• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why not Gio Gonzalez?

Second Base

2 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Like whom?

Keuchel is 31 and will cost a draft pick.

Corbin will be 30 in July and will also cost a draft pick.

Given the choice I'd rather have Corbin, but when it comes to free agency, you aren't going to get a lot younger. Plus, guys like Corbin and Keuchel will get 5 years. Gio might get 2 or 3.

I actually agree that a guy like Gio isn't the solution but the only real solutions involve trades in which we completely decimate our farm system. 

Perhaps the answer lies with signing a guy like Gio and trading for a younger pitcher who won't cost our top prospects. But that's going to be tough to find.

Right now, the Braves and Padres have more mid-rotation or better starters than they know what to do with, and they're all going to be arriving in the next couple years. Basically a bunch of guys that don't project quite as high as Canning, but higher than Suarez and they're all finding significant success in AA. Both the Braves and the Padres also happen to have offensive holes that need to be filled, and not many prospects that project to be major leaguers. 

I really think that if Eppler approaches them about trading our excess (maybe Thaiss, Jones And Hermosillo) for some of their excess, then we could all come away winners, with a more balanced system. 

4 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Right now, the Braves and Padres have more mid-rotation or better starters than they know what to do with, and they're all going to be arriving in the next couple years. Basically a bunch of guys that don't project quite as high as Canning, but higher than Suarez and they're all finding significant success in AA. Both the Braves and the Padres also happen to have offensive holes that need to be filled, and not many prospects that project to be major leaguers. 

I really think that if Eppler approaches them about trading our excess (maybe Thaiss, Jones And Hermosillo) for some of their excess, then we could all come away winners, with a more balanced system. 

Even if we "only" acquired a few another suarez type, it likely is still more valuable to us than a logjam of position players.

Canning and thaiss to atlanta for lesser pitcher and freddy freeman.

(I never get to start any sick lineup / ettin-totprods trades)

9 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

The A's had a much better offense than expected, and while their rotation was adequate (at best), their bullpen really did some amazing things.  And the Brewers.....that team can flat out rake and their bullpen can shorten some games. 

And while I feel Eppler is a very smart, intuitive executive, he just has not been able to build any sort of offense.  Trout, Ohtani, Upton and Simmons is a start, but it's not an offense. It's mediocrity.  They need help, they need to be deeper.

I just don't have a lot of confidence in Eppler's ability to bring in offensively capable players the same way he's able to unearth quality pitchers.  

The bullpen and the rotation ultimately don't concern me.  I mean with Felix Pena's emergence, Ty Buttrey, Alex Meyer and J.C. Ramirez returning from injury and able to handle a couple innings, and Eppler's previous experience finding guys in unexpected places, the bullpen will eventually be a strength.  

And the rotation, I don't think many on this board realize just how good Griffin Canning is going to be.  He's legitimately going to profile in the middle or front of the rotation, and with Skaggs finding his potential before injury, and the long term outlook of Ohtani, and complimentary guys like Barria, Suarez and Sandoval, and the sheer upside of Soriano, Chris Rodriguez and Aaron Hernandez, I think long term, this pitching staff is going to be amazing.  Do we need a couple arms to bridge the gap?  Probably. But I'm not worried. 

But offensively, especially if Trout doesn't stay long term, it's going to be tough.  Thaiss will eventually be a league average 1B, and whoever we have at 2B should be good.  Simmons is steady at SS and should remain so for quite a while.  We hope Ward or Maitan or even Jeremiah Jackson can be the long term answer at 3B but there's a lot of uncertainty there.  The outfield....well we have so many prospects that they'll be a good unit for a long time.  

But we have to get offense somewhere, both in the short term and long term.

We'll either need to develop it, get lucky and find it out of nowhere, or we're going to need to buy it or trade for it. 

how do you have so much confidence in Barria, Suarez, Sandoval, Soriano, Rodriguez, and Hernandez to produce and 'amazing' pitching staff Along with Canning, Skaggs and Heaney yet you don't think Adell, Marsh, Rengifo, Jones, Fletcher, Ward, Thaiss, Adams, Maitan, Jackson, Knowles, and Deveaux aren't enough to create an amazing offense?  

I actually don't see a #1 starter in that entire group.  Outside chance for Canning, Rodriguez and Soriano.  We haven't even seen Hernandez yet.  

I am going to work under the assumption that Trout is staying until he's gone.   Even the 2019 offense will finish in the top 7 (by fWAR).  I agree that the pen will be solid next year.  It will be the rotation that makes or breaks this team for the next 3 years.  

When will the Angels have the courage to put some of these fringe starters into the bullpen?

It seems like in today's game if a guy is marked as a starter he just remains a starter regardless of his performance or his rank on the roster.

In the old days, they throw you in the bullpen and tell you earn your way back to being a starter.

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

When will the Angels have the courage to put some of these fringe starters into the bullpen?

It seems like in today's game if a guy is marked as a starter he just remains a starter regardless of his performance or his rank on the roster.

In the old days, they throw you in the bullpen and tell you earn your way back to being a starter.

As soon as they have enough healthy starters so we don’t have to use 15 starters, half of which were relievers, over the course of a season.   

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

how do you have so much confidence in Barria, Suarez, Sandoval, Soriano, Rodriguez, and Hernandez to produce and 'amazing' pitching staff Along with Canning, Skaggs and Heaney yet you don't think Adell, Marsh, Rengifo, Jones, Fletcher, Ward, Thaiss, Adams, Maitan, Jackson, Knowles, and Deveaux aren't enough to create an amazing offense?  

I actually don't see a #1 starter in that entire group.  Outside chance for Canning, Rodriguez and Soriano.  We haven't even seen Hernandez yet.  

I am going to work under the assumption that Trout is staying until he's gone.   Even the 2019 offense will finish in the top 7 (by fWAR).  I agree that the pen will be solid next year.  It will be the rotation that makes or breaks this team for the next 3 years.  

Because I think a front three (if healthy) of Ohtani, (insert top FA SP here), and Canning can match up with anyone's top three.  Ohtani will be a legitimate CY candidate when he's healthy, and Canning again is better than many think.  If the other is Eovaldi or Keuchel and they pitch up to their ability, we're in very good shape. 

At that point, you just need two to round out the back end of the rotation, and a couple more in depth.  Hard to argue against Heaney and Barria being relied on as back of the rotation types, and if Hernandez is as good as I think he'll be (I'm thinking a Garrett Richards type), that'll be a huge development.  

There's more future upside to that pitching staff than I think many are giving them credit for right now.  

And as for the offense, so much of it with me hinges on Trout.  If the future offense includes Trout (the best player in the majors by a fair margin), Ohtani, Adell, Upton, and we manage to score on the upside of Marsh, Maitan and Adams....then yeah, our offense is going to be....amazing. 

But if Trout is gone, Ohtani is only hitting half the time, Upton doesn't age gracefully and our prospects don't make good on all that potential, the offense is sunk.

I'd prefer a more sure-thing. 

On 10/17/2018 at 3:33 PM, Scotty@AW said:

The A's had a much better offense than expected, and while their rotation was adequate (at best), their bullpen really did some amazing things.  And the Brewers.....that team can flat out rake and their bullpen can shorten some games. 

And while I feel Eppler is a very smart, intuitive executive, he just has not been able to build any sort of offense.  Trout, Ohtani, Upton and Simmons is a start, but it's not an offense. It's mediocrity.  They need help, they need to be deeper.

I just don't have a lot of confidence in Eppler's ability to bring in offensively capable players the same way he's able to unearth quality pitchers.  

The bullpen and the rotation ultimately don't concern me.  I mean with Felix Pena's emergence, Ty Buttrey, Alex Meyer and J.C. Ramirez returning from injury and able to handle a couple innings, and Eppler's previous experience finding guys in unexpected places, the bullpen will eventually be a strength.  

And the rotation, I don't think many on this board realize just how good Griffin Canning is going to be.  He's legitimately going to profile in the middle or front of the rotation, and with Skaggs finding his potential before injury, and the long term outlook of Ohtani, and complimentary guys like Barria, Suarez and Sandoval, and the sheer upside of Soriano, Chris Rodriguez and Aaron Hernandez, I think long term, this pitching staff is going to be amazing.  Do we need a couple arms to bridge the gap?  Probably. But I'm not worried. 

But offensively, especially if Trout doesn't stay long term, it's going to be tough.  Thaiss will eventually be a league average 1B, and whoever we have at 2B should be good.  Simmons is steady at SS and should remain so for quite a while.  We hope Ward or Maitan or even Jeremiah Jackson can be the long term answer at 3B but there's a lot of uncertainty there.  The outfield....well we have so many prospects that they'll be a good unit for a long time.  

But we have to get offense somewhere, both in the short term and long term.

We'll either need to develop it, get lucky and find it out of nowhere, or we're going to need to buy it or trade for it. 

Where are all these great offensive players that we had a legit shot of acquiring ? We have our backs up agains the luxury tax threshold and no farm system so how was he supposed to acquire offense ?