• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LA Times: What a coincidence: With pitching moves, Angels save on bonuses

Dollar Bill

Probably smart of Eppler to avoid those bonus payments under the circumstances.

Neither Bud nor Chavez will probably be asked to return in 2018. Both contracts are expiring, as is Street's (team $10M 2018 option; $1M buyout).

Ramirez also goes into an offseason with an expiring contract -- and an arm injury. Maybe Eppler might still see some benefit in keeping him at age 29. 

Going to be a lot of changes in the pitching staff. Potential spots for people moving up or moving on.

Pitchers to keep:  GRich, Heaney, Bridwell, Skaggs, JC Ramirez, Tropeano (starting 2018 at AAA?), Shoe (converting to relief?), Meyer (converting to relief?), Parker, Petit, Bedrosian, Middleton, Noe Ramirez, and Paredes (starting 2018 at AAA?) 

Maybes: Alvarez and Wood

Buh Byes: Everyone else who doesn't have any options left

Need a RELIABLE lefty in the pen, and Alvarez is BORDERLINE (more not horrible). 

after last night's arson show (not exactly a fireman), Bud Norris may not get the few more relief appearances he needs for the bonus.

another one on the 'bonus' bubble is Nolasco -- may already be too late for him now with where his start stats are  -- but if he made a certain number of starts with a specified number of IP over a two year period (something like that) he got an additional bonus and perhaps a club option turned into a player 'his' option. Not sure.

His start/ IP projections were running short of the magic numbers about a month ago and I assume he's fallen so off the pace now, he can't catch up.

Hey, if I were the Halos F/A and could save some bonus money on players who are probably F/A and gone from the Halos at the end of the year -- I'd pitch the AA and AAA call up guys instead of the bonus guys.

43 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

But not sucking is the point of the bonus. Technical term is "incentive bonus"

And the technical bonus is relief appearances for Norris and games started for Chavez. Sure if they didn't suck in their roles they would've gotten it originally, but I think the point of the article (at least the deadspin one) was that they easily could've started Chavez and brought in Norris later. 

In the end, it doesn't matter, it saves the angels $750,000, and it has no impact on my life on way or another

Just now, m0nkey said:

And the technical bonus is relief appearances for Norris and games started for Chavez. Sure if they didn't suck in their roles they would've gotten it originally, but I think the point of the article (at least the deadspin one) was that they easily could've started Chavez and brought in Norris later. 

In the end, it doesn't matter, it saves the angels $750,000, and it has no impact on my life on way or another

And my point is that if they were performing they would have given them the bonuses. When you sign an incentive based contract you take your chances