• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

greginpsca

6 hours ago, totdprods said:

Guy was absolutely filthy last year. I'm actually surprised he didn't get more in years so I think it's a fair deal.

He definitely was.

But I cant recall a worse, six-pitch outing, ever, than the one he had in game 5 of the World Series. He was just gassed and rightfully so.

I will remember game 5 till the day I die for two superlatives. 1-it was the most exciting World Series game I ever saw and 2-it was, without a doubt, the worst strike zone I have ever seen an umpire have. I still look back at that game in the MLB archives and some of those strike calls were just ludicrous. All game long. Against both sides. That ump had to have been called into the MLB offices after that horrible performance. It was worse than a Joe West strike zone. 'Nuff said.

Seems like he would have made more sense for the Mariners and would have cost a whole lot less. Jerry may have even been able to get some int'l money haha

Yankees are believed willing to pay half or so of the 68M to go on ellsbury in a potential trade. Bigger hurdle: getting him to waive full no-trade clause (he wants to stay)

Any opportunity here for the Angels to nab some Yankee prospects? They have several intriguing pitching and infield prospects. Ellsbury would be exceptionally expensive as a 4th OF, but he'd fit the bill and if good NYY prospects could be 'bought' in a deal it could be of some interest. Tyler Wade, Andujar, Ford, Acevedo...

Ken RosenthalVerified account @Ken_Rosenthal 7m7 minutes ago
One way for #Yankees to trade Ellsbury, assuming he will waive no-trade: Attach quality prospects. New team effectively would “buy” the prospects to take on negotiated percentage of Ellsbury’s contract: $21.1M through ‘20, plus $5M buyout for ‘21.

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Any opportunity here for the Angels to nab some Yankee prospects? They have several intriguing pitching and infield prospects. Ellsbury would be exceptionally expensive as a 4th OF, but he'd fit the bill and if good NYY prospects could be 'bought' in a deal it could be of some interest. Tyler Wade, Andujar, Ford, Acevedo...

One way for #Yankees to trade Ellsbury, assuming he will waive no-trade: Attach quality prospects. New team effectively would “buy” the prospects to take on negotiated percentage of Ellsbury’s contract: $21.1M through ‘20, plus $5M buyout for ‘21.

Ellsbury and Miguel Andujar for Jacoby's contract? 

27 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

So far Billy has given me the impression he doesn’t need to/want to take on bad contracts. 

But if there was ever a team I’d feel 100% comfortable with him taking on a bad contract with itd be the Yanks with his knowledge of their farm

I think the economics of the game have changed a bit as well - teams are a lot more wary about dealing away prospects now, even if it helps shed a bad contract.  It was 'en vogue' briefly a few offseasons back and seemed to make sense but teams really value those prospects now.

Still - Eppler has enough financial flexibility to play with options like this though, especially with the Yankees since he knows their farm, and since their farm is so deep. A discounted Ellsbury in the Revere role would still be extremely cost-inefficient but if he feels strongly about an arm and an infielder coming back it might not be a total miss.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

That really is a big contract, so how much of it would  we have to eat for a good prospect. 

Angels- Ellsbury plus Nick Solak

Yankees- 30 mil 

we are paying Ellsbury around 10 mil for the next 3 years. 

5 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

That really is a big contract, so how much of it would  we have to eat for a good prospect. 

Angels- Ellsbury plus Nick Solak

Yankees- 30 mil 

we are paying Ellsbury around 10 mil for the next 3 years. 

The Stanton deal forces them into a position where they really have to shed some money so depending on how desperate they are, you may be able to get them to eat quite a bit or really pay up on the prospect front. Tyler Wade would look nice at 2B. 

Ellsbury would be overpaid as all hell even with NYY eating a lot of money for a 4th OF, but he'd fill needs nicely and would be a sufficient guy to drop into the lineup if someone gets hurt for a couple weeks. I know we'd love to see Herm get those oops to though, but it also frees him up a bit more, if needed, for a trade. 

(For the record this isn't the path I'd pursue - just trying to lay out how it could work)

21 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

They were around $20 million under the threshold or around there, so they still have enough to make another move. They'll likely look to trade some of their prospects for another starter under club control(Gerrit Cole rumors) and then perhaps re-sign Frazier for 3B or something like that

They’ll re-sign Frazier and give Gleyber Torres second base. They have a pretty solid club but so do the Angels.

2018 ALCS Yankees vs Angels!