• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Good news! Scioscia will be back for the final year of his contract

Chuck

So here's my take and it's gonna be unpopular:

Trout likes Scioscia.  Pujols likes Scioscia.  Arte like Scioscia.  Eppler likes Scioscia.  

They have a strong clubhouse and MS has a lot to do with that.   Everyone in it believes that the team has had a rough couple of years because of Arte, Dipoto and injuries.  Not Scioscia.  

Having a different manager just for the sake of doing so isn't likely to translate into more wins.  More talent equals more wins.  

You know what's going to make Scioscia look good in 2018?

Another 7 WAR bullpen

Justin Upton for an entire year

100+ starts from Richards, Heaney, Skaggs and Shoe.  

Cesar Hernandez at 2b and batting lead off.  

Pujols losing 20lbs in the off season and having a rebound year

Calhoun being better 

Simmons staying the same

etc.  

As it stands, they don't have enough major league talent to warrant making a change.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

Trout likes Scioscia.  Pujols likes Scioscia.  Arte like Scioscia.  Eppler likes Scioscia.  

They have a strong clubhouse and MS has a lot to do with that.   Everyone in it believes that the team has had a rough couple of years because of Arte, Dipoto and injuries.  Not Scioscia.  

Having a different manager just for the sake of doing so isn't likely to translate into more wins.  More talent equals more wins.  

Another 7 WAR bullpen

Justin Upton for an entire year

Cesar Hernandez at 2b and batting lead off.  

Pujols losing 20lbs in the off season and having a rebound year

Calhoun being better 

Simmons staying the same

etc.  

As it stands, they don't have enough major league talent to warrant making a change.  

mDcMN7G.gif

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

lol "Pujols likes Scioscia so thats enough reason to keep him here forever"

Ofcourse Pujols likes Scioscia, Scioscia is the only idiot on planet earth that still thinks hes a moto bat.

Actually not putting Pujols in the 3 spot to waste away many rallies from his dp's and clogging the bases with his lack of speed equals more wins.  Pujols had the lowest WAR of any player in baseball for a reason.  It was -2.0 for god's sake.  Angels need a manager who puts team wins first - not Pujols' ego.   And learning how to manage a bullpen effectively also helps.

Scioscia is not the only manager in baseball who had to deal with injuries last year.   I'm pretty sure every team had to deal with injuries.  This problem is not exclusive to Mike Scioscia.

10 hours ago, Stradling said:

How in the world would you have any idea if he is a Scioscia clone or not?  How do you have any insight on that?  What have you read to make you think that?  Who do you know in the clubhouse that has told you this?  Is Maddon a Scioscia clone?

So you're saying he hired Ebel to directly contradict him or did he hire him because they share the same terrible baseball philosophy?

7 hours ago, Billy_Ball said:

Basically Maddon is a Scioscia clone too, with more personality.

How so?  Maddon was coaching for 25 years before Scioscia even started.  So how can Maddon be a Scioscia clone?

It's more like Scioscia trying to be like Maddon except Scioscia puts veterans ahead of winning, cant adapt to the times, and is too predictable especially in the late innings.

13 hours ago, DMVol said:

I wouldn't switch managers after a playoff appearance...but what we don't know is how good their relationship is...heck they may genuinely like each other and work well together...it happens sometimes, even when it's not the guy you hired.

Yeah...the Giants switched managers after going to the 7th game of the World Series in 02 and it was a complete disaster for the franchise. They never recovered. 

19 minutes ago, Homebrewer said:

Yeah...the Giants switched managers after going to the 7th game of the World Series in 02 and it was a complete disaster for the franchise. They never recovered. 

Every situation in different....you make the move that puts your franchise in the best position to win....If we make the playoffs next year, I don't know what Eppler would do (and neither do you)....He gets paid to make that decision....I just made an observation....I think the Dusty Baker/Giants split after 2002 was somewhat mutual (he went to the Cubs)....Felipe Alou had a great year in 2003 but they didn't do much after that until 2010 (Bochy was manager)....so you can argue either way....again, I think Eppler has to weigh what he thinks works best.

This probably won't be popular but I have been all for getting rid of Scioscia in the past but I think this is one of those situations where you don't realize what you have until you don't have it. I can see us getting rid of him and bringing in some hack and the board crying for someone of Scioscia's caliber. He may make some bad decisions from time to time but I feel better with him than most other options out there. Sure there's a handful of guys I'd rather have, but getting them here would be very hard to impossible.

On 10/3/2017 at 10:05 AM, zenmaster said:

This probably won't be popular but I have been all for getting rid of Scioscia in the past but I think this is one of those situations where you don't realize what you have until you don't have it. I can see us getting rid of him and bringing in some hack and the board crying for someone of Scioscia's caliber. He may make some bad decisions from time to time but I feel better with him than most other options out there. Sure there's a handful of guys I'd rather have, but getting them here would be very hard to impossible.

Like i always say...be careful what you ask for.  Terry Collins is available.

On 10/3/2017 at 12:05 PM, zenmaster said:

I agree with you. 

Tim Bogar, Gary DiSarcina, and Scott Servais were all the 'hot' manager prospects a couple years back and here we are a couple years later and two still haven't gotten a job and one is still Scott Servais.

Obviously 'manager prospects' are things really difficult for a fanbase to project, but there isn't anyone out there freely available who I think is an immediate improvement. That's not to say I'm against Scioscia departing after '18, but I don't think I'd complain if he returned, so long as it was under a reasonable contract.

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

How did he F up last night?

I didn't watch the second half of the game, but apparently chisenhall got hit by a pitch on a 0-2 count with 2 outs that didn't really hit him, which was clear on replay.  Lindor was the next hitter who then hit the grand slam.  Girardi's said after the game that he didn't want to take his pitcher out of a rhythm, which is absurd.  You have to challenge the call

1 minute ago, m0nkey said:

I didn't watch the second half of the game, but apparently chisenhall got hit by a pitch on a 0-2 count with 2 outs that didn't really hit him, which was clear on replay.  Lindor was the next hitter who then hit the grand slam.  Girardi's said after the game that he didn't want to take his pitcher out of a rhythm, which is absurd.  You have to challenge the call

Yea I saw that play, but didn’t hear his quote after the game.  They were speculating on tv that he ran out of time to challenge, and hadn’t seen that definitive replay.  It seemed like it took an inning or two to show the replay that was conclusive.