• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2017 Angels Trade Deadline Thread

DMVol

14 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Trading Hernandez doesn't make a whole lot of sense

Neither would keeping him.  He's a free agent-to-be, and we're not realistically in contention.  He has pitched a grand total of 36 1/3 IP for us in a season that's 2/3 over.  So you'd expect maybe 15-20 more IP out of him the rest of the year.  WHO THE F CARES?  He's quite literally meaningless to the outcome of this season for us.

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

So basically, we got a guy who may or may not pan out in the majors and probably won't pitch for us for the next several years.

And that's it.

Sounds like the typical Angels trade-deadline story.

Carry on with this wonderful season...

I'm trying to figure out why any Angels fan thought they would make any kind of real move. When you have a shitty major league roster along with a mediocre farm system that they are trying to rebuild how is it even possible to make any significant trades? They don't have the ability to be sellers or buyers at this point 

1 hour ago, John Smith said:
3ds_angels83.jpg
ANGELS ACQUIRE
Luis Madero, rhp

The Diamondbacks signed Madero for $160,000 out of Venezuela in 2013, intrigued by his lanky body and quick arm as a 16-year old. Madero has slowly built off that foundation. He now sits 91-93 mph with a slurvy breaking ball that flashes average and also has a changeup that is below-average. Scouts still note Madero’s quick arm and the projection remaining in his body, and mark him as an interesting prospect if not a major one.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/david-hernandez-back-to-d-backs/

high ceiling arm for a guy with picked up for nothing.  Take it.  

2 minutes ago, John Smith said:

#Angels GM Billy Eppler: "Didn't make sense from our vantage point to have an estate sale ... not trying to put everything on front lawn."

Estate sale? LOL.

What little we have might qualify for the bargain bin at the Goodwill.

15 minutes ago, tomsred said:

For those who don't feel Hernandez should haven traded for Madero - Then just sign him as a free agent in the off season, and keep Madero to boot.  We got payroll flexibility, right?

There is that.   I'm wondering if Hernandez told the team that he would love to pitch here next season.   It's not like he's in his late 30s.  Depends on what others offer him though.

deadline time huge success for Halos !! Congrats !!

why?

we took on no new bad long term contracts.

we didn't give up any young prospects.

we didn't help ourselves for the future but also didn't do anything to hurt us either (which is probably the bigger deal, Halos deal history being what it's been)

-- having said that -- last year's deadline deal sending Hector Santiago (who was just sent out on rehab assignment by Minnesota) was a pretty good deal for us -- Nolasco and Meyer for Santiago and a player I don't think has done much (don't even know who it was).........not a major deal but a positive one for us -- we got the most out of Santiago a starter/ reliever swing man when we got him who was our number 4/5 guy for about a season and a half -- he tanked almost as soon as he got to Minnesota and most of his stat lines for his starts this year that I saw box scores for - were bad...........Nolasco ate innings, made starts and gave up HRs (most in the AL?) and Meyer had some decent starts for us he past month or so..........

so the past two trade deadlines ('16 and '17) have been positive for Halos (perhaps it was because we really weren't going anywhere as of Aug. 1 each of those years).

LA Times' Bill Shaikin had a cogent observation at the end of his piece about how the Dodgers rebounded from the McCourt years and the contrast just down the 5.

"There might be no better way to prove the maxim that baseball is not a one-man sport than to have the best player in baseball on your team and have to talk up Luis Madero at the trade deadline."

35 minutes ago, Jason said:

I guess I'm glad he's being positive but we all know they don't have the talent to overcome the other teams they are chasing. 

We've hung around this long. Add in Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, and heck maybe even Shoemaker and suddenly your rotation is blistering hot. Toss in a revocable waiver wire pick up like Neil Walker (Cowart fans don't get angry please just talking hypothetical's here) and suddenly we have quite a bit of firepower which *MIGHT* net us a WC slot.

Don't get me wrong Jason it's a long shot but when you consider the inopportune injury to Maybin, a market never developing for Escobar, and the sudden tanking of Norris our trade chips essentially vanished and what are you left with? Move forward and compete with your returning pieces off the DL, which are actually quite significant, or try to force sales at pennies on the dollar.

I'm glad we didn't force anything trying to improve the team. I suspect we made a low-ball offer on Gordon and it got rejected along with three other teams offers. But the amount of talent that may be coming off the disabled list could actually be enough to put us back in a positive direction towards a WC. The field is still wide open.

the observation by Fletcher noted in the post above sums it up pretty well and highlights the missed opportunity Arte and the Angels had to win a greater market share of the Greater Los Angeles area during the years the Dodgers franchise was floundering under McCourt's ownership...........instead the Halos entered into that terrible contract with Josh Hamilton which ate up the Halos payroll capacity and made signing quality players impossible...........

Today the Dodgers (even if they're not on over the air TV for most fans -- it's the revenue from that deal that made today's player acquisitions possible -- although with Darvish being a rental it does not appear that the Dodgers gave up too much for any of the players they got today -- I mean Van Slyke a 4-A player who spent most of the year at AAA going the other way in one of the deals -- that's not much -- the Dogs managed to keep that one prospect the Rangers really were after) are primed to make a playoff run with a quality rotation and a deep bullpen that can shorten games to five or six innings if need be...............

I still think the Halos did the right thing pretty much sitting tight --- it's better than making a Hamilton, Gary Matthews Jr, Vernon Wells, even Kevin Appier type deal.........

39 minutes ago, ettin said:

We've hung around this long. Add in Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, and heck maybe even Shoemaker and suddenly your rotation is blistering hot. Toss in a revocable waiver wire pick up like Neil Walker (Cowart fans don't get angry please just talking hypothetical's here) and suddenly we have quite a bit of firepower which *MIGHT* net us a WC slot.

Don't get me wrong Jason it's a long shot but when you consider the inopportune injury to Maybin, a market never developing for Escobar, and the sudden tanking of Norris our trade chips essentially vanished and what are you left with? Move forward and compete with your returning pieces off the DL, which are actually quite significant, or try to force sales at pennies on the dollar.

I'm glad we didn't force anything trying to improve the team. I suspect we made a low-ball offer on Gordon and it got rejected along with three other teams offers. But the amount of talent that may be coming off the disabled list could actually be enough to put us back in a positive direction towards a WC. The field is still wide open.

There are just so many questions with those pitchers with as much time that they've missed and the offense isn't going to improve unless guys start playing over their heads. That's why I am skeptical. I hope that I am wrong and that those guys can return to form.

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

There are just so many questions with those pitchers with as much time that they've missed and the offense isn't going to improve unless guys start playing over their heads. That's why I am skeptical. I hope that I am wrong and that those guys can return to form.

Agreed. We will be very lucky if all come back healthy and effective.