• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Its Time....

eligrba

I have been lurking for a while but this has been on my mind; more and more every day. 

I am actually optimistic Trout does re-sign with the Angels. It's going to be a matter of does Arte back up the brinks truck. And why the Hell not? Trout is worth a $40/M a year, 10-year contract tacked onto the current one that runs until 2020. Offer him that; I bet he signs it. Offer him some team ownership in retirement or something unique. Get it done, whatever it takes. This is the one exception to the rule that goes beyond just on the field performance and "how will be be at 38" and all that dumb jargon. Sign him, dot he best you can around him. Stop worrying about the rest now and just make it priority #1 the only priority to get him locked down. The rest we will figure out. 

I have a feeling that Billy Eppler thinks he's going to get it done too. Just a weird feeling. 

6 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

I would try to extend him in the off season by adding a additional 7 seven years to his current contract. He'll be 36 when the contract expires. He should be a lot easier to extend at that point in his career. 

But he loves the sun and he loves the east coast. I think he's going to play for Jeets and Jeb.

48 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

If that's the case ... screw him and trade him on the off season. He will get a $14M raise next season ($33.25M). 

Lol 

But in all seriousness he has a no-trade deal that handcuffs the organization all the way through the end of his deal.

Now let's fast-forward to July of 2020 when nearing the deadline Trout says he will approve a trade to only one team (insert team name here). Now that one team really doesn't need to give us much because we stand to get nothing but a first round pick two months later if we don't move him.

I don't think Trout will approve an extension. His agent made it perfectly clear that he would like to keep his options open. He's going to explore the open market or approve a trade to a team and location that he and his family is comfortable with that will pay him open market value. Stay tuned, he's not going anywhere unless he says so. The Angels have zero control over this. 

2 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

I would hate to see Trout go through what Pujols is experiencing ... trying to live up to his contract. Then suddenly the fans turn on you because you can't physically. 

That's why the dum dum should have stayed in St. Louis.  He could go up, drop trou, and shit on home plate each at bat at Busch and they'd give him a standing ovation.

21 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

and to be accurate, unless you count the press conference in front of the stadium, I don't think Angels fans ever "turned" on Pujols here.  He started his career not getting a homer until May 15.

And in that same season he put up a 5 WAR.  Now it's totally fine to hate on the guy, most everyone does.  But his first season he had a very good season, just a slow start.  

On 4/23/2017 at 0:32 PM, Angelsjunky said:

I hate to say this, but why would Trout be interested in signing away his career to the Angels at 25 years old, especially considering how crappy the team is? If I'm Trout I'm not signing as an Angel long-term until I see signs that the franchise will thrive.

There's also the problem of location. I really wouldn't be surprised if Trout is just waiting for his chance to sign a mega-contract with the Phillies or Yankees.

You make a good point.  However the Angels have an advantage that the Yankees and Phillies don't have:  That is exclusive negotiating rights for the three plus years.  No one knows what could happen during that time. Your only one tragic injury or accident away from your career ending.  Right now only the Angels can guarantee his salary for the 13+ years.  

Now Trout could always not care about money.  After all he is already secure for life.  However turning down 400 million guaranteed is very difficult to do.  

42 minutes ago, stormngt said:

You make a good point.  However the Angels have an advantage that the Yankees and Phillies don't have:  That is exclusive negotiating rights for the three plus years.  No one knows what could happen during that time. Your only one tragic injury or accident away from your career ending.  Right now only the Angels can guarantee his salary for the 13+ years.  

Now Trout could always not care about money.  After all he is already secure for life.  However turning down 400 million guaranteed is very difficult to do.  

Who's offering $400M?

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Dude you pretend to know what Trout, his agent and Arte are thinking all the damn time.  It's pretty hypocritical of you to ask a question like this.  

Strad I've never heard that there was a $400M offer on the table. If you know different please share that with the rest of the baseball world. $400M would be biggest offer in history. Does Arte know about this?

I've said it in many post that we have no idea where Trout wants to play in the future. Here's what we do know. He's currently planning his wedding to marry his HS sweetheart and they are both from Millville NJ but we don't know if that will factor into "their" decision of their permanent domicile. He's under a contract that gives him complete control over his baseball future. The Angels can't trade him or extend him without his permission. AJ kinda eluded to him seeing his future with the Yankees or Phillies. I'm not so sure the Phillies can pay him and I think the Yankees will pursue Harper. The Red Sox will definitely be a player if the Yanks sign Harper. 

I've always said that Trout has worked hard to be the best baseball player his whole life and he deserves to be part of the Big Stage each and every year. I also believe that he may want to play for a team with a great tradition and history. He's earned the right and respect from every team in MLB to play wherever he wants and no one should question his family's decision in the process. 

He can choose to stay but the Angels organizational direction at the time will be factored in.