• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should we bat Ohtani full-time?

laagamer

8 hours ago, Lou said:

Ok, now I know you didn't watch. He didn't get away with anything in spring training 

No, he left ball up in spring. Which, yes, he didn't get away with. Should've worded that better. I watched the man pitch every game except past the 1st inning in Boston. 

I'm sorry if you don't believe me? 

On last night's game the anouncers were talking about Ohtani being a pinch hitter in the late innings. Kept trying to prop up that angle in the 9th but it never happened. It would have been a Gibson moment had he pinch hit and nailed a walk off but Scioscia was not about to gamble in April with his health for May.

29 minutes ago, Blarg said:

On last night's game the anouncers were talking about Ohtani being a pinch hitter in the late innings. Kept trying to prop up that angle in the 9th but it never happened. It would have been a Gibson moment had he pinch hit and nailed a walk off but Scioscia was not about to gamble in April with his health for May.

Yep, would not have been a good move if Ohtani’s foot fell off running to first base.

40 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Are you sure you watched because we haven't been to Boston yet.

Look dude, I saw him pitch the first inning against Boston. His splitter looked like shit, he threw about 30-40 pitches but only gave up one run. Probably had 4-5 wild pitches. Sorry if I wasn't paying super attention to location, I was watching from the bar where I play in my pool league on Tuesday nights. 

Why am I defending myself? I don't give a rats ass if you believe me or not. 

1 hour ago, laagamer said:

Look dude, I saw him pitch the first inning against Boston. His splitter looked like shit, he threw about 30-40 pitches but only gave up one run. Probably had 4-5 wild pitches. Sorry if I wasn't paying super attention to location, I was watching from the bar where I play in my pool league on Tuesday nights. 

Why am I defending myself? I don't give a rats ass if you believe me or not. 

You did hear about the blisters, right? 

3 minutes ago, Lou said:

But you made that post an hour ago, so you knew about the blisters. 

In my industry we call that an ITM. In the Moment even though the moment is obviously long passed but still the angst is fresh and must be relived as if it were happening now. This is very effective for explaining why Krystal is so heartbroken about being dumped for Kendall on a two on one date, even though Krystal knew Arie heard she had called him a needle dick and other unsavory terms. The angst was real... sort of.

2 hours ago, laagamer said:

Look dude, I saw him pitch the first inning against Boston. 

So, you saw the first inning, which you included in your assessment that his pitches were wild and up in the zone.

13 hours ago, laagamer said:

No, he left ball up in spring. Which, yes, he didn't get away with. Should've worded that better. I watched the man pitch every game except past the 1st inning in Boston

2 hours ago, laagamer said:

Look dude, I saw him pitch the first inning against Boston. His splitter looked like shit, he threw about 30-40 pitches but only gave up one run. Probably had 4-5 wild pitches. 

He had blisters on his pitching hand. That's the reason why he couldn't locate his splitter, not because he's just wild and needs more seasoning. The fact remains his first two starts prove that point, regardless of your analysis. 

I really don't know how you can't follow your own points. 

Edited by Lou

6 minutes ago, Lou said:

So, you saw the first inning, which you included in your assessment that his pitches were wild and up in the zone.

He had blisters on his pitching hand. That's the reason why he couldn't locate his splitter, not because he's just wild and needs more seasoning. The fact remains his first two starts prove that point, regardless of your analysis. 

I really don't know how you can't follow your own points. 

*sigh*

I never said the start against Boston was proof of anything. And him being "effectively wild" obviously doesn't apply to the Boston start. 

Look, whatever you say, dude. I really don't care enough to argue. You're right, I'm wrong. Have a nice day. 

3 hours ago, Blarg said:

Especially against Chapman throwing 100 heat from the left side

1 hour ago, Lou said:

Look dude, I saw him pitch the first inning against Boston. His splitter looked like shit, he threw about 30-40 pitches but only gave up one run. Probably had 4-5 wild pitches

Not proof of anything.

lol 

42 minutes ago, laagamer said:

You're right, I'm wrong.

We know. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

In my industry we call that an ITM. In the Moment even though the moment is obviously long passed but still the angst is fresh and must be relived as if it were happening now. This is very effective for explaining why Krystal is so heartbroken about being dumped for Kendall on a two on one date, even though Krystal knew Arie heard she had called him a needle dick and other unsavory terms. The angst was real... sort of.

I've always wondered about that in reality shows. During confessionals, do the interviewers basically say to the interviewees, "Tell us what you were feeling in that moment, and talk about it like it's happening right now"?

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

This is really helpful, thank you.

The "Ohtani Problem" - that he is so good at pitching and hitting that we want him to do as much as possible - is a good problem to have. But let's remember that we're a month into his major league career. The Angels are starting him off relatively conservatively. It may be that at some point he can start in a five-man rotation, or it may be that that he can work in another game with the bat, only having days off before and after his start, which would ideally placed before or after the team's day off. That means he'd start once a week, 25 or so games a year, and be in the lineup in four of six games, which means 120 starts at DH a year. But I don't think that will happen this year. Maybe the Angels work him up to about 90 starts this year, 100-110 next year, and 110-120 the year after, all while keeping his one day a week pitching routine.

But I think it is either/or: Either he goes to five-man rotation and starts 80 games at DH, or he stays one-day per week but starts 100-120 games at DH. I'd prefer the latter. It is essentially trading 5 pitching starts for 20-40 games at DH.