• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Baseball America Top 100 Prospects

southpaw

12 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Posted this on the Prospects thread, but also saw this today....

Keith Law of ESPN ranked five #Angels inside his Top 51-100 prospects:
- OF Jo Adell
, #55
- RHP Jaime Barria, #62
- OF Jam Jones
, #75
- RHP Chris Rodriguez
, #82
- OF Brandon Marsh
, #88

Wow...Law being very aggressive with his rankings(Marsh and Rodriguez being on there). Nice to see some love for Barria

18 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Meanwhile, in the M’s org....

crickets

Nicely done Halos!

Kyle Lewis clocked in at #67. 

Luiz Gohara #23 and Tyler O'Neill #86 were both traded by Dipoto though. Hell there may even be another one or two and I just didn't catch it yet.

9 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

Wow...Law being very aggressive with his rankings(Marsh and Rodriguez being on there). Nice to see some love for Barria

Yeah, nice too because Law has never seemingly been too high on the Angels or their farm, at least pre-Eppler. He has given them a lot more love than usual the last year or so.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

Posted this on the Prospects thread, but also saw this today....

Keith Law of ESPN ranked five #Angels inside his Top 51-100 prospects:
- OF Jo Adell
, #55
- RHP Jaime Barria, #62
- OF Jam Jones
, #75
- RHP Chris Rodriguez
, #82
- OF Brandon Marsh
, #88

wouldn't be surprised to see Maitan in the top 50.  Of course Ohtani will be #1.  So that would give us 7.  Pretty darn good turn around considering that Eppler traded Newcomb prior to the 2016 season to give us the worst system some had ever seen.   It looked as follows:

Ward, Alcantara, Jones, Smith, Cowart, Gatto, Long, McGowin, Jewell, Kubitza.  

Pretty impressive to be where we are just two years later.  

6 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

wouldn't be surprised to see Maitan in the top 50.  Of course Ohtani will be #1.  So that would give us 7.  Pretty darn good turn around considering that Eppler traded Newcomb prior to the 2016 season to give us the worst system some had ever seen.   It looked as follows:

Yeah, Baseball America had a tough time deciding between Vlad Jr. Acuna and Ohtani. Most went with Acuna as they will always select a bat over a pitcher for the top spot if all things are equal, but a couple of guys gave the #1 spot to Ohtani for the fact that he may post the most WAR between the three if Ohtani's bat plays out -- claiming he could get a 4.5 WAR off the mound and 2-3 WAR from the bat.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yeah, Baseball America had a tough time deciding between Vlad Jr. Acuna and Ohtani. Most went with Acuna as they will always select a bat over a pitcher for the top spot if all things are equal, but a couple of guys gave the #1 spot to Ohtani for the fact that he may post the most WAR between the three if Ohtani's bat plays out -- claiming he could get a 4.5 WAR off the mound and 2-3 WAR from the bat.

Pretty frustrating to think we could have 2 of the top 3 if DiPoto passes on Baldoquin and spends International money on Vlad Jr..

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

Law has this disclaimer in his rankings:

"Editor's note: Age is the player's age as of July 1, 2018. Players with experience in foreign major leagues like Japan's NPB or Korea's KBO, such as Shohei Ohtani, are ineligible for these rankings."

So we won't be seeing Ohtani on the list.  I don't think Maitan makes his top 50, so I think what we see in 51-100 is it for us.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

Law has this disclaimer in his rankings:

"Editor's note: Age is the player's age as of July 1, 2018. Players with experience in foreign major leagues like Japan's NPB or Korea's KBO, such as Shohei Ohtani, are ineligible for these rankings."

So we won't be seeing Ohtani on the list.  I don't think Maitan makes his top 50, so I think what we see in 51-100 is it for us.

If Maitan isn't in his top 50, that's really interesting - that means he has Maitan ranked lower than Rodriguez. Kinda feels out of line of the conventional opinion, but closer to the opinion on the board here. Also means that if Maitan has a bounce back year, it could mean some quick dramatic improvement of our farm.

5 minutes ago, krAbs said:

If Maitan isn't in his top 50, that's really interesting - that means he has Maitan ranked lower than Rodriguez. Kinda feels out of line of the conventional opinion, but closer to the opinion on the board here. Also means that if Maitan has a bounce back year, it could mean some quick dramatic improvement of our farm.

Maitan is also a long, long way from the majors and coming off a somewhat-disappointing debut.  I can see how he wouldn't make the top 100 currently.  He could very well vault up with a good showing this year, but I can see how he'd be left off the initial top 100 for this season.

14 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Maitan is also a long, long way from the majors and coming off a somewhat-disappointing debut.  I can see how he wouldn't make the top 100 currently.  He could very well vault up with a good showing this year, but I can see how he'd be left off the initial top 100 for this season.

Yeah, Maitan is farther away than Rodriguez/Adell/Rivas/Marsh. He may need 4 more full minor league seasons. 

I'd like to know realistically when the Angels expect to see Jones, Adell, Marsh, and where they expect to play them. Is Jones a candidate to be here in some capacity in 2019, or will it be 2020? What about Adell and Marsh?

16 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I'd like to know realistically when the Angels expect to see Jones, Adell, Marsh, and where they expect to play them. Is Jones a candidate to be here in some capacity in 2019, or will it be 2020? What about Adell and Marsh?

Probably 2019 Jones will debut, 2020 for one of Marsh and Adell. 

So we don't see Marsh or Adell moving through the system at a Trout-like pace? Or Calhoun for that matter, though Calhoun of course was a college bat.

Trout did see some action in Low A his first year in the minors, though it was only 5 games. Neither Adell or Marsh did that. But it was really his 2010 season that rocketed him to the top of prospects lists.

Trout (2009) Rk: 44 games, .352 / .419 / .486

Adell (2017) Rk:  18 games, .376 / .411 / .518 and then did .288/.351/.542 in the AZ Fall League

Marsh (2017) Rk: 39 games, .350 / .396 / .548

Trout was ranked in the mid-eighties after his debut. He was also in his age 17, as opposed to Adell being a few months older (Born in April vs. August) and Marsh being 19 (Born December a year earlier, drafted at 19).

Trout (2010) A/A+: Dominated Low A at .362 / .454 / .526 then hit .306 / .388 / .434 in High A as an 18 year old. In 2011, he was ranked the #3 prospect, and lived up to it as in 91 games in AA he hit .326 / .414 / .544 before being called up to the show, where he didn't exactly light the world on fire.

Then in 2012, just two and a half seasons after being drafted, he was the best player in the majors.

I don't expect that, but I guess I'd be hoping to see these guys at some point in 2019, leaving to really contribute in 2020. At least one of them I hope to be ready to take Calhoun's spot in RF after 2019.