• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fangraph's Top 100 Prospect List

eaterfan

3 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Barria is very underrated. He is at worst a #4 starter in my eyes and could be a #2 if it all breaks right. There's a lot of value there. 

Think Jordan Zimmerman (before he started sucking after he got that fat contract)

I'm with you. I feel of all our current prospects, he has the best shot at reaching his ceiling. Admittedly, he's a lot closer than the others so it's easier to say that, but the dude looks like the type of prospect that is going to grab the opp and never let go once he's in. He's actually the most untouchable prospect to me as the farm currently stands.

And I know the org has changed a lot, but our track record for producing pitchers is pretty solid, and Eppler's weakness has still been finding offense.

6 hours ago, totdprods said:

I'm with you. I feel of all our current prospects, he has the best shot at reaching his ceiling. Admittedly, he's a lot closer than the others so it's easier to say that, but the dude looks like the type of prospect that is going to grab the opp and never let go once he's in. He's actually the most untouchable prospect to me as the farm currently stands.

And I know the org has changed a lot, but our track record for producing pitchers is pretty solid, and Eppler's weakness has still been finding offense.

Until Mike Trout is signed to a long extension, other than Ohtani, the most untouchable prospects in this system remain Jahmai Jones, Jo Adell, Brandon Marsh and Kevin Maitan.

Once Trout signs that extension, then I think it's Barria, Adell and Maitan.

14 hours ago, Tank said:

do you know how much brandon wood's rating changed after his monster season in A ball?

He went from #83 on MLB's list to #3.

Yes that is a cautionary tale, but Wood would've been successful in the majors had he not been as anxiety ridden, and had a better mental makeup. It was the pressure and lack of immediate success that made Wood struggle.

There have been plenty of "top prospects" who never succeeded in the majors, the jump from AAA to the Major Leagues is the biggest jump.

Let's see, 100 prospects, 30 teams;  an average of 3.3 per team should be the norm. We have four;  all in the lower 50. Slightly above average. Meh.

Is this (or the "other" list) anything I should get excited about? Or is it a "relative" thang, based on how poorly our farm system has been rated in the past? 

It's very hard for me to get excited about all these predictive assessments and statistics.  I'm more of a fan who enjoys the "here and now";   especially the pitcher/batter confrontation. As a fan, I dont really care about the percentages of what MIGHT happen. I'll leave that to the front office and the coaching staff.

• 3 weeks later...

Keith Law's Top 100 Prospects

1 Ronald Acuna | OF | Braves
2 Vladimir Guerrero Jr. | 3B | Blue Jays
3 Victor Robles | OF | Nationals
4 Gleyber Torres | SS | Yankees
5 Eloy Jimenez | OF | White Sox
6 Fernando Tatis Jr | SS | Padres
7 Nick Senzel | 3B | Reds
8 Forrest Whitley | RHP | Astros
9 Francisco Mejia | C | Indians
10 Michael Kopech | RHP | White Sox
11 Brent Honeywell | RHP | Rays
12 Bo Bichette | SS | Blue Jays
13 Walker Buehler | RHP | Dodgers
14 Mitch Keller | RHP | Pirates
15 Alex Reyes | RHP | Cardinals
16 Kyle Tucker | OF | Astros
17 Willy Adames | SS | Rays
18 J.P. Crawford | SS | Phillies
19 Brendan Rodgers | SS | Rockies
20 Sixto Sanchez | RHP | Phillies
21 MacKenzie Gore | LHP | Padres
22 Lewis Brinson | OF | Brewers
23 Royce Lewis | SS | Twins
24 Puk | LHP | Athletics
25 Hunter Greene | RHP | Reds
26 Triston McKenzie | RHP | Indians
27 Brendan McKay | LHP/1B | Rays
28 Scott Kingery | 2B | Phillies
29 Alex Verdugo | OF | Dodgers
30 Kyle Wright | RHP | Braves
31 Juan Soto | OF | Nationals
32 Mike Soroka | RHP | Braves
33 Leody Taveras | OF | Rangers
34 Justus Sheffield | LHP | Yankees
35 Keston Hiura | 2B | Brewers
36 Michel Baez | RHP | Padres
37 Luis Urias | 2B | Padres
38 Luiz Gohara | LHP | Braves
39 Luis Robert | OF | White Sox
40 Taylor Trammell | OF | Reds
41 Austin Meadows | OF | Pirates
42 Franklin Perez | RHP | Tigers
43 Austin Hays | OF | Orioles
44 Jesus Sanchez | OF | Rays
45 Alec Hansen | RHP | White Sox
46 Jo Adell | OF | Angels
47 Jack Flaherty | RHP | Cardinals
48 Ian Anderson | RHP | Braves
49 Anthony Alford | OF | Blue Jays
50 Carson Kelly | C | Cardinals
51 Cal Quantrill | RHP | Padres
52 Estevan Florial | OF | Yankees
53 Ryan McMahon | 1B | Rockies
54 Adrian Morejon | LHP | Padres
55 Keibert Ruiz | C | Dodgers
56 Nick Gordon | SS | Twins
57 Corbin Burnes | RHP | Brewers
58 Jorge Mateo | SS | Athletics
59 Willie Calhoun | OF | Rangers
60 Franklin Barreto | SS | Athletics
61 Kolby Allard | LHP | Braves
62 Jay Groome | LHP | Red Sox
63 Monte Harrison | OF | Brewers
64 Jon Duplantier | RHP | D’backs
65 Heliot Ramos | OF | Giants
66 Miguel Andujar | 3B | Yankees
67 Jahmai Jones | OF | Angels
68 Chance Adams | RHP | Yankees
69 Fernando Romero, RHP, Twins
70 Adonis Medina | RHP | Phillies
71 Yadier Alvarez, RHP, Dodgers
72 Albert Abreu | RHP | Yankees
73 J.B. Bukauskas | RHP | Astros
74 Yordan Alvarez | 1B | Astros
75 Sandy Alcantara | RHP | Marlins
76 Shane Baz, RHP, Pittsburgh Pirates
77 Max Fried | LHP | Braves
78 Dylan Cease, RHP, Chicago White Sox
79 Jake Bauers | 1B | Rays
80 Alex Faedo | RHP | Tigers
81 Ryan Mountcastle | 3B | Orioles
82 Michael Chavis | 3B | Red Sox
83 Tyler Mahle | RHP | Reds
84 Chance Sisco | C | Orioles
85 Brandon Woodruff | RHP | Brewers
86 Matt Manning | RHP | Tigers
87 Jorge Alfaro, C, Philadelphia Phillies
88 Kyle Lewis | OF | Mariners
89 Dane Dunning | RHP | White Sox
90 Joey Wentz, LHP, Atlanta Braves
91 Jesse Winker | OF | Reds
92 Jesus Luzardo, LHP, Oakland A's
93 Austin Riley | 3B | Braves
94 Riley Pint | RHP | Rockies
95 Mitchell White | RHP | Dodgers
96 Brett Phillips | OF | Brewers
97 Carter Kieboom, SS, Washington Nationals
98 Beau Burrows, RHP, Detroit Tigers
99 Stephen Gonsalves | LHP | Twins
100 Andres Gimenez | SS | Mets

111 Jaime Barria, RHP, Los Angels Angels
127 Chris Rodriguez, RHP, Los Angeles Angels
136 Brandon Marsh, OF, Los Angeles Angels

8 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

He never puts Japanese players there because he doesn't consider them prospects since they have professional experience. 

minor league players are all professionals.  every professional player that has yet to exceed rookie status is a prospect.  does he exclude cubans?  koreans? guys that played college ball?  guys that have played in the latin american leagues?  

I can see the argument holding some water if the player qualifies to become an outright free agent vs. being subject to intl bonus pool limits and club control.  

what if he were 23, but not as good?  ie, he starts in the minors.  does he become a prospect?  

Ohtani is a prospect that will cease to be after a very short period.  

16 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

minor league players are all professionals.  every professional player that has yet to exceed rookie status is a prospect.  does he exclude cubans?  koreans? guys that played college ball?  guys that have played in the latin american leagues?  

I can see the argument holding some water if the player qualifies to become an outright free agent vs. being subject to intl bonus pool limits and club control.  

what if he were 23, but not as good?  ie, he starts in the minors.  does he become a prospect?  

Don't shoot the messenger

13 hours ago, m0nkey said:

He never puts Japanese players there because he doesn't consider them prospects since they have professional experience. 

I get it for older Japanese players like Hideki Matsui and Ichiro, but Ohtani is 23 years old. 

Others see the competition in Japan equal to what's in AAA, so shouldn't that be considered minor league time there?

13 hours ago, Dochalo said:

^ This

Here is Law's disclaimer:

Editor's note: Age is the player's age as of July 1, 2018. Players with experience in foreign major leagues such as Japan's NPB or Korea's KBO, such as Shohei Ohtani, are ineligible for these rankings.

On 2/6/2018 at 11:50 AM, Scotty@AW said:

Until Mike Trout is signed to a long extension, other than Ohtani, the most untouchable prospects in this system remain Jahmai Jones, Jo Adell, Brandon Marsh and Kevin Maitan.

Once Trout signs that extension, then I think it's Barria, Adell and Maitan.

Because Jones is a CF? That's why he would be untouchable, because he's plays the same position as Trout?

Him looking at infielders gloves makes me very happy. He has a very high floor, so as a 2B, he could play there for a decade or more, if he can make the transition.

9 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Here is Law's disclaimer:

Editor's note: Age is the player's age as of July 1, 2018. Players with experience in foreign major leagues such as Japan's NPB or Korea's KBO, such as Shohei Ohtani, are ineligible for these rankings.

Yes, we know this. Just some of us disagree. 

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

Yes, we know this. Just some of us disagree. 

I think if a player is under a certain age (like the age to which he can be subject to draft/bonus pools) then he is a prospect, so I agree with you.

I agree with Law.  Ohtani is no different than a free agent signing.  He in no way affects our minor league system and if he does it will be a huge disappointment.  I mean, how do you justify calling him a prospect when he will spend zero time in our minor league system.  We want him to be called a prospect so we can jack each other off about the improvement to our farm system.  @tdawg87 will give you a handy regardless of Ohtani being on this list or not. 

8 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

Didn't spend any time in the minors but will be under club control for the same amount of time as a prospect in the system would.

Not really, as a minor league draftee would be under club control for at least 6 years until they are a minor league free agent, then the club can hold on to them for 6 more.