• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Connecting Flights

NJHalo

How much time do you usually allow between connecting flights? I have been very lucky that I have been able to fly non-stop almost every trip I have taken, but it looks like I will have no choice but take a connecting flight. To anyone who does this on a regular basis, how much time do you need to allow? What if it is on two different airlines? I imagine that would make a difference.

Thanks

Depends on the airlines and the airport, to be honest. 

I don't do the different airline thing, but airports generally have airlines in groups regarding terminals. So if you go to an airport where Southwest is in C but United is in D, depending on how they transport people it could get hairy.

I used to be a last minute show type because I have the TSA pre-board and never need to check in a bag, but recently ran into issues where I should leave a bit more time. Because of the noise ordinance at John Wayne no flight leave after 10pm, but our Vegas flight was the last one out and literally had wheels up at 9:55pm. When we went to KC for Thanksgiving there was that major blizzard that ripped through the middle of the US and while I hate the hoopla and book my flights a day before and after for travel it was a shit show for the airlines because they actually closed the airport the day before we flew out. So it was an hour delay in KC to where we thought we were going to miss our connecting flight in Denver, but after running that one was delayed, too, to come back home.

Generally, I am good with any delay because I can grab a drink and hangout. But I usually do an hour delay because the lag of off-boarding to getting to the next terminal I'm usually on point to board the next plane (there are no non-stop flights to KC except for LAX and SD...which I'm doing next week). But the different airline aspect is a game changer. Check the airport you are connecting to and see where the terminals are for the flights. I generally do Southwest with my upgrades and they arrive and leave together. I'm always in the same terminal. Some airports like Dalls or Denver have trains you have to take to go to different airlines.

16 minutes ago, Tank said:

i like to have 1-2 hours just to make sure i'm not rushed.

I was figuring around 90 minutes or so. I am traveling with the family, so it's not just me, otherwise i would cut it closer. I would hate to start off a vacation on the wrong foot because i miss a connection and lose a day or two, and possibly be without my luggage. 

If it’s the same airline, I’d say 45min-1hr is fine. Different airlines, depending on the airport, I’d want at least 1:30. Dallas seems to be the worst in my experience for connecting flights. They love to put connecting flights for the same airline in different terminals for reasons I don’t understand.

1 hour ago, Don said:

If it’s the same airline, I’d say 45min-1hr is fine. Different airlines, depending on the airport, I’d want at least 1:30. Dallas seems to be the worst in my experience for connecting flights. They love to put connecting flights for the same airline in different terminals for reasons I don’t understand.

Funny enough, Dallas was the first one that popped in my head, too. Then youre sprinting to make that train that goes around the terminals...

On 12/7/2018 at 2:03 PM, Brandon said:

Depends on the airlines and the airport, to be honest. 

I don't do the different airline thing, but airports generally have airlines in groups regarding terminals. So if you go to an airport where Southwest is in C but United is in D, depending on how they transport people it could get hairy.

I used to be a last minute show type because I have the TSA pre-board and never need to check in a bag, but recently ran into issues where I should leave a bit more time. Because of the noise ordinance at John Wayne no flight leave after 10pm, but our Vegas flight was the last one out and literally had wheels up at 9:55pm. When we went to KC for Thanksgiving there was that major blizzard that ripped through the middle of the US and while I hate the hoopla and book my flights a day before and after for travel it was a shit show for the airlines because they actually closed the airport the day before we flew out. So it was an hour delay in KC to where we thought we were going to miss our connecting flight in Denver, but after running that one was delayed, too, to come back home.

Generally, I am good with any delay because I can grab a drink and hangout. But I usually do an hour delay because the lag of off-boarding to getting to the next terminal I'm usually on point to board the next plane (there are no non-stop flights to KC except for LAX and SD...which I'm doing next week). But the different airline aspect is a game changer. Check the airport you are connecting to and see where the terminals are for the flights. I generally do Southwest with my upgrades and they arrive and leave together. I'm always in the same terminal. Some airports like Dalls or Denver have trains you have to take to go to different airlines.

Pretty sure there are still direct flights to/from SNA/MCI.

4 hours ago, Don said:

Pretty sure there are still direct flights to/from SNA/MCI.

Nope. Never have had one nor have I seen one.

I even talked to Southwest yesterday because I’m flying out of San Diego but my girlfriend was talking me into SNA because I literally live next door. The flight one way would have cost my whole round trip price and still have a layover.

I’ve only had direct flights to MCI from San Diego and LAX.

I never go less than 90 minutes, and usually look for 105 - 120 minutes.  You never know when your initial departure may be delayed (incoming flight delayed, mechanical, etc.).  Plus if you are doing carry on, you want to be at the gate when your connection boards so you can grab an overhead bin space.

The other thing about DFW is they never seem to land on the same side as the gate, so you wind up spending a lot of time taxiing around the airport.

15 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Funny enough, Dallas was the first one that popped in my head, too. Then youre sprinting to make that train that goes around the terminals...

the worst for me was minneapolis. had to change planes there and it was over a mile to get to the correct terminal and gate for the same airline. absolutely silly.

I actually like PHX. Their airlines are all in the same terminals in this weird bulb configure but if you have a delay you can bounce around all of the sections. Our flight got delayed last time I flew in PHX and we ate at that higher end French place. My chick also likes Humble Pie, a pizza joint there. She used to work on their corporate taxes. 

Never do less than an hour, else you're risking the slightest delay on your inbound flight to cause you to miss your connecting flight. And if it's the only one out.. you're stuck for the night. 

If not looking for lengthy layover, which have their merits, best to aim for 90 mins to two hours, and have some cocktails at the bar. 

I like the kansas city airport. it was like a better version of burbank, easy to navigate, easy to manuever around, and for a while they had a Cheers bar there with a life-sized cliff and norm sitting on a couple of stools. traffic there was never a problem, either.