• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2017 Angels Trade Deadline Thread

DMVol

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

You do realize that Guerra, Paredes, Gurka, Banuelos, Richards, Meyer, Shoemaker, Chavez, Bridwell, Ramirez, Street, Bailey, and Chavez all have pitched in the majors, right?

Adam Hofacket is literally the only name on there who hasn't pitched in the majors yet, and that's only because he just reached AAA a couple weeks ago.

This is getting very stupid debate.  I find no logic in trading Hernandez for a scrub.  I guess you find logic in it 

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

I will be surprised if Madero even makes it to AAA 4-5 years from now.

I wouldn't equate Jesus Castillo to Luis Madero - they're two different pitchers, but they're both similar in terms of prospect status. 

Jesus Castillo:
Before Angels career: 48 games, 148.2 IP, 4.04 ERA, 1.44 WHIP, 9.7 H/9, 0.3 HR/9, 3.4 BB/9, 7.9 K/9 (Frgn/Rk/A-)
Since joining Angels: 26 games, 130.2 IP, 2.81 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, 8.5 H/9, 0.7 HR/9, 1.7 BB/9, 8.5 K/9 (A/A+)
Luis Madero career: 49 games, 233 IP, 4.13 ERA, 1.28 WHIP, 8.5 H/9, 0.4 HR/9, 3.0 BB/9, 8.1 K/9 (Frgn/Rk/A-)

Looks to me like Eppler got another arm that isn't far off from what Castillo was/is doing and we're all pretty happy with how he's turned out so far.

20 minutes ago, stormngt said:

This is getting very stupid debate.  I find no logic in trading Hernandez for a scrub.  I guess you find logic in it 

Storm, all Eppler has done is shown he can evaluate pitching.  How do you think he got Hernandez in the first place?  I have no idea if the guy is any good, but Eppler has at least earned the benefit of the doubt.  

9 minutes ago, totdprods said:

....Looks to me like Eppler got another arm that isn't far off from what Castillo was/is doing and we're all pretty happy with how he's turned out so far.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Erik Monoah (acquired from NYM for Fernando Salas last deadline) has 2.83 ERA and .175 BAA over his last six starts in Low-A #Angels.....

All 3 of those guys have a chance to be what Salas, Smith and Hernandez have been--serviceable pen guys....not great maybe but serviceable....May not work out for any of them but they all have that ability....we'll see....

22 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Storm, all Eppler has done is shown he can evaluate pitching.  How do you think he got Hernandez in the first place?  I have no idea if the guy is any good, but Eppler has at least earned the benefit of the doubt.  

Yep.

I have no idea who this guy is we brought over, but eppler up to this point has been pretty good at suprising us with solid pitching pickups. Ill wait and see before i judge.

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

All 3 of those guys have a chance to be what Salas, Smith and Hernandez have been--serviceable pen guys....not great maybe but serviceable....May not work out for any of them but they all have that ability....we'll see....

And conversely, say we find ourselves in a playoff race next year and need a cheap vet RP (because as of right now, our '18 pen looks very green) and the rate stays the same, we've got some Low-A fringe arm depth to deal from (Madero, Castillo, Gatto, several Rodriguezes, Bertness, Vinson) should we need it.

3 hours ago, stormngt said:

My question to you storm is this: Have you gone out and personally scouted Madero? The Angels most certainly did and Eppler indicated in his statement that they had been watching him for a while and liked his upside. You call him a scrub but quite frankly you and I both have almost certainly not scouted him and know what he projects to be or not be.

I believe in Eppler and his scouting staff, they have picked out of the barrel well so far (Parker, Yates, Bridwell, Ramirez, Norris, Hernandez, et al). I know it wasn't a sexy move, I agree, but you have to give it time and see how it develops.

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

I think you missed my point in the origin thread.  I don't mind the trade at all.  I just argued the trade didn't make sense if we were really trying for the wild card.  If the playoffs this year is still our primary goal the trade didn't make sense.  That's all.  My original post really wasn't that controversial to have as much debate as it has had.

10 minutes ago, ettin said:

My question to you storm is this: Have you gone out and personally scouted Madero? The Angels most certainly did and Eppler indicated in his statement that they had been watching him for a while and liked his upside. You call him a scrub but quite frankly you and I both have almost certainly not scouted him and know what he projects to be or not be.

I believe in Eppler and his scouting staff, they have picked out of the barrel well so far (Parker, Yates, Bridwell, Ramirez, Norris, Hernandez, et al). I know it wasn't a sexy move, I agree, but you have to give it time and see how it develops.

Like I said this is a stupid debate.  My original comment had nothing to do with Madera.  

21 hours ago, stormngt said:

I don't buy that narrative.  If we still ate competing we keep Hernandez instead a low minor league prospect.   I don't think they got any significant offers for Norris or Petit and felt it was best to keep them

This was your original comment. I think you have to realize that the Angels know for a fact that at least one of their SP's is returning soon (Skaggs and Heaney both as a matter of fact) and that they will have to move someone from the rotation into the bullpen. In order to facilitate that Eppler took the best deal he could find on Hernandez and moved him to free up the space, in this case Madero.

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

I get that he has been good at that.  Looking at the kid's stats though, it's taken him 3.5 years just to get from DSL to very barely low-A caliber.   In other words, rookie league caliber 

I was just going to mention this.

What's his story? Anyone? 

• 9 months later...

Lot of Luis Madero naysayers in this thread....

Fairly small sample size, but he's been performing well in Burlington as a 21 year old, where he's about a year younger than the competition...

Through 7 starts, he's sporting a 2.40 ERA and a WHIP of 1.00 in 30 innings pitched, having allowed 24 hits, 1 home run, 6 walks, and 22 strikeouts. 

Be interesting to see if Eppler can repeat his Joe Smith for Jesus Castillo trade on this one.