• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Do you think that Arte feels snake-bitten with the Pujols move?

Torridd

9 minutes ago, DMVol said:

With Pujols, I’ve never bought in to the “we knew it was a bad deal at the time but we thought we had a window to win of 3-4 years”......You just can’t kill your payroll flexibility for a decade, with a guy who was past his prime when you signed him ....it was, is and will continue to be a terrible deal, even if Pujols had been more productive and even if we had won a title....The Hamilton deal is inexplicable.....still just mind boggling that Arte and DiPoto (in some combination) agreed to it.....Although it was also a bad signing, CJ’s deal, if you want to take a chance, was more manageable and understandable...he was pretty good when healthy...not worth 75 million but maybe worth some risk....

I keep reading that "Hamilton's deal was bad" or something like that , but I think the board was excited for the most part at the acquisition. I know I was. I didn't think it would go bad.

5 hours ago, Torridd said:

I keep reading that "Hamilton's deal was bad" or something like that , but I think the board was excited for the most part at the acquisition. I know I was. I didn't think it would go bad.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing for sure but I recall questions, beyond the personal issues, about whether Hamilton was declining quickly (he was)...there also weren’t many serious bidders (Seattle was one other, if my memory is correct)....With Pujols, most thought he would still be productive but nothing like his prime years, which has been pretty accurate.....I guess I am, in most cases, just leery of these mega deals in principal but what Arte told Fletcher is right, they are a killer—-Price, Heyward, on and on...To me, it’s why CJ was maybe an acceptable risk—lots of money for sure (75 million) but maybe a better chance that you might get more bang for the buck....hindsight, I know...

20 hours ago, Torridd said:

I was leery about Hackilton’s from the beginning.  At least I seem to remember that (waiting for Lou’s I agree).

That loafing after the ball in his last game for Tejas against the A’s in the 2012 WC game was totally a joke.

On 10/7/2018 at 9:15 AM, Dtwncbad said:

So if Arte used some debt to improve the team, and he carefully managed the debt/equity ratio so that it was the healthiest in baseball, he would be foolish?

There is no debt on the team on his balance sheet.  Do you understand how unique this is?

Do you have a link to the financials?

2 hours ago, yk9001 said:

Do you have a link to the financials?

It has been widely reported many times from many sources over the years that he has no debt on the team.

Do YOU need to see the actual financials or are you among many of us that can have a discussion with a premise widely reported as fact?

2 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

It has been widely reported many times from many sources over the years that he has no debt on the team.

Do YOU need to see the actual financials or are you among many of us that can have a discussion with a premise widely reported as fact?

A lot of shit gets widely reported as fact may or may not have a relationship to the truth. Scioscia said a report of him stepping down was "poppycock". Andrew Heany's arm injury was reported as dehydration.

I'm a CPA. Angels Baseball, LP is privately held. I'd like to see the audited financial statements. I believe very little of what comes out of the mouth of the organization, or their sources.

13 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

A lot of shit gets widely reported as fact may or may not have a relationship to the truth. Scioscia said a report of him stepping down was "poppycock". Andrew Heany's arm injury was reported as dehydration.

I'm a CPA. Angels Baseball, LP is privately held. I'd like to see the audited financial statements. I believe very little of what comes out of the mouth of the organization, or their sources.

It is also widely reported that Mike Trout is from the East Coast.  I suppose you need to see Mike Trout's birth certificate.

On 10/7/2018 at 4:26 PM, DMVol said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing for sure but I recall questions, beyond the personal issues, about whether Hamilton was declining quickly (he was)...there also weren’t many serious bidders (Seattle was one other, if my memory is correct)....With Pujols, most thought he would still be productive but nothing like his prime years, which has been pretty accurate.....I guess I am, in most cases, just leery of these mega deals in principal but what Arte told Fletcher is right, they are a killer—-Price, Heyward, on and on...To me, it’s why CJ was maybe an acceptable risk—lots of money for sure (75 million) but maybe a better chance that you might get more bang for the buck....hindsight, I know...

I absolutely didn't want Hamilton - while his stats were actually good in Texas his walk year, he totally failed the "eye test" - he looked hopeless to me - just massive holes in his swing whenever I saw him play - couldn't hit a breaking ball with a tennis racket.   Pretty much what he looked like playing for us ...

And those eyes - yeesh, he always looked a bit crazy to me.  I didn't foresee the personal issues, of course.  I only wanted us to participate to make his cost higher to Texas or Seattle, but never thought we'd sign him.