• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin.com Today: The Scioscia Era – Where did it go wrong?

14 minutes ago, nate said:

He kept trying to play a style that didn't match his roster.

Okay cool.   Fair argument..  I too think they ran too often.  I also think Gary Disarcina was the dumbest 3B coach in history butI don't doubt he was acting on orders to keep them aggressive.

So let's pretend in an alternate universe those teams stopped trying to run.   The team stop trying to create runs or force the action and just waits for it's newly acquired HR hitters, Pujols, Hamilton, and Freese to drive the offense -- because history shows that they all came through as planned..   So what if any impact would that have had on the pitching side?  As the numbers show ... it wasn't the lack of offense that killed those teams..  

BTW Nate -- I didn't say it before, thanks for the article and it's ensuing discussion.   Doesn't matter how stupid we all take the discussions, the article itself was on point.  Good job.

1 hour ago, CALZONE said:

And then there's 2014 when he pulled the plug on everything and immediately secured tee times after they clinched the AL West. 

this is why i find this argument worthless every single year it's brought up about sosh. dumb posts and thought processes like this.

the guy ran out the same team that won 98 games but people have it in their mind sosh pitches and hits, as well....or need to have some dumb thought process to fill an agenda.

10 hours ago, nate said:

It wasn't just drafting, it was the whole org strategy in 2009+, terrible FA signings, terrible drafts, trading away all of the prospects for rentals.  Scioscia not being able to adapt, Arte picking awful GMs and extending Scioscia to a ludicrous contract extension.

And I have never met a sports fan that doesn't expect their team to at least compete every year, knowing that there are going to be down years but missing the playoffs 6 out of 7 years with a top payroll is not acceptable.

i think it's also worth mentioning about sosh's over reliance on playing struggling veterans like finley, hamilton, and hillenbrand. 

9 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

It's amazing how so many people keep scapegoating the Pujols and Hamilton signings as the reason this team isn't that good. The real reasons are clear - we spend our off seasons building our roster off the waiver wire.

When we were going good we were talking about which short stop prospect between Aybar, Wood, and Callaspo was going to be the best. We debated the merits of Kotchman vs Morales, or if Skaggs, Corbin and Saunders was too much for Dan Haren. Now we look for clean peanuts.

pretty much this.

On 5/29/2017 at 2:12 PM, nate said:

He kept trying to play a style that didn't match his roster.

This would have more merit if people would be perfectly satisfied sitting around and waiting for the solo homerun.  I'd usually call it a three run homer but it's not like we had a ton of OBP guys the last five years.  

16 hours ago, Stradling said:

This would have more merit if people would be perfectly satisfied sitting around and waiting for the solo homerun.  I'd usually call it a three run homer but it's not like we had a ton of OBP guys the last five years.  

It was more playing inferior players because they were gritty.

29 minutes ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

This could take a week, lets start with Eddie Bane who go fired by Tony Reagins. Scioscia's puppet.The housecleaning of the scouting department by the Los Angeles Angels not only included Bane, but three regional scouts as well. 

So Reagins fired him, got it. There were two Scioscia's on the grassy knoll.  What a troll. 

4 minutes ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

Mickey Hatcher was the fall guy for Scioscia, Butcher and Baylor got fired as well. It's everyone's fault but Scioscia's. 

You have no idea why Butcher was fired, especially since he wasn't really fired.  It was a parting of the ways and it was directly related to the Dipoto quitting.  Hatched just wasn't good. 

25 minutes ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

Sorry I don't have all the names. IN 2011 THE Angels fired or demoted nearly everyone in the front office, including Flores. When Jerry Dipoto took over as GM, he said, "The analytics department is [now] baseball ops." Sabermetrics, in other words, would be part of everything the front office did -- including player development.

So Dipoto fired people and it had nothing to do with Scioscia.  Thank you for clarifying.