• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

7 minutes ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

I’m not knowledgeable on advanced statistics; why is Keuchel so unpopular? Is he another CJ Wilson? Doesn’t a ground ball pitcher play to our defense? Just curious...

Serious question: What defense? Pujols isn’t good at 1B anymore, Kinsler is gone, Cozart has struggled away from SS, and Fletcher seems to be the only positive defensive infielder besides Simmons, obviously. If we expand to outfield, we’re reportedly shopping Calhoun, and Upton is meh. Our defense isn’t necessarily that good as far as I can see outside of Simmons and Trout. 

5 minutes ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

I’m not knowledgeable on advanced statistics; why is Keuchel so unpopular? Is he another CJ Wilson? Doesn’t a ground ball pitcher play to our defense? Just curious...

Keuchel is almost 31 and hasn't pitched like an "ace" since 2015. His average fastball is 89 and his defense-independent stats suggest that he's a good, not great pitcher. Which is why giving him a 5 year deal worth, potentially, $100 million is seriously overvaluing what he's expected to do if he loses anything additional on his fastball or misses some time with injuries. I do agree that the Angels defense could make him look better than he is but his groundball and strikeout rates dropped quite  bit last year so...he's just a high risk for a team that doesn't have a ton of disposable income right now.

10 minutes ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

Basically yes except Keuchel puts the ball on the ground more than Wilson. His velocity is about average for a lefty starter so he isn't really blowing it past guys. He'd fit well on an Angels team with a good defensive infield but at what price? That is the key. I don't think the Angels would give him more than a 3 year deal, maybe 4 max based on his age.

1 minute ago, Sean-Regan said:

Serious question: What defense? Pujols isn’t good at 1B anymore, Kinsler is gone, Cozart has struggled away from SS, and Fletcher seems to be the only positive defensive infielder besides Simmons, obviously. If we expand to outfield, we’re reportedly shopping Calhoun, and Upton is meh. Our defense isn’t necessarily that good as far as I can see outside of Simmons and Trout. 

If Cozart's healthy, I can't imagine him being anything less than "good" at 2B. In a very small sample size, his UZR at 2B was strong and by total zone runs and defensive runs saved, he was fine. Give him a full season there and I wouldn't worry. Fletcher was even better at 3B than he was at 2B, Simmons is money and even Pujols graded out a shade above average at 1B last year. 

16 minutes ago, jessecrall said:

If Cozart's healthy, I can't imagine him being anything less than "good" at 2B. In a very small sample size, his UZR at 2B was strong and by total zone runs and defensive runs saved, he was fine. Give him a full season there and I wouldn't worry. Fletcher was even better at 3B than he was at 2B, Simmons is money and even Pujols graded out a shade above average at 1B last year. 

I think Fletcher gets 2B and Cozart will be at 3B in 2019 unless the Angels make some move we are not expecting.

6 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Everyone seems to be forgetting the most important thing about Keuchel.

He pitched 204 innings last year. Quality innings.

Yet he only averaged 157 the two years prior, and isn’t getting any younger.

I’d give him 3/$60m max - the AAV is high, yes, but anything beyond 4 years seems like you’re pushing your luck. 

43 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Eovaldi said it best.....He only wanted to go to a winning team.....and it was assumed he was speaking of the Astros and Yankee's.....Where do the Angel's come in again during that statement?

This is going to be an issue unless we overpay.  WE need someone to buy into what were selling to set the stage early or were going to have a lot of bridemaids dresses in the closet before the winder wedding season is over. 

46 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Eovaldi said it best.....He only wanted to go to a winning team.....and it was assumed he was speaking of the Astros and Yankee's.....Where do the Angel's come in again during that statement?

And the Angels were a finalist. So he apparently considers them a winning franchise. Sometimes I think y'all are way too down on this team.

Yes they've struggled the past 3 years. But the worst record in 19 years of Scioscia was 2016 at 74-88.

Scioscia had 4 teams with a win total at 78 or less (2016, 2013, 2003, and 2001). He had 8 teams win between 80 and 89 (2018, 2017, 2015, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2006, and 2000), and 7 teams win 90-100 (2014, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2004, 2002).

Before Scioscia, in the 39 seasons, they finished with win  total of 79 or less 22 times, had 12 seasons with wins between 80 and 89 and 5 seasons where they won over 90.

Scioscia transformed the team from an also ran and a "mid-market" franchise into a contender. Every year they have a chance to win the division.

23 minutes ago, Hubs said:

And the Angels were a finalist. So he apparently considers them a winning franchise. Sometimes I think y'all are way too down on this team.

Yes they've struggled the past 3 years. But the worst record in 19 years of Scioscia was 2016 at 74-88.

Scioscia had 4 teams with a win total at 78 or less (2016, 2013, 2003, and 2001). He had 8 teams win between 80 and 89 (2018, 2017, 2015, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2006, and 2000), and 7 teams win 90-100 (2014, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2004, 2002).

Before Scioscia, in the 39 seasons, they finished with win  total of 79 or less 22 times, had 12 seasons with wins between 80 and 89 and 5 seasons where they won over 90.

Scioscia transformed the team from an also ran and a "mid-market" franchise into a contender. Every year they have a chance to win the division.

I was being facetious Hubs!

Seriously.....You always ride my cock. Do you hate anyone else who played the game or just me?

Zero, sense of humor or sarcasm allowed.

Did I mess with you in high school? You seem like an angry dwarf.