• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday 4/27 Angels @ Royals

13 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

but if you're not going to get through three times completely, your last batters are 4-9.  or if you do get through three times then you can go for a fourth and the 4th time through you're further down in the order.  

But your assuming that the "opener" has a better change against that 1-3, since when would anyone here assume Bedrosian to be that guy? 

46 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Same reason Fletcher sits...it’s analytics....gotta do what others are doing....

Fletcher is getting a day off because he's been in the lineup nearly non stop. Rengifo has shown he is a pretty solid defender and his bat equals Fletcher's so there is no downside to David taking a day off. 

However I do think he comes in during the late innings as a defensive replacement for LaStella. 

I sort of disliked the idea of the an “opener” for Barria, but the more I read about the reasons the more I’m fine with it.  It’ll help him get deeper into the games.  Barria is still pretty young.  He’s still building up.  I’m confident that not too far down the road they won’t be using an opener for him.  

I think the opener is perfect for a guy like Felix Pena.  

If this stuff helps the team win. Whatever I'm all for whatever works. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

4 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

What’s to keep a team from putting their best hitters at the 4, 5, and 6 spots?

the hitting team shouldn't care that much.  they would still want their top three to get a lot of at bats which likely outweighs seeing a starter for the third time.  the ultimate purpose isn't that they're facing tougher competition but that you get more length out of your starters and don't tax your pen as much.  

15 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

the hitting team shouldn't care that much.  they would still want their top three to get a lot of at bats which likely outweighs seeing a starter for the third time.  the ultimate purpose isn't that they're facing tougher competition but that you get more length out of your starters and don't tax your pen as much.  

Exactly this. The opener allows the starter to get more batters faced. The point of batting your best batters at the top is to get them more plate appearances. Both teams are trying to get their best players more playing time.