• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Major League Baseball Thread

m0nkey

23 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

No love for disciplined hitting??

Yeah, but I get you. Several of those pitches were pretty bad. He just lost it. Happens.

Oh for sure.  I don’t mean to take anything away from the Dodgers.  But when a guy is going like that.  I mean just let your bat take a rest on a shoulder. 

Max Scherzer is ridiculously good. Already at 5.0 WAR for the year, on pace for his best season at age 34. Its his 7th year in a row of 5+ fWAR and 9th out of 10 with 4+ fWAR. With Kershaw's decline, he's been the best pitcher in baseball according to WAR from 2012-19:

1. Scherzer 46.8

2. Kershaw 46.0

3. Sale 42.2

4. Verlander 36.6

5. Kluber 34.7

On 7/2/2019 at 7:49 AM, Lou said:

This is where FIP is a really solid predictor of future performance. If you look at his ERA and FIP from 2014 to 2019, his FIP of one year always accurately predicted whether his ERA would go up or down the following year. And of course the trajectory is not good - it has gone up each year from 2015 to the present, and if the pattern holds he'll be even worse in 2020.

5 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

This is where FIP is a really solid predictor of future performance. If you look at his ERA and FIP from 2014 to 2019, his FIP of one year always accurately predicted whether his ERA would go up or down the following year. And of course the trajectory is not good - it has gone up each year from 2015 to the present, and if the pattern holds he'll be even worse in 2020.

I remember a few years ago someone put together a list of pitchers who out-pitched their FIP and it showed it was only sustainable for a few years before the performances tank. It may have been a conversation brought up around Weaver’s final years playing.

30 minutes ago, Jinzu said:

I remember a few years ago someone put together a list of pitchers who out-pitched their FIP and it showed it was only sustainable for a few years before the performances tank. It may have been a conversation brought up around Weaver’s final years playing.

yeah, I vaguely remember that. Some pitchers do consistently out-pitch their FIP, but it is rare - and it is usually the smart "pitchability" types like Weaver. Tom Glavine also comes to mind.

But I'm not talking as much about out-pitching FIP, but using FIP as an indicator for the next year. Weaver's FIP also accurately predicted his decline: as it went up, so too did his ERA the following year.

18 hours ago, m0nkey said:

Cody Bellinger hit 2 home runs tonight including the walk off, and has 29 for the year. Dogs win again

The dogs have now won five games in a row, all walk-offs.

This is beyond crazy.

16 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

yeah, I vaguely remember that. Some pitchers do consistently out-pitch their FIP, but it is rare - and it is usually the smart "pitchability" types like Weaver. Tom Glavine also comes to mind.

But I'm not talking as much about out-pitching FIP, but using FIP as an indicator for the next year. Weaver's FIP also accurately predicted his decline: as it went up, so too did his ERA the following year.

His loss of velocity predicted his decline, FIP had nothing to do with it. He simply could not throw the ball with enough velocity to compete in the major leagues.