• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin.com Today: The Scioscia Era – Where did it go wrong?

Just now, ANAHEIMBOB said:

Winning baseball games should be at the top of the list. 

He's won a lot of games. The problem is getting to the playoffs and being successful there.

2002, 2005 (to the ALCS), 2009 (same). And then there was Boston.

17 years at the helm: one title and two other pretty good results. That's what ten-year extensions are made of.

1 minute ago, eligrba said:

I think that may be why people have a Scioscia fixation.  He has had more talented teams who achieved less.

We lost to one team that was worse than us or had less talent, The White Sox.  At least in my opinion.  

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Fixed it for you to be more accurate. 

I wouldn't use the "s" word to describe the 2002 rotation. They were better than that. Ortiz, Washburn, and Lackey went 42-19 with ERA's in the 3's. After that it dropped off a bit. Appier was so-so at 14-12. Sele was the only starter under .500 at 8-9. The bullpen did help considerably though, but the starters were not terrible.

Edited by fan_since79

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

I think they were better than every Boston team they lost to. They just did their typical pants-shitting against that team. 

There's no way the Royals in 2014 were a better team. 

That Royals team was just on fire.  Most of those guys never came close to repeating the success they had that season.

Those were some pretty good Boston teams, I always thought that the problem with those Angels teams in the playoffs was that their style of stringing together several hits didn't work when you are facing way above average pitching.  That was the attempted reconstruction they went through after 2009 where they tried to go for more power and OBP but that style just doesn't work with Scioscia.  He is a much more active manager, hit and run, sac bunts, suicide squeeze, etc.  Doesn't work when you don't have a lineup full of high contact hitters.

12 minutes ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

The Angels could have won both games in Anaheim.  Scioscia played Hamilton coming off an injury <0-13>. A few bad pitching decisions didn't help the team. 

There was one bad pitching decision, the starter for game 3.  The first two games went 12 innings.  At some point if you want to win an extra inning game the offense needs to show up.  Trout and Albert didn't have a hit until game 3 I believe.  

6 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

The Angels would have won game 1 pretty easily if it weren't for Aoki making the luckiest catches I've ever seen in my life. I still hate that Asian **** to this day for that shit. 

Yeah.  Angels offense didn't perform like they needed to though.