• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Outdoors Thread

gotbeer

5 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I run up Glendale Mountain Road in my Spitfire now and then but never on the weekends. Between the rice boy racing, Katana clubs and mountain bike squads it makes the road a dangerous place. 

I saw a guy in a brand new mustang pretty much being at one with the side of a mountain on GMR.  This is at 5 in the morning.  He said there were these two cars drifting down the mountain, and he had to swerve to avoid hitting him, causing him to cross the road into the mountain.  Wasn't buying it a bit.  The way he was in the mountain, he hit the turn too fast and slid right into the mountain.

BTW, in that picture above.  That is the hairpin curve where GMR becomes East Fork Road.  The road the picture was taken on is Camp Bonita Road or something like that, that leads to the Trailhead to Bridge to Nowhere.  

I know the section well. That completes a loop back to Azuza or if you stay on Glendora Ridge Road it takes you to Mt Baldy. I also like simply driving up 39 to the Crystal Lake parking lot to grab a drink. The last time I made that run they closed the road to the 2 that makes it's way to Wrightwood. In a Spitfire that's a long run and a lot of work. Not as much as the hikes you make but tiring all the same. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

I know the section well. That completes a loop back to Azuza or if you stay on Glendora Ridge Road it takes you to Mt Baldy. I also like simply driving up 39 to the Crystal Lake parking lot to grab a drink. The last time I made that run they closed the road to the 2 that makes it's way to Wrightwood. In a Spitfire that's a long run and a lot of work. Not as much as the hikes you make but tiring all the same. 

It's even harder when you have those morons going 25 mph and scared of curves in the road that won't pull over to let faster cars pass.

@gotbeer

Missing hiker found dead in California

Missing hiker found dead in California

Avakian was last seen when she set out on March 7 from her home in Glendale for a one-day hiking expedition, police said.

But when she didn’t return the following day, her family reported her missing to authorities.

Avakian didn’t tell her family where she was headed, but she was an avid hiker, authorities said.

"Per the family, it is common for Narineh to go hiking with groups and on solo trips – though lately she has been going solo," police said.

On Thursday afternoon, her car was found parked at the Buckhorn Day Use Area along Angeles Crest Highway, authorities said.

"It should be noted that this area was heavily impacted by the recent snowstorm," police said Friday.

No foul play is suspected in her death, but the investigation is ongoing, authorities said.

The coroner’s office is now working to determine a cause of death, news station KCBS-TV reported.

'Dark Watchers' have been spooking California hikers for centuries. What are they?

I have never encountered dark watchers.  But there is one particular small section of the East Fork trail where a few times, early in the morning when no one is on the trail, I've heard children playing.  There is a cliff of about 20 feet below me to the river, and a steep slope above me.  It's about 1 1/4 miles from the parking lot.  And the voices aren't coming from the river below me, but from above.  So I know there is absolutely nobody there.  I yelled out a 'hello', and a little girl giggled, laughed, and sounded like she ran away.  it was quite freaky.

Pictures of my latest hike.  Mt. Wilson.  Since Chantry Flats is closed, had to go a different trail.  So went out of Sierra Madre and took the Old Mt. Wilson Trail up.  Brutal.  Nothing like the Chantry Flats trails.  This thing was a steady uphill climb all the way up.  Might have to make it my new training hill, since it is closer, but just has hard as Cucamonga/Ontario/Baldy.

20210321_065803.jpg

20210321_065809.jpg

20210321_065832.jpg

20210321_070115.jpg

20210321_072513.jpg

20210321_081145.jpg

20210321_081152.jpg

20210321_081644.jpg

20210321_081656.jpg

20210321_083901.jpg

20210321_093353.jpg

20210321_095705.jpg

20210321_101415.jpg

20210321_103031.jpg

20210321_103114.jpg

20210321_105410.jpg

20210321_105828.jpg

20210321_105831.jpg

20210321_105834.jpg

20210321_113502.jpg

20210321_114342.jpg

20210321_123147.jpg

20210321_132548.jpg

20210321_134624.jpg

20210321_134840.jpg

20210321_134844.jpg

On 3/22/2021 at 7:18 PM, gotbeer said:

Pictures of my latest hike.  Mt. Wilson.  Since Chantry Flats is closed, had to go a different trail.  So went out of Sierra Madre and took the Old Mt. Wilson Trail up.  Brutal.  Nothing like the Chantry Flats trails.  This thing was a steady uphill climb all the way up.  Might have to make it my new training hill, since it is closer, but just has hard as Cucamonga/Ontario/Baldy.

The Old Mount Wilson Trail is no joke... that was the last legit hike I did a few months back.

The easiest route up Mt. Wilson is through Eaton Canyon, I think.

37 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

The Old Mount Wilson Trail is no joke... that was the last legit hike I did a few months back.

The easiest route up Mt. Wilson is through Eaton Canyon, I think.

I was wondering if you did that trail.  I know you said you go up Wilson quite a bit.  Glad to hear that it wasn't just me that thought it was a hard hike.

2 hours ago, cals said:

@gotbeer, what kind of snake was that?

I thought it was a snake at first also.  It took a few looks before I saw the legs.  There were three of them, but that's the only one that stayed out in the open.  And the only reason why I saw them was because they were chasing each other.  

• 3 weeks later...

Southern California's 6 pack of peaks, from Mt. Baldy.

In this photo, The right peak is Iron Mountain (not one of the 6 packs).  Off in the distance to the left, it's hard to see but that is Mt. Wilson.

20210411_110318.jpg

The highest peak in the middle is Cucamonga Peak.  To the right of there, the highest peak in that flat section in the middle is Ontario Peak.

20210411_110331.jpg

This one is kind of hard to see.  But in the distance.  Right center, way off in the distance is Jacinto Peak.  If you follow that left to the big peak, that is the highest peak in Southern California Mt. Gorgonio.  If you keep following the skyline to the left, the next highest peak there is San Bernardino Peak.

20210411_110335.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hiked in Laughlin along the river again. This time went up to the top of Davis dam. Got a picture of Lake Mohave looking north. South looking down from the dam is Davis camp on the left and Bullhead City in the background. About 5 miles.

20210501_070832.jpg

20210501_070747.jpg

Edited by Redondo