• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What's with the drop in velocity?

10 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Every pitcher on this team is throwing at a velo well below where we've seen them in recent past.  Is this just post spring dead arm?   Am I wrong?  

They didnt pitch a lot of innings this spring -- it's likely dead-arms, yeah.  Look at how badly the Red Sox SP came out of ST -- they threw even less than our guys after pitching deep into the postseason.

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

They didnt pitch a lot of innings this spring -- it's likely dead-arms, yeah.  Look at how badly the Red Sox SP came out of ST -- they threw even less than our guys after pitching deep into the postseason.

Anderson is topping out at 94

Allen is barely at 90

Harvery is a 95 and was 97 last year

Skagg

Pena

Every single pitcher has dead arm?  This is a little odd.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

Allen is barely at 90

Skagg

Pena

Was he? According to fangraphs his FB velo is the same this year as last year - technically .1 higher on average.

Not that that is a good thing. We want his velocity to bounce back a little to vintage harvey numbers.

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Allen is barely at 90

Skagg

Pena

Cahill was said to have been throwing harder in ST -- so if it's not dead arm stuff or bad gun readings not sure what to make of it.   To be honest I hadn't been paying attention to FB velocity, now that you have brought it up it's something I too will watch.

I dont know what it is, but its ugly.  First time thru the rotation our starters era is 5.84, 25th in baseball. 
Stangely enough bot the Cubs and Red Soz are behind us with the chowds being dead last at over 11. 
I dont think our guys are that bad and it should get better but that first go round was brutal. 
For this team to have a chance to win with our current offense that needs to get cut in like, half.  

One thing to consider it's the first week of the season, and these guys didn't throw all that much in spring training. I think across the board they all threw a little less than normal, either because of injury setbacks or because the team wanted to go slow with them. Given that, for the guys who were in the majors on opening day last year, I looked up their April 18 velocity and compared it to this year. 

Bedrosian, 93.68 in 18, 93.58 in 19 (same)

Skaggs 92.32, 90.87 (down, he was hurt in the spring)

Robles 95.04, 96.27 (up)

Harvey 93.12. 94.70 (up)

Allen 94.52, 91.45 (way down, and this has been chronicled as an issue)

Garcia 97.15, 96.48 (same)

Cahill 92.83, 91.53 (same-ish)

Bard 92.60, 94.93 (way up, this is one of the reasons he's on the team)

Stratton 91.8, 90.5 (same-ish)

N.Ramirez 90.06, 90.85 (same)

We don't know what Anderson, Buttrey or Pena were throwing last April because they were in the minors.

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

One thing to consider it's the first week of the season, and these guys didn't throw all that much in spring training. I think across the board they all threw a little less than normal, either because of injury setbacks or because the team wanted to go slow with them. Given that, for the guys who were in the majors on opening day last year, I looked up their April 18 velocity and compared it to this year. 

Bedrosian, 93.68 in 18, 93.58 in 19 (same)

Skaggs 92.32, 90.87 (down, he was hurt in the spring)

Robles 95.04, 96.27 (up)

Harvey 93.12. 94.70 (up)

Allen 94.52, 91.45 (way down, and this has been chronicled as an issue)

Garcia 97.15, 96.48 (same)

Cahill 92.83, 91.53 (same-ish)

Bard 92.60, 94.93 (way up, this is one of the reasons he's on the team)

Stratton 91.8, 90.5 (same-ish)

N.Ramirez 90.06, 90.85 (same)

We don't know what Anderson, Buttrey or Pena were throwing last April because they were in the minors.

Interesting. Where did you access velocity at a specific point in a season? I know how to find it for the whole year on fan graphs..do they have a filter I'm missing?

52 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Interesting. Where did you access velocity at a specific point in a season? I know how to find it for the whole year on fan graphs..do they have a filter I'm missing?

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/

Poke around there.

You can also do all sorts of cool things with this...

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/