• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels interested in Fister....

the last time he was a solid starter was 2014 and most of that was smoke and mirrors.  

By bringing in someone like him, you are basically saying a few things.  One, you are looking for innings regardless of quality.  Two, you ain't getting anyone back any time soon.  Three, you aren't seeing enough from Meyer or Wright to think they can hold down the fort. 

It's probably worth a shot, but don't expect much better than what we've been getting.  He'll just be able to do it for longer stretches.  

43 minutes ago, disarcina said:

for us, right now, Fister is a definite upgrade.

I don't understand how anyone can say that. The guy hasn't pitched anywhere since last year. And it's not like the Angels are the only team that needs pitching. All 30 teams want to stockpile as much pitching as possible and none of them have signed this guy. 

Hes a gamble just like Meyer or Wright. Except those guys are at least young and under control. 

I'd rather just keep on going with what the team has. Fister is not an upside play.  He'll just cost more.  This season is falling away fast anyway.  The offense certainly hasn't shown any ability to be consistently effective.  Left field and second base are sinkholes right now (again). Trout is down.  I'm not sure it's worth it. 

It's still early May so I'm not throwing in the towel, but I'm not overly optimistic. 

I'd be more interested in Luke Hochevar. There must be some serious red-flags going on for him to have not generated any interest this winter (all I could find was that he was intending on signing with a club for the second half of the year) but since he converted to relief, he's been very solid, albeit with a lost year to injury. 

2013-2016 (did not pitch in '14, injured):
147 G, 158.1 IP, 2.96 ERA, 1.03 WHIP, 143 ERA+, 3.55 FIP, 6.9 H/9, 1.2 HR/9, 2.4 BB/9, 9.7 K/9

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

I'd be more interested in Luke Hochevar. There must be some serious red-flags going on for him to have not generated any interest this winter (all I could find was that he was intending on signing with a club for the second half of the year) but since he converted to relief, he's been very solid, albeit with a lost year to injury. 

2013-2016 (did not pitch in '14, injured):
147 G, 158.1 IP, 2.96 ERA, 1.03 WHIP, 143 ERA+, 3.55 FIP, 6.9 H/9, 1.2 HR/9, 2.4 BB/9, 9.7 K/9

He had surgery last August after it was discovered he suffered from thoracic outlet syndrome - a nerve disorder between the neck and shoulder. Looks like he felt numbness in his fingers and finally figured out the cause. 

Edit: 

Jeffrey Flanagan of MLB.com writes that while Luke Hochevar (thoracic outlet syndrome) could be a second half signing for someone, 2017 is "more than likely a wash for him."
Hochevar underwent surgery last August for thoracic outlet syndrome, but Flanagan notes that his procedure was "more complicated" than Kyle Zimmer, who had also had surgery last August, but managed to start the season on time. The 33-year-old is currently a free agent and we should hear more about a potential landing spot as his throwing program progresses. Apr 18 - 2:36 PM
Source: Royals.mlb.com
Edited by Lou