• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Anyone use MoviePass?

I signed my wife and I up this week. I had MoviePass back in the day (2014) when it was $30 per month, and I was single and would see about 5 movies a month. I ended up cancelling because the theater I liked to go to didn't accept it. Now, it's $10 per month per person, and all of the theaters in Orange County take it. We'll go to a movie every weekend now, and with $15+ ticket prices at OC movie theaters, we'll save money the first time we go to a movie.

They're apparently playing the long game by gathering enough subscribers to build a hub of data companies can use for targeted ads. Plus, with less people going to movies nowadays, this could be a paradigm shift. 

Apparently their customer service blows, though. For people who don't have any issues, it's an incredible deal. For people who encounter glitches, they'll have immense difficulty getting ahold of a customer service rep. MoviePass will have to fix that if they want to last.

On 1/5/2018 at 1:23 PM, Taylor said:

I signed my wife and I up this week. I had MoviePass back in the day (2014) when it was $30 per month, and I was single and would see about 5 movies a month. I ended up cancelling because the theater I liked to go to didn't accept it. Now, it's $10 per month per person, and all of the theaters in Orange County take it. We'll go to a movie every weekend now, and with $15+ ticket prices at OC movie theaters, we'll save money the first time we go to a movie.

I thought you were in Colorado.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

how do you get a movie pass?

https://www.moviepass.com/

You sign up, pay $9.95, and then they ship you the card. Once you get the card, you can start using it at theaters.

How it works is you go to the movie theater, open the app on your phone and check in for the movie and time you want, and then MP loads the exact price of the ticket onto your MP card. You then get your ticket at the window or kiosk, using the MP card like a debit card.

Bought it when it was $89/year around Black Friday. I’ve used it a few times since. The good news, of course, is that it more than pays for itself if I use it even 1-2 times/month. The bad news is that you have to be within 100 yards of the theater and wait until a half hour before the movie start time to check in. So, if it’s a Friday night screening of something new and popular, there’s a good chance you’ll be SOL. But if you’re using it in pretty much any other situation it’s awesome.

On 1/8/2018 at 2:17 PM, Taylor said:

https://www.moviepass.com/

You sign up, pay $9.95, and then they ship you the card. Once you get the card, you can start using it at theaters.

How it works is you go to the movie theater, open the app on your phone and check in for the movie and time you want, and then MP loads the exact price of the ticket onto your MP card. You then get your ticket at the window or kiosk, using the MP card like a debit card.

can you use it at any theater or just a certain chain or two?

15 hours ago, Don said:

Bought it when it was $89/year around Black Friday. I’ve used it a few times since. The good news, of course, is that it more than pays for itself if I use it even 1-2 times/month. The bad news is that you have to be within 100 yards of the theater and wait until a half hour before the movie start time to check in. So, if it’s a Friday night screening of something new and popular, there’s a good chance you’ll be SOL. But if you’re using it in pretty much any other situation it’s awesome.

This part isn't true. It used to be the case, but when they rolled out the new pricing option, they gave more flexibility. Now you are able to check in at any time on the calendar day of the movie. So if it's a popular movie, you can stop by the theater in the morning and get your ticket, or you can show up 1-2 hours early and get your ticket, etc.

31 minutes ago, Tank said:

can you use it at any theater or just a certain chain or two?

They claim that 90 percent of theaters accept it. If you go to the website, you can plug in your ZIP code and it will show you all the theaters in the area that accept MP. All the big chains (Regal, AMC, etc.) take MP. The only issue you might have is at an independent, non-chain theater.

There are also a couple chains that have "e-tickets" (Goodrich Quality Theaters, Studio Movie Grill, and MJR Theatres ... I've never heard of any of these chains), which allow you to buy the ticket on your phone rather than having to check in at the theater.

• 6 months later...

I’m really not sure how much longer MoviePass will stay in business. Well, at least with it’s current model/brand. They’ve had to make a number of changes in terms of movie availability/pricing lately, which is pretty bad for the brand simply because their whole thing was pay X per month and see any movie any time. It looks like the financial hole they went into to get subscribers is finally coming back to bite them. And while they scramble for solutions to stay above water, they’re really just alienating a customer base that was never very loyal and always a bit suspicious of the idea to begin with. I really won’t be shocked if they go under within the next year. At the very least I’d expect a complete overhaul of their business model along with a name change/rebrand.

22 minutes ago, Don said:

I’m really not sure how much longer MoviePass will stay in business. Well, at least with it’s current model/brand. They’ve had to make a number of changes in terms of movie availability/pricing lately, which is pretty bad for the brand simply because their whole thing was pay X per month and see any movie any time. It looks like the financial hole they went into to get subscribers is finally coming back to bite them. And while they scramble for solutions to stay above water, they’re really just alienating a customer base that was never very loyal and always a bit suspicious of the idea to begin with. I really won’t be shocked if they go under within the next year. At the very least I’d expect a complete overhaul of their business model along with a name change/rebrand.

I don't see them coming back from this, but I do think it'll be net positive because they showed the big theater chains there is a market for this sort of subscription product, and they'll come up with their own versions.  

3 hours ago, well_red said:

I don't see them coming back from this, but I do think it'll be net positive because they showed the big theater chains there is a market for this sort of subscription product, and they'll come up with their own versions.  

Agreed in that it definitely shows that a subscription service model is viable, or more accurately, would be very sellable to viewers. However, their latest restrictions (limited showtimes and blacking out new/popular movies) is basically them taking back a significant portion of what they sold to subscribers. I’d think they have a class action suit coming their way.

Update: I checked the app late this afternoon, and they’re literally offering no showings of anything at any theaters in my market through the app. I think the business might actually be failing in real time.