• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

Doing a little bit of prepwork for the next prospect coming next Monday, and it's going to be really hard to limit to just 10. 

The following hitters have an OPS over .900 in the last 11 days - all with enough regular playing time and at bats to qualify too. ?

Gareth Morgan, Jarrett Parker, Johan Sala, Jose Verrier, Jose Rojas, Jo Adell, Matt Thaiss, Brennon Lund, Orlando Martinez, Jared Walsh, Jeremiah Jackson, Spencer Griffin, Taylor Ward, Rainier Rivas, Michael Stefanic, Jordan Zimmerman (and all prior are over 1.000 OPS), Michael Hermosillo, Franklin Torres, Jorge Jimenez, Jahmai Jones (!!!!!) - twenty hitters total.

Some All-Star breaks cut a couple days of playing time out of these, but with Orem/AZL's start, all playing time is about equal. Guess we'll see if this weekend winnows out the field some, but this will probably be the first prospect hotlist where every hitter who makes it had an OPS over 1.000 - and a few who did that and still didn't make the list.

The hitters are definitely starting to catch up to our wave of pitching talent that has emerged.

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

Doing a little bit of prepwork for the next prospect coming next Monday, and it's going to be really hard to limit to just 10. 

The following hitters have an OPS over .900 in the last 11 days - all with enough regular playing time and at bats to qualify too. ?

Gareth Morgan, Jarrett Parker, Johan Sala, Jose Verrier, Jose Rojas, Jo Adell, Matt Thaiss, Brennon Lund, Orlando Martinez, Jared Walsh, Jeremiah Jackson, Spencer Griffin, Taylor Ward, Rainier Rivas, Michael Stefanic, Jordan Zimmerman (and all prior are over 1.000 OPS), Michael Hermosillo, Franklin Torres, Jorge Jimenez, Jahmai Jones (!!!!!) - twenty hitters total.

Some All-Star breaks cut a couple days of playing time out of these, but with Orem/AZL's start, all playing time is about equal. Guess we'll see if this weekend winnows out the field some, but this will probably be the first prospect hotlist where every hitter who makes it had an OPS over 1.000 - and a few who did that and still didn't make the list.

The hitters are definitely starting to catch up to our wave of pitching talent that has emerged.

spinal tap GIF

23 hours ago, Blarg said:

Okay let's get this thread back on track with some current Jo Adell pron.

Jo Adell AA .357/.438/.595/1.033

Mike Trout AA  .326 /.414/.544/.958    

I think I may have just sent @tdawg87 to the hospital.

He was going to the hospital no matter what so let him go out with a bang.

23 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Jose Verrier is a 21yo Cuban signed as part of the 2017 intl class but at the very end so he didn't play until last year.  Came in as a CF prospect but word had it that he'd move to a corner.  Supposed to have good PD although he whiffed 69 times in 180 at bats last year with a .609 ops.  

Some power potential.  

They've actually had him playing 2b and 3b so far.  as they did last year.  6 errors in 6 games so far with 3 at 2b tonight.  

playing 3rd tonight he hit his 3rd hr of the year and has already made 3 errors in the first 6 innings.  9 on the season in 7 games.  

12 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

New MLB top 30 -- some new entries, some guys no longer listed....   

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=ana

A total of 17 prospects with 45 grades or better.  

I've been following their rankings for quite sometime and they used to give out 45's like it was Candy.  I do not know if they are becoming more stingy with their ratings or are just not that high on the Angels prospects.  The best that I can recall, MLB.com has our farm system rated lower than both Keith Law and BA.  I am curious to see who moves up and down after the re-rankings.  I think next year we should have another top 10 farm system, and depending on the international guys, we could be a top 5 the year after.  We are expected to sign two of the top international prospects this year.

Since Thaiss’ first two weeks of the season, which were a little slow, he’s gone on to post a .900 OPS, hitting .275/.394/.500/.894 across 264 plate appearances. 

In that time, his 162-game pace would total 24 doubles, 3 triples, 38 HR, 110 RBI, 128 BB, and 131 K.

Only 10 of those 56 games came at 1B, so he’s been learning a new position that whole time, and his .290 BAbip in that stretch, a career-low so far, suggests he’s been a tad unlucky too.

Edited by totdprods

20 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Since Thaiss’ first two weeks of the season, which were a little slow, he’s gone on to post a .900 OPS, hitting .275/.394/.500/.894 across 264 plate appearances. 

In that time, his 162-game pace would total 24 doubles, 3 triples, 38 HR, 110 RBI, 128 BB, and 131 K.

Only 10 of those 56 games came at 1B, so he’s been learning a new position that whole time, and his .290 BAbip in that stretch, a career-low so far, suggests he’s been a tad unlucky too.

It moved.

But seriously....it moved.

But really seriously, it'll be interesting to see what happens with 1B and 3B in the future. Ward, Thaiss ab's Walsh are competing for AB's there,  and at 3B, Thaiss, Ward, Fletcher and La Stella.

Makes me wonder if the Angels will make La Stella an extension offer or if they may consider selling high on him this deadline like winter. 

14 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Starts July 2nd - a bulk of the guys sign pretty quick around there. 

Shortstops Arol Vera (MLB ranked #9) and Adrian Placentia (#28) are among the tops the Angels are expected to sign.

After years of no international presence, the Angels signed a top 30 prospect two years ago (Deveaux, Knowles wasn't highly rated), signed one last year in Alex Ramirez, and are expected to sign two if the top 30's, including one top 10 this year.

Not to mention Ohtani and Maitan, who were both previously the prizes of international players. 

Eppler has turned it around so fast, and at a level I didn't think was possible. 

2 minutes ago, Second Base said:

It moved.

But seriously....it moved.

But really seriously, it'll be interesting to see what happens with 1B and 3B in the future. Ward, Thaiss ab's Walsh are competing for AB's there,  and at 3B, Thaiss, Ward, Fletcher and La Stella.

Makes me wonder if the Angels will make La Stella an extension offer or if they may consider selling high on him this deadline like winter. 

I still think they need to trade one of them, and it might need to happen this deadline or this offseason, before either runs the risk of being Cron’ed, and either failing to get into a rhythm or not getting enough consistent playing time, knocking them back into being more of a SLC/Anaheim shuttling depth piece. 

That’s part of why I’d like to see one be in a larger trade for a pitcher sooner rather than later, especially with La Stella, Fletcher, Rengifo, and hopefully Walsh, and Rojas, all able to similarly provide depth at their positions. Wilson could come along quickly too.

Also feel it’s a good time to try and cash in one the successes of that big group of pitching talent at Burlington/IE - not necessarily the top guys like Soriano, Yan, Bradish, but you’d have to think guys like Molina, Pina, Brady, Wantz have done enough to garner some trade value. 

The OF prospect depth is coming along again, and our starting OF is set for quite a while.

And if you’re trading for a SP, fully intending on signing a SP, and gaining Ohtani back, the Angels can afford to make one Barria, Sandoval, or Suarez available. Madero helps there a bit too.

So between Ward/Thaiss, an A-ball arm, an MLB-ready SP prospect, and maybe an OF prospect, the Angels could put together a pretty enticing package without really hurting themselves.