• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani threw harder than Syndergaard in his first outing

Chuck

16 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

Wow if everything lines up correctly Ohtani will be pitching against Oakland, Kansas City, Boston, Houston and a nationally televised Sunday night ESPN game vs the Yankees on April 29th.

Good tests for him, especially with seeing Oakland in back to back starts. If he pushes through all this okay we can really start to get excited.

I am wondering about this penchant for leaving sliders UP. Is it just lack of command, or is this an intentional location? Most of them were up OUT OF THE STRIKE ZONE, leading me to wonder if this is some strategy of his. It's rather dangerous, admittedly.

The HR by Chapman looked like a true curveball to me, rather than a slider. It wasn't that bad of a pitch.

15 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I read where he was following his routine for getting ready for the season the way he prepared in Japan. If that included throwing at reduced velocity it could have been just what he does. 

Definitely could have been. Give the hitters the perception that his fastball is both straight and only 92-95 MPH, not upper 90's with movement. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

I read where he was following his routine for getting ready for the season the way he prepared in Japan. If that included throwing at reduced velocity it could have been just what he does. 

On the broadcast yesterday they mentioned the same thing.  A former MLB played with Ohtani in Japan and his MO was to take it easy during ST and than flip the switch come regular season.

My personal opinion after watching the game yesterday: Dude has elite stuff. Fastball, slider, curve and especially the splitter all looked top notch. His command seemed a bit shaky though, which may just be an early season thing. He got away with some pretty meaty pitches that just weren’t squared up well by the Oakland hitters. He also looks to be a bit slow to the plate. Might be an easy guy to run on (haven’t seen the numbers on his actual times to the plate out of the stretch yet).

All in all though, his stuff is dirty. If he commands it well consistently, he’s gonna be tough to hit.