• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should Williams be left in the rotation?

Like many have said, if Blanton can be removed the team would have a bit of a chance to get on a roll. Once Weaver returns, should Richards get the last spot or leave Williams in?

I looked at his stats since coming on the team. They're serviceable, but I believe Richards should be given the opportunity to screw up the job rather that delegate him to the bullpen. If Jepsen, Madson, and Burnett return , he may not really be needed there and no way should he return to AAA.

Hasn't Richards already screwed it up?  He's been given plenty of chances and hasn't stepped up.

I don't think so. He's been serviceable also but he's younger and has more room to improve. He was sent to the bullpen because it was in such a mess.

Why do you prefer Williams to Richards?

At the beginning of the year I was exited for Richards to be up and even in the rotation because I feel he could be like weaver but. After a few appearances he was just too inconsistent. If he fixes his stuff down in AAA and come up and shows a little more consistency them I'm fine with putting him in the rotation and putting Williams in the pen.

I'm almost tempted to send Hanson to the pen in Williams' former role.   His endurance is a concern to me going forward.

Weaver, Wilson, Vargas, Williams, and Richards

I understand what you're getting at, but that rotation is almost as shaky as one with Blanton. I think Hanson is a better pitcher than Richards or Williams and better yet, he's from the NL so he's not as well known.

At the beginning of the year I was exited for Richards to be up and even in the rotation because I feel he could be like weaver but. After a few appearances he was just too inconsistent. If he fixes his stuff down in AAA and come up and shows a little more consistency them I'm fine with putting him in the rotation and putting Williams in the pen.

I really don't think there's much more for Richards to learn in AAA.

I really don't think there's much more for Richards to learn in AAA.

Agreed.  He's 25 and this team probably isn't going to make the post season, I say they should go with Richards in the rotation for the rest of the year and see if he's able to work out his issues.

I still dont know why they didn't just allow Richards to either sink or swim this season in the rotation rather than going with Blanton.  He is turning 25 in a few days... there's not going to be much longer to keep talking about his "potential" and there's nothing left to work on unless he works on it up here. 

Sucks that a guy with his stuff can't even become an average mid-rotation type guy.

Looking at

he needs to be more consistent. He goes 3 innings with out giving up a hit then gives up 5 runs. He's been hanging out with Blanton too much.

Looking at Richards' stats, he has been pretty crappy. I haven't seen him pitch though. What's his problem?

Right now, I think Williams gives us the best chance to win on a start-to-start basis.

I understand the argument that Richards is (possibly) the better future asset, and I might feel different in a couple months, but today I vote Williams.

He's earned a place in the rotation.

I understand what you're getting at, but that rotation is almost as shaky as one with Blanton. I think Hanson is a better pitcher than Richards or Williams and better yet, he's from the NL so he's not as well known.

It is hard to tell how good Hanson will be for us. We have to see him pitch in order to gauge that.

Looking at

Looking at Richards' stats, he has been pretty crappy. I haven't seen him pitch though. What's his problem?

His problem is he can't locate much of anything. I've never seen a fastball quite like his, which is bad and good. It cuts, dives, and rises which is great for movement but he doesn't know where it's going most of the time. He can't locate his slider much either.

If he harnesses his stuff, he could be really good but he has a long way to go.

I still dont know why they didn't just allow Richards to either sink or swim this season in the rotation rather than going with Blanton.  He is turning 25 in a few days... there's not going to be much longer to keep talking about his "potential" and there's nothing left to work on unless he works on it up here. 

Sucks that a guy with his stuff can't even become an average mid-rotation type guy.

Yet another reason why the Blanton signing makes no sense. At some point they have to give Richards a legit chance to pitch as a starter (More than a couple spot starts) what better time than this season? The team is already playing horribly so if he sucks then it doesn't really hurt the team.

His problem is he can't locate much of anything. I've never seen a fastball quite like his, which is bad and good. It cuts, dives, and rises which is great for movement but he doesn't know where it's going most of the time. He can't locate his slider much either.

If he harnesses his stuff, he could be really good but he has a long way to go.

Hmm. When I look at his stats though, he doesn't seem like a walker. So basically he throws fastballs and hope they miss the bats?

Yet another reason why the Blanton signing makes no sense. At some point they have to give Richards a legit chance to pitch as a starter (More than a couple spot starts) what better time than this season? The team is already playing horribly so if he sucks then it doesn't really hurt the team.

Well, I could see if he was plain awful then send him to AAA to get his head together. But if he's doing OK, you have to give him a chance. I think that's why he's done pretty poorly since returning to the pen. He doesn't want to be there and his emotions are controlling his performance.