• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trade Proposal: Trumbo To SD for Denorfia and Cashner

I can't wait to hear from all you Trumboner strokers in August when he's in the middle of a 3-45 slump with 1 walk and 27 Ks.

Hopefully you'll still be around so you can remind us of how smart you were, being all pessimistic while the rest of us were just enjoying the ride.  

I can't wait to hear from all you Trumboner strokers in August when he's in the middle of a 3-45 slump with 1 walk and 27 Ks.

Trade Trumbo for some single A wanna be prospects can't wait for that to happen. You should be GM. Let's sign some more 32 year old declining vets.

No.

Cashner isn't even projected to be a starting pitcher long term. He's only starting now because the Padres don't have a choice. Once Erlin is slotted into the rotation permanently, and Kelly and Wieland are fully recovered from their surgeries, Cashner will be in the bullpen.

And Denorfia is 32. Thirty-two.

Why would this trade make ANY sense for the Angels?

Trade Trumbo for some single A wanna be prospects can't wait for that to happen. You should be GM. Let's sign some more 32 year old declining vets.

Like I said first, I wouldn't do the OP's proposed trade. But I do think if you're deciding to rebuild, Trumbo is a good trade piece. 

1. You don't trade Trumbo, he's our best hitter and like others have pointed out he's always dedicated to get better and made adjustments.

2. Chris Denorfia and Cashner?! A 4th outfielder and a reliever?! Terrible...

3. If Trumbo was going to be trade bait we better get an overwhelming haul for him, he should be what we are building around. A good match would be the Royals, a team with tons of young pitching and a need for a nice power bat in the middle of their lineup.

he should be what we are building around.

A streaky hitter with a career OBP of .309, whose highest HR total is 32 to date, who can't defend and is essentially a full-time DH, is NOT the kind of player you build around.  He's also 27, so unlikely that he's going to get a whole let better.  Again, nice player, I like Trumbo, but some of you really overestimate his value.  He's on fire right now and he's one of the few guys producing in a lineup that is otherwise awful.  Does no one remember the second half of last season?

I love how people want to equate trading away Trumbo with Tony Reagins, when Tony Reagins made the colossally bone-headed move of trading for Vernon Wells, who at the time was a very similar hitter to Trumbo - sexy counting stats and not much else.

i wouldn't do this trade, but I think Trumbo is overvalued by many on this board, particularly at the moment because he's on a hot streak.  

A couple things - first, he hits for power but that's about it.  Mediocre average (he will finish at .250/.260), very few walks, lots of strikeouts, and is not a good defender.  People are easily seduced by the HR.  For the right return, I would trade him, even though it would hurt because he's a local boy and he is talented.

The other thing is, you'd only be trading Trumbo if you're doing a tear-down and trying to rebuild, in which case by the time you're ready to contend again, Trumbo will have been a FA and you'll end up having to pay him more money than he's worth.  Would be wise to trade him now - again, IF you're deciding that it's rebuilding time,

Teams with Hamilton and Pujols don't tear-down unless you can unload those guys as part of the shake-up. Too much of the teams cash is committed to them.

Like I said first, I wouldn't do the OP's proposed trade. But I do think if you're deciding to rebuild, Trumbo is a good trade piece. 

If you are deciding to rebuild, it's Trout that will be traded before Trumbo.  Trout will get you a much better return, with some elite prospects in the mix.  There is no guarantee that Trout will even resign with the Angels, whereas Trumbo grew up an Angels fan and is from the area and might give the Angels a deal like Weaver to stay with the team.  

In either case, it's a 50/50 chance that if you rebuild it succeeds.  For every Teixerra to Atlanta result, there is a Cabrera to the Tigers.  

You build around players like Trout and Trumbo, not trade them away.

It's weird to me that people still insist Trumbo is so overvalued, and act like he's some scrub that's had a few lucky streaks.  Dating back to the beginning of last season, his OPS by month:

Mar/April:  .916

May: 1.077

June: .899

July: .864

Aug: .550

Sept/Oct: .554

Mar/April: .862

May: 1.250 (small sample size obv)

Considering he suffered from a dislocated rib at the end of July last year, it seems more reasonable to assume he's more the hitter we've seen the majority of this past season+, and less the one that coincidentally dropped off after suffering an injury that may have bothered him more than he admitted.  

Aside from all that, Trumbo is just a really likable player.  He has a great work ethic, has been moved all around the field position-wise with no complaint, and has continuously worked at improving his biggest weakness as a hitter.  If every player on this team had the same mentality as Trumbo, they'd probably suck a lot less than they do now.  

It's hard to imagine being more disappointed by this team than I am now, but it'd probably happen if they traded Trumbo away.  

i wouldn't do this trade, but I think Trumbo is overvalued by many on this board, particularly at the moment because he's on a hot streak.  

A couple things - first, he hits for power but that's about it.  Mediocre average (he will finish at .250/.260), very few walks, lots of strikeouts, and is not a good defender.  People are easily seduced by the HR.  For the right return, I would trade him, even though it would hurt because he's a local boy and he is talented.

The other thing is, you'd only be trading Trumbo if you're doing a tear-down and trying to rebuild, in which case by the time you're ready to contend again, Trumbo will have been a FA and you'll end up having to pay him more money than he's worth.  Would be wise to trade him now - again, IF you're deciding that it's rebuilding time,

EWWW, THAT'S A BINGO!!  He may be on pace for 46 HR's, but what difference does that make with lack of run production and too many sluggers giving into the pitcher.  Pujols and Hamilton have proven track records to hit for AVG.  Besides, they're locked in.  Cashner would be the main pot sweetner with the deal, about intimidating as they get, Denorfia would complement with the Scioscia scheme of things. 

A bit of a knee-jerk reaction from last night after blowing a lead to the worst team in baseball.  I'll drop the suggestion and see this lineup through more, I'm just afraid it may be easier for opposing pitchers as it is.    Hopefully that won't be the case, but Scioscia's more and more a misfit if this continues to go on.