• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Valbuena is the worst..

Chuck

49 minutes ago, zenmaster said:

Well, he did have that one good game, this whole year. Release this fool.

I don't have a problem with him being a bench guy.....and if Escobar is out awhile, he's probably going to be the 3bman....I didn't get the platoon with Cron when he was signed and it makes less sense now....

On 8/6/2017 at 5:05 PM, JustATroutFan said:

Pujols will retire at some point next season as soon as his career batting average is in danger of falling below .300. Then, it will be Valbuena who hits one spot behind Trout for the rest of the season. I am thinking in July that that will happen.

"My biggest regret was letting my lifetime average drop below .300. I always felt I was a .300 hitter, and if I could change one thing that would be it"; Mickey Mantle

I was kinda hyped when the Angels signed him from this article http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/luis-valbuena-a-potential-asset-in-2017/.  He had a good year in limited time with Houston last season.  Looking at his stats, I don't see what's wrong him, his K rate is still the same, his walk rate is a bit lower.  His batted ball rates were pretty much the same from last season, then I saw his BABIP and it's .203, which is incredibly low.    I wouldn't be shocked if he hit .300 next season to make up for the disappointing season this year.

1 hour ago, aznhockeyguy said:

I wouldn't be shocked if he hit .300 next season to make up for the disappointing season this year.

I would since he has never come close to .300 BA in 10 years. Last year he hit .260 in a bandbox, but more often than not he has been a .220 hitter. You just don't figure it out at 32 years old.

1 hour ago, aznhockeyguy said:

I was kinda hyped when the Angels signed him from this article http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/luis-valbuena-a-potential-asset-in-2017/.  He had a good year in limited time with Houston last season.  Looking at his stats, I don't see what's wrong him, his K rate is still the same, his walk rate is a bit lower.  His batted ball rates were pretty much the same from last season, then I saw his BABIP and it's .203, which is incredibly low.    I wouldn't be shocked if he hit .300 next season to make up for the disappointing season this year.

I don't know about him hitting .300 that seems like a real stretch. However it does appear that he is swinging for the fences more as his HR/FB rate is 3% higher than his career average and his IFFB% is also 3% higher. It wouldn't be a complete surprise if the Angels actually asked Valbuena to swing for the fences more particularly since they have him playing out of a traditional position of power (1B) and that they may have wanted him to replace Cron (which didn't happen.... yet) in the lineup.

His LD% is way down which means he's either putting it in the air more (which makes sense with the HR/FB and IFFB% increases) or on the ground. Notably putting the ball in the air more will reduce your BABIP overall (but not as much as his has gone down which is like 60 points).

This may be a case where the Angels coaching staff asked him to produce more slugging and it has potentially backfired. I'm not necessarily sure this is all Luis' fault. If they asked him to tweak his mechanics even slightly that could lead to an off-year.

Someone needs to change his swing back, if it changed.   It's not all about the HRs.    He needs to be hitting at least .240, to put up about a .330 OBP.   That could still produce about a .750 OPS, based on past seasons this decade. 

He still has the 11 HRs and 35 rbis in 225 at bats, but the OBP is putrid and he only has 7 doubles and no triples!    Soooo Ghost Pujols like!

Did Ghost Pujols become his hitting coach?

55 minutes ago, ettin said:

I don't know about him hitting .300 that seems like a real stretch. However it does appear that he is swinging for the fences more as his HR/FB rate is 3% higher than his career average and his IFFB% is also 3% higher. It wouldn't be a complete surprise if the Angels actually asked Valbuena to swing for the fences more particularly since they have him playing out of a traditional position of power (1B) and that they may have wanted him to replace Cron (which didn't happen.... yet) in the lineup.

His LD% is way down which means he's either putting it in the air more (which makes sense with the HR/FB and IFFB% increases) or on the ground. Notably putting the ball in the air more will reduce your BABIP overall (but not as much as his has gone down which is like 60 points).

This may be a case where the Angels coaching staff asked him to produce more slugging and it has potentially backfired. I'm not necessarily sure this is all Luis' fault. If they asked him to tweak his mechanics even slightly that could lead to an off-year.

All plausible reasons but I just think he's been very unlucky this season.

48 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Someone needs to change his swing back, if it changed.   It's not all about the HRs.    He needs to be hitting at least .240, to put up about a .330 OBP.   That could still produce about a .750 OPS, based on past seasons this decade. 

He still has the 11 HRs and 35 rbis in 225 at bats, but the OBP is putrid and he only has 7 doubles and no triples!    Soooo Ghost Pujols like!

Did Ghost Pujols become his hitting coach?

The swing plane change for hitters is a trend throughout baseball right now. Part of it is that MLB teams realize that the actual balls have changed and are now lofting farther resulting in about an increase of 5 ft. on average which is basically an increase of about 15% more HR's overall. For a hitter like Valbuena who has significant power it is in his best interest to go for more HR's. That is reflected in his HR/FB rate that is about 3% or so higher.

If this is the case (and I'm not an expert so I haven't sat down and asked Luis or watched video to see if his swing is different) I'm not sure I'm completely sold on having hitters change up any of their mechanics (unless those mechanics suck anyway) simply to get a potential increase in HR's. You look at someone like Simmons and it seems to be working but then you see someone like Valbuena where it isn't.