• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dont start randomly calling up kids, please

floplag

Everyone is in a hurry to dump half the roster as usual, but you cant go down that path, not yet.  Its way too early to make moves like this and the long term benefit isnt there.
If you start calling up the kids who may not be fully ready you stunt the growth and development. 
Let them have this year on the farm to develop properly as this isnt looking like a season were going anywhere either way.   There is simply no point to doing it now.  
Unless they are absolutely 100% ready, resist that temptation people, its a zero sum gain either way franchise wise.   Call em up second half if you must but i see no benefit to doing so now at all. 

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

The only player I want called up right now is Rengifo if they’ve already assessed his ability to handle failure.  If he’s mentally strong enough bring him up to play second and hit leadoff or ninth and use Fletch as your utility infielder.  

This, but also put Fletcher at 3B often enough to minimize Cozart's big failings so far as a Halos player. 

There are a wide range of "kids" and different developmental stages. Ward, Rengifo, Fletcher, and Walsh were (and are) all on the cusp of readiness. We're going to see all of these guys in the majors at some point, some possibly very soon. Canning and Suarez are not far behind.

So while I agree with you in principle, flop, I don't think it applies to the guys in AAA - at least not to the degree that it applies to, say, Adell, Marsh, Jones, Sandoval, etc.

6 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

There are a wide range of "kids" and different developmental stages. Ward, Rengifo, Fletcher, and Walsh were (and are) all on the cusp of readiness. We're going to see all of these guys in the majors at some point, some possibly very soon. Canning and Suarez are not far behind.

So while I agree with you in principle, flop, I don't think it applies to the guys in AAA - at least not to the degree that it applies to, say, Adell, Marsh, Jones, Sandoval, etc.

there are a few, yes, but considering it was a week ago it was decided to send them too AAA, we need to relax and not overreact over a bad week... for now. 

1 minute ago, floplag said:

there are a few, yes, but considering it was a week ago it was decided to send them too AAA, we need to relax and not overreact over a bad week... for now. 

I agree. As I've said, barring injuries I think you go with what you have for April, then re-assess. If Cozart and La Stella still suck come May  1st (or so) and Rengifo and/or Ward are doing well, call 'em up. If Bour and/or Pujols are sucking and Thaiss is mashing, call him up. If the rotation is horrible and Canning is dealing, bring him up. But I would give it a month or so.

4 hours ago, floplag said:

Everyone is in a hurry to dump half the roster as usual, but you cant go down that path, not yet.  Its way too early to make moves like this and the long term benefit isnt there.
If you start calling up the kids who may not be fully ready you stunt the growth and development. 
Let them have this year on the farm to develop properly as this isnt looking like a season were going anywhere either way.   There is simply no point to doing it now.  
Unless they are absolutely 100% ready, resist that temptation people, its a zero sum gain either way franchise wise.   Call em up second half if you must but i see no benefit to doing so now at all. 

Eppler always says you call up a player based on what you think of him, not based on what someone else is doing. 

7 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I don't think they're going to 'replace' anyone for awhile except for 2b where we might see Rengifo get time or Ward displace Cozart to 2b.  

Any call ups would likely be related to injury until about June or so.  

If Cozart doesn't start hitting soon he needs to be displaced to the bench.

Yeah, I know, he's just one of a half-dozen problems in the lineup.

34 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Eppler always says you call up a player based on what you think of him, not based on what someone else is doing. 

What if it's both? The player is hot down in the minors and the player up with the big league is complete garbage?

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

What if it's both? The player is hot down in the minors and the player up with the big league is complete garbage?

It kind of has to be both, no? If Cozart is hitting like 2017, it doesn't matter how good Ward or Rengifo are doing in AAA - they aren't taking his place. They might move him if the guy at 2B sucks, but Cozart doesn't lose his job.

But I think the point Jeff was trying to make is that you don't call up Ward or Rengifo simply because Cozart and La Stella are sucking. Ward and Rengifo have to earn it.

16 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Heck, if Cozart, Bour and Stella continue to suck we may see Thaiss, Ward and Rengifo up in May if they get off to a strong start in AAA. 

That would be unprecedented and therefore, I don't think its likely.