• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jose Reyes perhaps?

Second Base

If the Angels are looking for a RH platoon partner for 3B that can hit lefties pretty well and handle utility infielder duties, Jose Reyes is a decent option.  Between the four infield spots and his platoon share at 3B, as well as late game pinch hitting and pinch running duties, he'd probably get a fair share of playing time. 

Here are his stats last year - https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/reyesjo01.shtml

Makes good contact, decent plate discipline, offers speed and pop.  Yule Escobar is the far likelier option if the Angels go the FA route to find someone to share time with Valbuena at 3B, but admittedly, Reyes fills a lot of needs. 

Jose Reyes would mean the Halos would have a platoon type situation for 2B/ 3B --- is that what we want?

Sometimes platoons work -- more often they don't.

Reyes is not the all around player he once was - he's probably lost a step or two in speed which is a real performance issue for speedster players like Reyes. Live by the wheels, and deteriorate by the wheels........

where did Reyes wind up last year? Colorado? Coors Field -- I have to check to see.......he did ok as a part time guy, spent some time on the DL.

Depending on what the Halos would pay for him -- I could see him filling that Mark McLemore, Chone Figgins type role being versatile and while not a starter per se - getting 300 ABs or so and helping the team.........what is Reyes these days ? 35/36 years old?   When he first came up (with the Mets?) he was quite the ballplayer -- even had some decent power in addition to speed, hit for an average, stole bases and was better than average with the glove at 2B (more so than 3B).

Reyes is 34 -- I remember him at Coors with Colorado -- he was back with the Mets the past two seasons. Heck - last year he had 501 ABs.

He's not being retained by the Mets?

He'd be an option but with 501 ABs last year -- he'l want starting line  up kind of money and at 34 - a multi-year deal -- perhaps his last big MLB contract.

I don't think we can sign him for the kind of money we'd want to spend on a bench depth guy -- even though it's the extra money contenders spend on the depth guys like this (both position players and pen depth guys) that make them contenders..........

If we aren’t able to sign long term players for both 2nd and 3rd, Reyes at 1/$6 million would be better than Kinsler at $11-12 million. 

My first choice is to trade for our future everyday 2nd baseman.  Next would be someone like Cozart for 2-3 years.   If that doesn’t work then I’m good with one of these guys for a year at 2nd.  Hell it isn’t like they are really blocking anyone. 

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If we aren’t able to sign long term players for both 2nd and 3rd, Reyes at 1/$6 million would be better than Kinsler at $11-12 million. 

My first choice is to trade for our future everyday 2nd baseman.  Next would be someone like Cozart for 2-3 years.   If that doesn’t work then I’m good with one of these guys for a year at 2nd.  Hell it isn’t like they are really blocking anyone. 

you would rather have reyes over kinsler because of 5 million dollars? i'm definitely not on that train.

i'd like the angels to be good next year and reyes doesn't move the needle at all.

10 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Am I missing something here? Reyes is 35 and hasn't been good since 2014. If he's playing 2nd or 3rd for the Angels next year then something went very, very wrong.

Address 2B and upgrade 1B, Reyes could platoon with Valbuena at 3B.

I'd love to look at Hjowie Kendrick for 3B honestly.

13 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Am I missing something here? Reyes is 35 and hasn't been good since 2014. If he's playing 2nd or 3rd for the Angels next year then something went very, very wrong.

Since 2013, I think that is what you mean. His last good year with the bat was in 2013, and then in 2014, he was just an average hitter.

5 hours ago, disarcina said:

Jose Reyes would mean the Halos would have a platoon type situation for 2B/ 3B --- is that what we want?

Sometimes platoons work -- more often they don't.

Reyes is not the all around player he once was - he's probably lost a step or two in speed which is a real performance issue for speedster players like Reyes. Live by the wheels, and deteriorate by the wheels........

where did Reyes wind up last year? Colorado? Coors Field -- I have to check to see.......he did ok as a part time guy, spent some time on the DL.

Depending on what the Halos would pay for him -- I could see him filling that Mark McLemore, Chone Figgins type role being versatile and while not a starter per se - getting 300 ABs or so and helping the team.........what is Reyes these days ? 35/36 years old?   When he first came up (with the Mets?) he was quite the ballplayer -- even had some decent power in addition to speed, hit for an average, stole bases and was better than average with the glove at 2B (more so than 3B).

Sounds like the cheap option to me. I wouldn’t mind having a platoon at one position. Preferably in my preference 1st with Cron and Luis. But in saying that I have read many different things, and this team can go in many different directions.. we will see.