• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fangraph's Top 100 Prospect List

eaterfan

Nice to have progress. . .

Still concerned though that prospects ranked 60-100 are not going to me more than passable regulars.

They may end up being the exact players that we all flood this board about, trying to figure out how to upgrade them so the Angels are not so average.

All bodies that can contribute in the majors have value.  I have no beef with any of these guys.  I am pulling for all of them.

Just being cautious with the enthusiasm because a whole team of 1 WAR players is a team we all would be frustrated with.

I think they have Adell way too low though.  He could skyrocket 30 spots on that list with a good 2018.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

Still concerned though that prospects ranked 60-100 are not going to me more than passable regulars.

They may end up being the exact players that we all flood this board about, trying to figure out how to upgrade them so the Angels are not so average.

All bodies that can contribute in the majors have value.  I have no beef with any of these guys.  I am pulling for all of them.

Just being cautious with the enthusiasm because a whole team of 1 WAR players is a team we all would be frustrated with.

I think they have Adell way too low though.  He could skyrocket 30 spots on that list with a good 2018.

baseball prospectus has Adell as #38, but is less optimistic on the rest of our minors.

4 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

That's certainly possible with these players. It could happen to top prospects too (Howie Kendrick was not popular on this board and not an all star). That being said, our prospects on this list are lower down because of distance from the majors (high variance of outcomes) not because of the lack of ceiling.

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I saw that. The kid doesn't have a position to play and he's on an NL team.

Hiura can hit, there's no doubt about that. But he comes with pretty legitimate questions regarding his plate discipline, ability to hit for power, or play a defensive position.

Adell is literally better in very aspect of the game and is 2 years younger.

6 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

That's certainly possible with these players. It could happen to top prospects too (Howie Kendrick was not popular on this board and not an all star). That being said, our prospects on this list are lower down because of distance from the majors (high variance of outcomes) not because of the lack of ceiling.

I agree some are because they are very young but it is not accurate to say "not because of the lack of ceiling."

Many of the Angels "top prospects" do not project past being more than just possible everyday players.

Baseball America rated the Marlins as the 3rd worst farm system in 2012....and that was with Fernandez, Yelich, Ozuna, Realmuto, etc. 

Bottom line is that nobody really knows how these guys are going to pan out, especially prospects in the lower minors (who are a long ways away from the majors). And these projections and rankings can change in a hurry. 

I will reiterate from other threads, but prospects closer to the majors, or more specifically, with longer minor league track records are rated higher on average.

Mike Trout was rated #85 after his first year, and jumped to #2 after his second.

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

I will reiterate from other threads, but prospects closer to the majors, or more specifically, with longer minor league track records are rated higher on average.

Mike Trout was rated #85 after his first year, and jumped to #2 after his second.

Yeah, and if you read his scouting reports he was projected to be an Aaron Rowand type player.  Yet he's now potentially on his way to becoming the GOAT.

Adell is 18-years old (19 in April), has played all of 49 games in the very low minors, and is ranked #66. What do people expect? It is very, very rare that you rate such a prospect higher.

A year from now, Adell could be in the top 10, or he could drop out of the top 100 (unlikely, given his age, even if he stinks up the joint).

The point being, you don't rank a prospect in the top 10-20, and rarely even the top 50, unless they have a strong track record beyond Rookie/low-A ball.

Not all of the Angels top prospects are going to pan out. But chances are, a year from now there will be 2-3 in the top 50, and maybe half a dozen in the top 100. 

52 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

I noticed that Jones was given a low variability rating; combine that with a higher overall rating than I expected and I’m starting to feel optimistic.  

46 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Adell is 18-years old (19 in April), has played all of 49 games in the very low minors, and is ranked #66. What do people expect? It is very, very rare that you rate such a prospect higher.

A year from now, Adell could be in the top 10, or he could drop out of the top 100 (unlikely, given his age, even if he stinks up the joint).

The point being, you don't rank a prospect in the top 10-20, and rarely even the top 50, unless they have a strong track record beyond Rookie/low-A ball.

Not all of the Angels top prospects are going to pan out. But chances are, a year from now there will be 2-3 in the top 50, and maybe half a dozen in the top 100. 

Exactly.  I think people who are upset that Adell isn’t ranked higher need to take a step back and consider a little bit of perspective.  It is very rare to see someone who hasn’t played a game beyond the Rookie league be ranked in the top 50.

Adell’s ranking is excellent.  If he performs in A/A+ this year the way he performed in the Rookie League last year, he will continue to rise.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

the rankings aren't a list of who will be better.  It's their assessment of talent, performance and risk relative to a players current situation.  If we are ranking ceilings for the top 100, Adell is in the top 5.  Marsh the top 20 and Jones, Maitan and Rodriguez in the top 50.  Then it's handicapped for age and downside.  

4 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I agree some are because they are very young but it is not accurate to say "not because of the lack of ceiling."

Many of the Angels "top prospects" do not project past being more than just possible everyday players.

Adell will be much better than a possible everyday player.  My guess is so will Maitan and possibly Jones.  

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Adell will be much better than a possible everyday player.  My guess is so will Maitan and possibly Jones.  

Funny Adell and Maitan are the same exact two I have the most hope for.

Almost all of the rest of the names, I fear, may just be bodies that make it to the majors.

I hope I am wrong, believe me.

10 hours ago, Hubs said:

do you know how much brandon wood's rating changed after his monster season in A ball?