• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2017 MLB Trade Deadline Thread

I'm not entirely surprised the return is light. 
I read one article yesterday, either by a national writer or Texas writer, who said that Texas was unlikely to trade Darvish because they did not think they would get a top prospect for him. Yes - the Rangers don't think they'll get a top prospect for Yu Darvish, one of the closest 'ace' types out there, because he's a rental.

Martinez is also a rental.

Recent trades this offseason and current season are showing that control is becoming extremely valuable, and those types of players are now generating the elite prospect returns. This really puts a dent on the value of our guys like Maybin, Norris, Escobar. Clubs simply aren't interested in surrendering prospects anymore unless it's for control.

22 minutes ago, floplag said:

If this is true, it sets an intriguing precedent we should jump on before the costs go up.  

He is a rental.  The only way I am giving up 3 prospects from our organization, 2 being in our top 30, would be for a guy that will be here in the following season or two.  

40 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

None of them any good too. 

Yeah I thought the Tigers would do much better than that. I mean Fletcher, Rivas and Garcia may have topped that offer. I don't think we should've done that, just thinking the Tigers must not have had much interest.

43 minutes ago, Stradling said:

He is a rental.  The only way I am giving up 3 prospects from our organization, 2 being in our top 30, would be for a guy that will be here in the following season or two.  

... and that is why we never make these kind of deals and wont compete for the WC by the time its over.  
Lets be real, our farm is crap, 3 of almost any of them for a ML quality player is an upgrade.  
but no matter... i suspect the FO agrees with you and nothing will happen.  

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

... and that is why we never make these kind of deals and wont compete for the WC by the time its over.  
Lets be real, our farm is crap, 3 of almost any of them for a ML quality player is an upgrade.  

But was it wise to trade Segura for a rental of Grienke?   Wasn't Segura ranked around #4 in the org at the time of that trade?

8 minutes ago, floplag said:

Our farm in general isn't great but the most recent drafts will develop some quality major leaguers. I certainly wouldn't trade a single top five guy in a package for JD Martinez when we are below .500 and he's got 2+ months of control.  Doing something like that in our situation would be idiotic. 

1 hour ago, CanadianHalo said:

Okay I have looked at all three of these prospects FanGraphs pages and some scouting reports and it is essentially three punchless middle infielders that play potentially above average defense at up-the-middle positions. Lugo might be a regular, Alcantara looks more like a utility guy and King might have some potential on-base ability. But it sure does seem like the Tigers, on paper, didn't come out too well here. I would have thought J.D. Martinez would have brought back a nice quality prospect.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

All these deals happening may not give Eppler time to determine if they are to buy or sell. I had read they were weighing the next week's results heavily but by that point there may be even less out there to work with.

We are not really competing at the top end of the trade market. The pieces falling now are still bigger names so I think we are fine tot's.

6 minutes ago, ettin said:

We are not really competing at the top end of the trade market. The pieces falling now are still bigger names so I think we are fine tot's.

The Yankees were definite suitors for guys Norris, Hernandez, Petit. So we're the Nationals. Hard to see them being interested in paying much for our relievers right now. 

The big names that were one tier down that were maybe in our range? Belt, Gordon, Hernandez, etc? With big names, especially the big name cheaper rentals, off the board their price tag is soaring.

It is affecting us whether we were going to be hard sellers, sellers, buyers, cautious buyers...

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

The Yankees were definite suitors for guys Norris, Hernandez, Petit. So we're the Nationals. Hard to see them being interested in paying much for our relievers right now. 

The big names that were one tier down that were maybe in our range? Belt, Gordon, Hernandez, etc? With big names, especially the big name cheaper rentals, off the board their price tag is soaring.

I'm not so sure about that. The big names are big names for a reason: they tend to perform better than the next tier down. 1B, 2B, and 3B in particular seem to be softer markets right now too. Not many teams are looking to upgrade at those spots. Also the Nationals are still supposedly shopping for a 3rd bullpen arm (they are that bad) so a Maybin/RP may still be in the cards with them.

Also you have to consider the prices of the relievers involved. All of our rental BP guys are pretty damn cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if a smaller market team is showing a lot of interest while the higher priced guys go to the big market teams that can afford them.

I really think we should revisit this discussion a couple of days before July 31st to see where we are at I don't think it is as concerning as you may believe it is right now.

Edited by ettin

2 minutes ago, ettin said:

I'm not so sure about that. The big names are big names for a reason: they tend to perform better than the next tier down. 1B, 2B, and 3B in particular seem to be softer markets right now too. Not many teams are looking to upgrade at those spots. Also the Nationals are still supposedly shopping for a 3rd bullpen arm (they are that bad) so a Maybin/RP may still be in the cards with them.

Also you have to consider the prices of the relievers involved. All of our rental BP guys are pretty damn cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if a smaller market team is showing a lot of interest while the higher priced guys go to the big market teams that can afford them.

I really think we should revisit this discussion a couple of days before July 31st to see where we are at I don't think it is as concerning as you may believe it is right now.

That's kind of my point though - I don't think Eppler is ready to buy or sell right now, but with big names coming off the board they may be getting a lot more hits on their players right now when they're not sure if they should sell, or be feeling more pressure to strike before costs go up as teams start focusing more on the more under-the-radar types Eppler is likelier to target. 

A week from now those teams calling may have moved on. 

All I'm saying is things are moving quick and the Angels obviously wanted another week or so to decide.