• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Poll: Who signs Shohei Ohtani?

Second Base

Poll: Who signs Shohei Ohtani  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Who signs Shohei Ohtani

• Padres
    • Dodgers
    • Angels
    • Giants
    • Mariners
    • Rangers
    • Cubs

the fact that Ohtani doesn't hit when he pitches can cross out the NL teams. so, they have a small chance, 15% padres, 10% dodgers and 5% Cubs

Mariners- they have an aging roster, with not much going in the farm system. Nothing after Paxton, still a decent lineup but also have a terrible manger. than they had the greatest Japanese player to ever play. I would give them a 25 % chance just do to being a west coast, team    

Angels- a mix of veterans and guys at there primes, a system that should be ranged towards the middle in a year or 2 and talent coming up in 2-3 years time. Best player in the game plus a mentor that was once greatest player in his prime. A young pitching staff, never had a Japaneses start. I can see the injury to the Sp decrease our chances at about 35%

Texas- combination of young and aging starts, Rotation not strong at all, system is OK, but not great. Weather? not a pitchers park but a good hitters park. had Darvish- 10%

If only we could find a team with no Japanese superstars, who is in a small market, on the west coast, and doesn't have pitchers hit on the same day they pitch...

That being said, I feel like the fact that the Padres are in there means he REALLY wants to go to them in his heart of hearts, so we'll see.

And I think it will be intetesting. Seattle really supports their Asian ball players. Huge amount of support. Ohtani would do well there. Not much of a future but a contender at present.

We have Mike Trout and are in a better position to compete long term. We'll likely support an Asian star as well. 

The Giants have Mad Bum and have really allowed him to develop as a pinch hitter, so there's some precedent there.

I really think it comes down to these three teams. 

Prior to Eppler making that trade for Johnson and more international money, I would have had the Angels at 0% on signing Ohtani.  In fact, I would have thought the Angels were just not interested at all. 

The fact that Eppler decided to let Petit go to trade for Johnson (and more importantly, that money), shows me Eppler feels they have a legit shot at Ohtani.

I think the NL teams have two things going against them.  No DH option and he would have to hit on days he pitches which he doesn't like to do (according to reports).

The Rangers aren't on the west coast and that will hurt their chances a bit. 

I think when the meetings are done, it all comes down to the Mariners and Angels.  If he chooses the Mariners, he will have to deal with endless comparisons to Ichiro.  With the Angels, he can build his own Japanese legacy/legend with the organization.

I give the Angels the edge on this one.  

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

I would say it comes down to the Angels and Mariners.  There’s way too many rumors about what he wants and doesn’t want.  I don’t believe the rumor that he doesn’t want to play where another great Japanese players has played.  If I believed that it would eliminate Seattle.  I do believe he wants to pitch and hit, so the best bet for him is an American League team, since he hasn’t played the field much over the past several years, he’s strictly been a pitcher and DH.  That may not eliminate the Giants but I don’t think it elevates them over the Angels either.  

It would exclude the Angels too, but I doubt that matters to him.

Having spoken to Dipoto over the years and seeing him speak at our events for three years in a row, he's a charmer, attractive personality and knows his baseball. 

He would seem to have an edge, though I've never spoken to Eppler or seen him work  behind the scenes so it's hard to compare the two. 

8 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

Prior to Eppler making that trade for Johnson and more international money, I would have had the Angels at 0% on signing Ohtani.  In fact, I would have thought the Angels were just not interested at all. 

The fact that Eppler decided to let Petit go to trade for Johnson (and more importantly, that money), shows me Eppler feels they have a legit shot at Ohtani.

I think the NL teams have two things going against them.  No DH option and he would have to hit on days he pitches which he doesn't like to do (according to reports).

The Rangers aren't on the west coast and that will hurt their chances a bit. 

I think it when the meetings are done, it all comes down to the Mariners and Angels.  If he chooses the Mariners, he will have to deal with endless comparisons to Ichiro.  With the Angels, he can build his own Japanese legend with the organization.

I give the Angels the edge on this one.  

Yep. The Mariners have had a legit position player in Ichiro, a dominant closer in Sasaki and a very good pitcher in Iwakuma. Same is true really for the Dodgers with Nomo, Maeda and that fat Japanese pitcher I cannot remember his name that turned out to be a bust after all the hype. 

The Angels have really only had Shiggy, but Ohtani probably was too young to remember him pitching in middle relief for the Halos. 

Here is an interesting idea for Eppler.  This Marlins blog believes the Marlins would be willing to trade Gordon and more international money.  Maybe Eppler should trade for Gordon, which solves the 2B issue, and get some international money to add to what the Angels can offer.  It sorta makes sense. 

https://www.fishstripes.com/2017/12/4/16733590/mlb-trade-rumors-the-angels-now-have-additional-incentive-to-trade-for-dee-gordon

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yep. The Mariners have had a legit position player in Ichiro, a dominant closer in Sasaki and a very good pitcher in Iwakuma. Same is true really for the Dodgers with Nomo, Maeda and that fat Japanese pitcher I cannot remember his name that turned out to be a bust after all the hype. 

The Angels have really only had Shiggy, but Ohtani probably was too young to remember him pitching in middle relief for the Halos. 

I rea

Shig heads a baseball talk show in Japan and sells real estate out of Irvine..   Having lived in both Seattle and OC, he chose OC to settle in.