• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Holy Crap, Trout is Good

Today was such a typical Trout game: 2-3 with an HR and double, two walks, one stolen base, and a strikeout thrown in for good measure. His seasonal line is now .350/.466/.757 in 40 games played, with 14 HR, 31 runs, 34 RBI, 9 SB, a 222 wRC+ and 3.2 fWAR.

I'm convinced that he's having a legitimate step up. I don't expect him to maintain that line or finish with 12 WAR, but I could see him finishing with something like .320+/.430+/.620+, with 40+ HR and a 10+ fWAR - which would be his best year.

I swear to god if he goes into an 0-12 slump now I'm sending you a pic of my balls. 

But yes, Trout just keeps getting better. As I mentioned in the GD thread, his BABIP is only .368, which is absolutely sustainable by his standards. Whether the power and ISO are sustainable is a different story, but if anyone can do it....

5 minutes ago, Brandon said:

he still has three years after this one. if he's getting better, he would be a fool to rush to be locked down.

this freak out from people about being locked up with over 3+ years remaining is comical.

It's the history of this team that is starting to affect my thinking.

Just now, fan_since79 said:

It's the history of this team that is starting to affect my thinking.

But the history of this team has little to do with the present.  How many home grown players have we lost to free agency, Lackey?  Anything that happened pre-Arte doesn't count.  This is the guy that Arte will pay.  The team needs to focus on improving and not salvaging the future, two things it is currently trying to do.    

2 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Arte might be a little gun-shy after giving the declining Pujols $250 mill and throwing away $125 mill on that other guy.

It might take $400 million or more to keep Trout here for a long time. There will be no shortage of bidders for his services.

There is a difference between paying a guy that you saw do it in another uniform and being gun shy and paying a guy that has done it for you for 8-10 years.  He is also the face of Major League baseball, without an ego.  

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

he's going to anyway if the team continues to suck.

Yankees and Phillies seem to be ahead of us on the rebuilding thing, especially NY. You know they're going to be salivating over the prospect of adding Trout and winning a title.

We've got a big mountain to climb even to get to postseason success, but I feel good about Eppler at the helm. It's not his fault that the guys he picked up forgot how to hit a baseball and many of our pitchers' arms fell off.

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

There is a difference between paying a guy that you saw do it in another uniform and being gun shy and paying a guy that has done it for you for 8-10 years.  He is also the face of Major League baseball, without an ego.  

Arte already declined a long-term extension from the Trout camp. Now AW will get "lock-him-up" threads/posts daily. Thanks, Arturo!

Guess who....

LOL at the Harper butthurt. Folks, get used to it: he's great and he's going to keep on being great, perhaps as good or even better than Trout going forward.

2016 was the fluke - he struggled for whatever reason. But he's back to his 2015 form and showing no signs of falling off. I think he's probably going to be the best hitter in the majors for the next five+ years, possibly the best overall player, or at least roughly equal to Trout. Get over it.

I think what we can say with some degree of certainty is that Harper, at his best, is as good as Trout, maybe even a tad better - at least with the bat. 

No, Harper has not been better than Trout over the course of their respective careers, but right now--in this season--they've been about equal, and going forward Harper could be as good or possibly even better, at least in terms of hitting alone.

Bryce Harper could be the Ted Williams of this era: the most dangerous player at the plate, but disliked by everyone, including his teammates.

26 minutes ago, #CF8 said:

Arte already declined a long-term extension from the Trout camp. Now AW will get "lock-him-up" threads/posts daily. Thanks, Arturo!

While obviously it was probably a mistake not going longer with Trout than 6 years, I think Arte was just being cautious.  When Trout signed his huge extension he had only played two full seasons.  Now that he is five years into an AMAZING career I'm guessing Arte will try to fix his mistake. 

@#CF8, so what's your point? What does that have to do with my OP here?

And yes, I still think that Harper could be the better hitter of the two over the next 5+ years. Emphasis on could (I even italicized it in one of the quotes you included).

That's a lot of work trying to invalidate me for some reason. Did I shit on your couch? Or are you just butthurt?

42 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Uh oh...Harper, last five games:

.100/.100/.100

2-for-20, 1 RBI

No surprise. Harper hasn't exactly light the world on fire in May outside of 2015. It was during this point last year that he started sucking. What excuses are people going to make for him this time? He's got good protection in the lineup while Trout has nobody right now.