill turn it around, not because their trade value will increase but because it's early and we are still in the hunt. If we are playing meaningful games in September it would be great to have Harvey and Cahill pitching well.

Everything you've said has the benefit of hindsight.   

This entire message board was collectively losing it's mind when SPs were coming off the board and the Angels had done nothing.  Maybe you had the foresight to wait out the market a tad longer but the Angels had two gaping holes in the rotation (turns out they still do! lol), and holes to fill in other places -- they were also dealing with the Mike Trout situation.  How much them acting "early" was an attempt to silence the criticism they were sitting on their hands and Mike Trout was watching or some other hot take narrative may have been we will never know..  I honestly hope it had NOTHING to do with it.

Pretty much everyone who signed a one year deal save for Gio and Wade Miley has stunk so far...

Holland - 5.34 ERA 77 ERA+
Ross - 5.34, 86
Estrada - 6.85, 62
Buckholtz - 6.57, 66
Miller - 7.48, 66
Pomeranz - 5.93, 69
Straily - 7.43, 59
Bailey - 5.25, 85
Santana - 9.45, 64

That's 9 guys where the best of the lot has put up a 5.25 ERA, and that's a guy who if he manages to keep his ERA under 6.00 for the entire season it will be the FIRST time he's done it since 2015.  That's how bad Homer Bailey has been.

Beyond those guys you had two guys who were off to good starts and then were both lost for the season -- Shoemaker and Matt Moore.   Brett Anderson too I guess but he's even more of a candidate to get injured than Cahill is.

Basically the one year contract SPs were all a veritable minefield...   All we can do now is hope Cahill stops giving up HRs...   As far as Harvey goes -- was not a fan of that deal other than I was glad it was a one year deal.

1 hour ago, RBM said:

Harvey ($11 M) and Cahill ($9 M) were the two highest paid SP's signed to 1 year deals this year and they are also two of the least effective SP's signed to 1 year deals this year. Of the 16 SP's signed to 1 year deals, only Shelby Miller is sucking more than Harvey and Cahill. Of the 16, Harvey and Cahill rank #1 and #2 in salary but #14 and #15 in ERA. And, of the 16 only 3 were signed before Harvey and Cahill. 

So it looks like to me we signed them too early, for too much money and they have been less effective than nearly any other option so far...Hopefully Harvey and Cahill turn it around, not because their trade value will increase but because it's early and we are still in the hunt. If we are playing meaningful games in September it would be great to have Harvey and Cahill pitching well.

why does it matter if the the other options still sucked and are performing poorly as well?  Gio is the only one that we can point out and say that seemed a target but it also seemed he personally targeted playing for a team picked to win.  Morton wasn't an option.  

there is literally Pat Corbin and ten miles garbage.  So you roll the dice and try to target a couple of guys that could outperform their projections.  If they don't, you're not playoff bound anyway.  If one of them does and you're close, then trade for someone else.  

6 hours ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

The team seems to be fine with it, seeing as how we haven't won a playoff game in a decade and are on our third consecutive ineffective GM and still filling out our roster with these types of players year after year. We've just gotten used to low standards. 

Being that theres nothing to be done to change the last decade, its probably smarter to focus on the next one, no?

If say we signed harper and machado this last winter. Would that mask the pitching?

The team has too many holes to fill w free agents. Barely any trade assets. Not much wiggle room money wise.

Essentially, this team is like someone who figured out it needed a career instead of a job. That its job was never going to pay off its debt. It decided to go back to school and learn a trade. Doing so didnt erase the fact it had a kid and a bad mortgage.

What youre suggesting is that it should go out and buy a boat and a truck to haul it, because it hasnt been laid in a few years. Still with the kid and mortgage problems. And to quit school and get a second job on the weekends to pay for the boat.

Once this team starts its new career, making 6 figures, it will get laid again.

21 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Being that theres nothing to be done to change the last decade, its probably smarter to focus on the next one, no?

If say we signed harper and machado this last winter. Would that mask the pitching?

The team has too many holes to fill w free agents. Barely any trade assets. Not much wiggle room money wise.

Essentially, this team is like someone who figured out it needed a career instead of a job. That its job was never going to pay off its debt. It decided to go back to school and learn a trade. Doing so didnt erase the fact it had a kid and a bad mortgage.

What youre suggesting is that it should go out and buy a boat and a truck to haul it, because it hasnt been laid in a few years. Still with the kid and mortgage problems. And to quit school and get a second job on the weekends to pay for the boat.

Once this team starts its new career, making 6 figures, it will get laid again.

Considering that Brian Goodwin and Tommy La Stella are outperforming each of those guys, we'd probably be worse.  

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

Considering that Brian Goodwin and Tommy La Stella are outperforming each of those guys, we'd probably be worse.  

Not to mention we wouldn't have had money for anyone else - and while Allen, Lucroy, Cahill, Bour, and Harvey haven't been good, they still might have found people worse to fill those...

2 hours ago, RBM said:

I understood at the time Eppler's plan was going to be short term signings to fill the holes at pitcher and catcher. I thought it made sense then. I still do now.

In my opinion Eppler missed with the Cahill and Harvey signings. I thought it then and I still think it now.

It's still early and I hope Cahill and Harvey can turn it around because this team needs them pitching well if we are playing meaningful games in September.

who did you think he should sign instead?

34 minutes ago, RBM said:

On another thread the week before we signed Harvey and Cahill I suggested Buchholz, Miley and Gonzalez in that order. I liked how all three closed out last year. This year Miley and Gonzalez have both pitched well. Buchholz got hammered in his last start but has been ok.

Buchholz has been bad even prior to getting blown up in his last start.  11 er in 20.2ip.  That's an era just shy of 5 and then he gave up 7er over 4ip in his last start.  

Miley is smoke and mirrors but effective so far.  

Although that's kinda not the point.  

My point is how much better are we with your top two than what we have?  

I would also wager that by seasons end they are all pretty similar.  

Who do we get from the money saved?  

The options just sucked.  

25 minutes ago, RBM said:

Are we a better team with Harvey/Cahill or Miley/Gonzalez? Right now, the latter for sure but who knows what the answer will be in September. 

I hope Harvey and Cahill get better because we need them to be. 

your top two were Buchholz and Miley.  The other thing to note is that Gonzalez has tried to sign with projected winners so maybe we had no shot.  

either way, we're not a playoff team.  not even close.  I hope the same for Harvey and Cahill.