• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cozart

19 hours ago, Hubs said:

I really hope he can get it together. His 2017 season in Cincinnati was amazing.

Never sign a player who has his best season in his walk year. Cozart looks lost at the plate. He should be a utility guy at this point. It was a bad signing by Eppler. Ward, on the other hand, is awful defensively. Bring up Rojas and let him play third for awhile and see what he brings. 

8 hours ago, Reveille1984 said:

I guess "destroyed his ability" is more apt.  You're correct, I can't read his mind.  But bottom line he hasn't shown the ability to be a regular on a major league roster since 2017.

Hopefully he keeps up his confidence with a 1 for 32/-59 wRC+ start to the season.

He is struggling for sure, but it takes a lot more than this for a major league to lose confidence that he can do it. He’s got 20-some years of being good vs 3 months of being bad. 

I agree Cozarts Walk year is a lot better than we saw in 2018, or so far this year but he’ll probably finish the year somewhere between a .700 and .800 OPS. That’s fine.

Relax and remember that the Angels has basically nothing at 2nd or 3rd in the minors when they signed him as Fletcher hadn’t had a minor league season above a .700 OPS and he was the highest rated. Ward was still a Catcher, Rengifo was still a Ray, and Valbuena (RIP) was coming off a .199 average season. 

No one else who was a FA that season besides Moustakas has been a good signing at 2nd or 3rd.

Cozart Name Meaning

Probably a variant spelling of Dutch Cossaert, a nickname for a confidante, sweetheart, or flatterer, from an agent derivative of Middle Dutch cosen ‘to whisper’. Perhaps a variant of French Cossard, which is either a nickname for a lazy person or a derivative of cosse ‘pod’ (see Cosse).

59 minutes ago, azmancini said:

20 years of being good? I would say he was likely great the years leading to his MLB career just to make it to the show, but aside from 2017, he has been fairly mediocre by MLB standards. And let’s face it, the years he hit 246, 219, 221, and currently 033, he was bad.

73F86135-B68C-4A3A-9165-B3DC295FB60F.png

I’m referring to his whole life as a baseball player. He’s always known he can play at the highest level, whatever that was. Even when he was “bad” by your standards he was still an everyday player in the major leagues so I’m sure he was pretty confident in himself. 

The issue was his confidence, not his performance. And my point was that anyone who has reached the level he’s reached does not have his confidence shaken that easily. 

I also talked to him today, since that post here, and I can confirm that he seems fine mentally. He admits his swing is not where it should be but he says they’re working hard on it and he seems to know where he needs to get. 

I don’t know if he’s going to get back to 2017 level (probably not) but I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets back up 240/300/350 type performance, which isn’t good but is workable.

11 hours ago, TroutTrumbo said:

Never sign a player who has his best season in his walk year. Cozart looks lost at the plate. He should be a utility guy at this point. It was a bad signing by Eppler. Ward, on the other hand, is awful defensively. Bring up Rojas and let him play third for awhile and see what he brings. 

Texas and Adrien Beltre says high.

1 hour ago, azmancini said:

Thanks for the feedback. I certainly hope he finds it again sooner than later.  

Btw- Since you mentioned “by my standards” Do you believe the  years I cited as being bad by MLB performance standards were not bad, and the others mediocre aside from 2017?  If those years are considered anything close to good years, then for example, the 1973-75 Angel teams would be considered good hitting teams because the lineup was stacked with similiar stat lines...of course, they were not.

For starters, I’d need to see the rest of his stats besides his batting average. Also, he was a pretty good defensive shortstop, so that counts for something. 

And it’s not relevant to my point about his confidence. 

14 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Also, he was a pretty good defensive shortstop, so that counts for something. 

I think that was a huge part of his value....probably wasn’t a great idea to think he would have that kind of value at 3b/2b....hindsight, I know...