• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

CBS Sports "The Angels have an Albert Pujols problem heading into the 2018 season"

70runner

7 hours ago, yk9001 said:

Since becoming an Angel, he's led the league in a batting category exactly twice.

GIDP in 2014 and 2017

But those ribbies, though

Why would you expect a 37 year old to lead the league in yearly offensive categories?  Might I suggest the problem is with the expectation, not the performance.  Oh yeah, because he makes a lot of money, he should.  That is not how the program works, players like this are never paid for what they are doing now, but for what they once did.  It's up to a GM to weigh paying for reputation and what a player like this can bring to marketing the team and to the community vs. pure performance toward an objective, like a championship team.  I'm not on Pujols' case at all, I'm on the two dumb GM's who were here before Eppler.  They didn't have the balls or the smarts to sell Arte otherwise, and Arte didn't have the smarts to realize they didn't.

One other thing, at least give Pujols some credit for the effort.  I think he's honestly tried to soldier on despite significant injuries, yes some for personal gain, but also because he realizes the glory is in chasing another championship and because he thinks he can help with his experience in a variety of ways.  Hamilton doesn't even come close to that kind of performance.  He was a total bust for us.  

28 minutes ago, tomsred said:

Why would you expect a 37 year old to lead the league in yearly offensive categories?  Might I suggest the problem is with the expectation, not the performance.  Oh yeah, because he makes a lot of money, he should.  That is not how the program works, players like this are never paid for what they are doing now, but for what they once did.  It's up to a GM to weigh paying for reputation and what a player like this can bring to marketing the team and to the community vs. pure performance toward an objective, like a championship team.  I'm not on Pujols' case at all, I'm on the two dumb GM's who were here before Eppler.  They didn't have the balls or the smarts to sell Arte otherwise, and Arte didn't have the smarts to realize they didn't.

One other thing, at least give Pujols some credit for the effort.  I think he's honestly tried to soldier on despite significant injuries, yes some for personal gain, but also because he realizes the glory is in chasing another championship and because he thinks he can help with his experience in a variety of ways.  Hamilton doesn't even come close to that kind of performance.  He was a total bust for us.  

That's not true at all. The problem is absolutely the guys performance. No one is expecting St. Louis Pujols at this point, people just want a respectable hitter out of him and for 24 million a year that is not asking for too much. We can talk about why he sucks all day. The injuries are not a made up thing, the guys body is literally falling apart. He's probably 20 pounds overweight. He may or may not be even able to physically train in the offseason, who knows? 

But the performance is still the main problem, doesn't matter why he isn't performing.

Agreed that the main guy to blame for the whole debacle is Arte, though

3 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

That's not true at all. The problem is absolutely the guys performance. No one is expecting St. Louis Pujols at this point, people just want a respectable hitter out of him and for 24 million a year that is not asking for too much. We can talk about why he sucks all day. The injuries are not a made up thing, the guys body is literally falling apart. He's probably 20 pounds overweight. He may or may not be even able to physically train in the offseason, who knows? 

But the performance is still the main problem, doesn't matter why he isn't performing.

And you sir are letting Arte and Dipoto off way too easy.  They should have recognized the probability of the potential problem that came to be.

4 minutes ago, tomsred said:

And you sir are letting Arte and Dipoto off way too easy.  They should have recognized the probability of the potential problem that came to be.

Of course. But that doesn't mean we have to be OK with Pujols being the worst player in the league for the next 4 years, making comments like "I'll take 100 RBIs anyway of the week". He should show some humility and admit he had a poor season and needs to clear his head and train in the offseason. That would make less Angels fans dislike him

7 hours ago, tomsred said:

He was "32" when he signed here.

8 hours ago, HaloNArizona said:

Here is my hope, he gets 3000 hits (32 more hits) and calls it quits.

Worse case scenario, MS goes the way of Dave Roberts and sits AP.

2000 RBI's is also within reach if he stays relatively healthy next year and bats behind Trout and possibly Upton.