• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Outdoors Thread

gotbeer

43 minutes ago, True Grich said:

@gotbeer any chance you found some top notch starting pitching up in them hills? Asking for Billy.

Well, I did see Ryu chasing a deer.  But i think he wanted to eat it.  And Keuchel was splitting logs right handed.  Really couldn't hear much, because Boras was there with 6 helicopters running on standby.

• 1 month later...

Back to Mt. Wilson.  The first leg in my 6 peak of Southern California challenge.  New toy to the arsenal.  Splurged and got a Go Pro Hero 8 Black.  So this is about 95% of the entire hike.  I left the lens cap on for about 10 minutes of the hike.  

• 2 weeks later...

Latest video.  This is where I spend most of my time.  To the Bridge, it's about 4 1/2 miles.  Not too difficult, about a 1000 feet elevation gain.  Past the Bridge, to Iron Fork is a bit over 2 miles.  There is a bit more scrambling back there, but it's so different than the Bridge stretch.  

This is pretty much a walkthrough 

Technically, my third peak in the six pack of peak challenge down.  But this one was an alternate peak, so peak #1A.  This is a repeat peak, I've done it both the Red Box route and the Mountaineering route.  This route is the easier route, and could be done really by anyone.  Here is the full video of the hike.  

• 1 month later...

Took the family camping this past weekend to get everyone out of the house. Well, "camping" is in our trailer and at an RV park. Check in online, didn't have to come in contact with anyone, and no one was within 100' of our camp. We stayed next door to a closed State Park campground, and it was killer to ride our bikes around the camp with absolutely no one there. No one on the trails or beach either. Got lucky with perfect weather too. 

Yeah pretty much. We keep all our camping "stuff" in the trailer and can leave rather quickly without a whole lot of preparation. Gets the kids out of the house and out in nature, well, as much nature as one can get at/around an RV park. But we'll usually hike or bike a good distance if we're in a cool area. And the fridge stocked with cold beer and cocktails is nice to have. 

Nothing beats hiking into a camp with your pack filled with food and essentials, though. I haven't done that in a while. 

3 hours ago, Angel Dog and Beer said:

Yeah pretty much. We keep all our camping "stuff" in the trailer and can leave rather quickly without a whole lot of preparation. Gets the kids out of the house and out in nature, well, as much nature as one can get at/around an RV park. But we'll usually hike or bike a good distance if we're in a cool area. And the fridge stocked with cold beer and cocktails is nice to have. 

Nothing beats hiking into a camp with your pack filled with food and essentials, though. I haven't done that in a while. 

It's a fact that the further you hike with your food and drink, the better it tastes.  Because I've had stuff in the forest that I thought was the greatest, and tried it at home and was like wtf were you thinking.  

10 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Haven't they closed, like, all of the trails?

City, State and County.  

Federal is still open.  Although there are some Federal parks like Yosemite that are closed.

Edited by gotbeer

I have never done Mt Wilson to the top.  I have done Camp Orchard, which is the first 4 miles or so 8-10 times.  Even when I am in shape hiking is really a struggle for me.  I don’t know if it is the altitude mixed with the  cardio or simply I haven’t done enough hiking to get used to the struggle.  I never really enjoy doing these hikes, but know they are good for me and I feel very accomplished when I am finished.   Today we did a very simple little hike here in Norco called Pumpkin Rock.  Then walked around up along the trails up in the “Norco” hills.  Yesterday we went on a 7 mile walk through the riverbed close to my house.  I’ll add some pictures soon.

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

I have never done Mt Wilson to the top.  I have done Camp Orchard, which is the first 4 miles or so 8-10 times.  Even when I am in shape hiking is really a struggle for me.  I don’t know if it is the altitude mixed with the  cardio or simply I haven’t done enough hiking to get used to the struggle.  I never really enjoy doing these hikes, but know they are good for me and I feel very accomplished when I am finished.   Today we did a very simple little hike here in Norco called Pumpkin Rock.  Then walked around up along the trails up in the “Norco” hills.  Yesterday we went on a 7 mile walk through the riverbed close to my house.  I’ll add some pictures soon.

Just takes a bunch of practice and repetition.  Wilson is more elevation gain than altitude.  Cardio wise you just have to take your time and go at your own pace.  Preparation helps too.  A good night sleep, eating a good breakfast before the hike.  Drinking lots of water, and I tend to take breaks every 45-1 hour and have a fruit bar or something like that.  

I struggled doing Wilson the first time.  The loop is 14 miles.  But after doing it a few times, got more and more used to it.  Thought I was getting good at the hiking stuff, then did Baldy.  And it kicked my ass.  In comparison, Wilson is about 5k feet.  Baldy is 10k.  

But if you are interested in hiking, just stick with it.  It's great exercise.  I only hike once a week, and probably am in the best shape in my entire life.  I tend to either do short 6 mile hikes with added weight.  Or peaks 10+ miles with light packs.  

9 minutes ago, calscuf said:

So I bit the bullet and drive up to Big Bear today so I could grab some things of value in the cabin, chain lock the fence and put new batteries my security camera.  

What I learned in my drive up is that hikers are fucking selfish douchbags.  I took Highway 38 through Redlands and Angelus Oaks and almost every pulloff from Mentone to Angelus Oaks was packed with cars. I’ve never seen it like that.  And plenty of people on Hwy. 38 the whole way up.

The good news is neither the people at the store, nor my white trash neighbors have given me shit for being here.

But fuck you hikers.  Just stay the fuck home. 

So that's where they went.  Baldy and Wilson are closed, so they went to Big Bear.  Guess they will be next on the closure list.

6 hours ago, Blarg said:

please-wash-your-hands-for-20-seconds-or

Fuck camping in a tent. 

Went to our camp yesterday, and the guys are saying we got hit by a bear.  Oddly there were people in our camp at the time.  And the shit it left.  Man, it must have been a 3-400 pounder.  How the guys in camp slept through it, I have no idea.  Opened a can of beans like it was nothing.  

IMG_8890.jpg