• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Outdoors Thread

gotbeer

• 2 weeks later...

I was up at my usual camp ground on the East Fork of the San Gabriel River this weekend.  They limited parking, so it wasn't a zoo all weekend.  Biggest crowds were the bungie people.  

Then was listening to the news, and a fire was starting a few canyons over.  We really didn't think much of it, so I hiked out like usual Sunday night.  Getting to the parking lot, it's really empty, and a sheriff is on the loudspeaker saying mandatory evacuations, fast moving forrest fire.   I'm sure they are going to send a bird up the canyon telling people to get out this morning.  

The plume of smoke is what we could see from our camp.  We weren't sure what it was.

The fire is from Oaks campground, 1 mile from the trailhead.  It's not dangerously close yet, but if it jumps the main road, it's a clear shot from the west fork to the east fork.

They were landing helicopters on the dam.  

20200906_174500.jpg

20200906_185122.jpg

20200906_185128.jpg

20200906_185133.jpg

20200906_190528.jpg

20200906_190534.jpg

33 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Pretty much all of highway 39 is burning. It's been a red sky for the last 24 hours or so. I see Mt. Wilson Observatory was evacuated as well.

Yeah.  I hear from some friends at Camp Williams near where I hike/camp at that it's not a mandatory evacuation there yet.  Looking at the weather forcasts, winds coming out of the NE.  So that means this could go towards populated areas in the SW in a jiff.  That Wilson and the 2 areas have been evacuated tells me where they think this thing is headed.  

Ugg.  I've been told the fire has jumped the 39.  So that means Camp Williams is under evacuation, and where I go camp may be affected by fire soon.  The river is pretty much a wind tunnel, so if it gets down in there, it could spread from the trailhead to the bridge (a bit under 5 miles) really quickly.  Which would then put the fire a stones throw away from Baldy village.

For those familiar with Chantry Flats, Santa Anita Canyon.  This is from the people at Adam's Pack Station.

Adams' Pack Station

tStpoi7nshoredl  · 

I am just re-posting what I posted on our cabin owners page.. I really am unable to say much else at the moment.
"Good early morning friends. So much happened yesterday and I know emotions have been both hopeful and grim. At the moment, noone knows for curtain what the canyon will look like once the fire subsides. The reports I received from firefighters who braved working in this area, were, that it appeared that much, if not all of the main canyon burned (First Water Trail towards Sturtevant Trail). How far north the fire went is unknown and in which direction the fire ran up is unknown. Until we go in there, we won't know if any cabins made it through the burn. For curtain, the fire was seen going up the San Olin Canyon and rolling up towards upper winter creek.  Noone could say exactly where it traveled from there, however I spoke with the superintendent of Mt. Wilson Observatory early yesterday evening and he was able to see the south side of Mt. Zion burning from there at the time.  I'm sure with all the online apps and links to maps, you may or have already gotten some answers as to what has been over run by fire. I know there isn't much information here you probably can't already look up. However, it's very difficult for me to say that it appears that as of yesterday evening, the pack station and the forest sevice structures were saved. This was due to efforts made by key individuals who I will forever be indebted to and will always hold firm in my heart for doing what they did. I know they would say it was their job,  but I know that they went above and beyond in the face of fire and uncertain safety to do what they did, because they cared about this place, the history and these mountains. I feel a level of gratitude that I have never felt before and yet my heart breaks for every single one of you in the canyon. For the loss and/or for the agonizing unknown. I won't speak of what I don't know, so I continue to pray and hope for the best outcome for everyone. It truly feels unreal that I am posting these very words about our precious canyon. This historic gem of a canyon will live one way or another.  I know that as the days pass and the smoke settles, we will come together to figure out how. I send each and every one of you all my love."

Looks like it's just feet from the telescopes at Mt. Wilson Observatory now. I don't know how accurate this map is but it paints a pretty bleak picture for my favorite hiking spot.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1iwzsEo1lQN2zMRpxzzrDb6jmyt_mzaGC&ll=34.21322183495924%2C-118.03166305706267&z=13

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Looks like it's just feet from the telescopes at Mt. Wilson Observatory now. I don't know how accurate this map is but it paints a pretty bleak picture for my favorite hiking spot.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1iwzsEo1lQN2zMRpxzzrDb6jmyt_mzaGC&ll=34.21322183495924%2C-118.03166305706267&z=13

From what I heard, it got 500 feet from them.  But it got no closer.  So all the structures were saved.  I'm sure that when it was threatened, it was a broken arrow situation, and all resources were put on it.  They aren't going to let things like this, Reagan Library, or Getty Center type areas go up in flames.

But yeah, I can see the trails closed for a while.  Like years before it's deemed safe to go on again.

Edited by gotbeer

The camp I mentioned earlier has had to be evacuated. The fire is just about there. Fire crews have been using the camp for its cabins, bathrooms, and showers. They’re committed to saving it if possible.

For several years the camp has had a real live bear in an enclosure. He’s the camp mascot and everyone has loved having him there. Every decade or so the bear has to be replaced. The current bear (Chester) was evacuated yesterday to a wildlife refuge in Hesperia. Word came this morning that the noise and confusion of all the helicopters that were at camp, and being relocated caused too much stress for him, and he died during the night.

10 minutes ago, Tank said:

The camp I mentioned earlier has had to be evacuated. The fire is just about there. Fire crews have been using the camp for its cabins, bathrooms, and showers. They’re committed to saving it if possible.

For several years the camp has had a real live bear in an enclosure. He’s the camp mascot and everyone has loved having him there. Every decade or so the bear has to be replaced. The current bear (Chester) was evacuated yesterday to a wildlife refuge in Hesperia. Word came this morning that the noise and confusion of all the helicopters that were at camp, and being relocated caused too much stress for him, and he died during the night.

The loss of him is unbearable. 

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Tank said:

Seems like an unusual place for cattle.

There are some ranches in the area that they may have escaped from.

I saw some at Union pass also with the burros at a watering hole. About 10+ miles from here.

Where there is water in the desert there are animals.