• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cron sent down, Nolan Fontana called up

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Me thinks Pennington or Espinosa are gonzo. 

Yep... 

You have to wonder that the reason Cowart didn't play yesterday is because they're going to demote Cron and promote Fontana, then promote Cowart after releasing one of Pennington/Espinosa to play 3B. 

By adding Cowart and Fontana, you get two guys who have sported a .374 & .393 OBP respectively. 

Fontana has 24 walks in AAA, Cowart 26. 

The timing of all this makes no sense. Espinosa actually showed some signs of life last game and Pennington has basically been the ceiling of Fontana as a decent backup infielder. Espinosa has been shitty but it was pretty well known what he was when we got him: a good fielder and bad hitter who is capable of going off for a month and salvaging his numbers. The fact that he is a black hole will be easier to take when Calhoun and the 1b position start hitting how they should be. 

2 minutes ago, SigBaby said:

The timing of all this makes no sense. Espinosa actually showed some signs of life last game and Pennington has basically been the ceiling of Fontana as a decent backup infielder. Espinosa has been shitty but it was pretty well known what he was when we got him: a good fielder and bad hitter who is capable of going off for a month and salvaging his numbers. The fact that he is a black hole will be easier to take when Calhoun and the 1b position start hitting how they should be. 

By signs of life, you mean not striking out for once? 

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Maybe this will ignite Cron, like it has in the past?

Cron tore it up down there last season not sure if it was a injury or performance. I think he will do well down there. I just don't think he can figure it out in the bigs

Fontana replacing Pennington is something that has made some sense for a while. Pennington is basically a zero at the plate and now an average defender. Hardly a valuable commodity. I'm curious to see if Fontana's plate discipline will carry to the majors. Plus, Fontana is an above average defender at numerous positions. 

6 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Fontana through 490 games has a minor league career OBP of .379.

I'll take that over a guaranteed strikeout from our 2B. 

Offensively, it doesn't appear that he does much else aside from walking, though.  No power, doesn't hit for average, and doesn't appear from the numbers to be a very effective base-stealer, either.  I'm not a big Sherman Johnson fan, but at this point, why is Fontana a better choice than him?

2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Offensively, it doesn't appear that he does much else aside from walking, though.  No power, doesn't hit for average, and doesn't appear from the numbers to be a very effective base-stealer, either.  I'm not a big Sherman Johnson fan, but at this point, why is Fontana a better choice than him?

Yeah, I agree, though they value defense so that's probably why they went with Fontana who gets high grades for his defense and OBP. 

Fontana hit 7 doubles and 5 HR's in Triple-A through 30 games, so while he doesn't have a ton of power, he's no Ben Revere either.