• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Calolfornia

14 hours ago, Jason said:

My sarcasm detector doesn’t know how to read this 

Lol, he's angry because he feels he isn't being judged fairly. He ranted a list of things that he thinks California is doing well. I don't like the guy but this was a moment when we got to see a politician acting honestly, and that's rare.

10 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Lol, he's angry because he feels he isn't being judged fairly. He ranted a list of things that he thinks California is doing well. I don't like the guy but this was a moment when we got to see a politician acting honestly, and that's rare.

Nailed it

I think his frustration is the Democratic Party hasn’t rallied around him yet. I believe they will but he probably feels slighted. He was a key player in implementing lockdowns, mask, and voter fraud. He hasn’t received payment and his frustration is starting to show. 

2 minutes ago, Kotchman said:

I think his frustration is the Democratic Party hasn’t rallied around him yet. I believe they will but he probably feels slighted. He was a key player in implementing lockdowns, mask, and voter fraud. He hasn’t received payment and his frustration is starting to show. 

They don’t really have to because there are very few republicans that hold office here and they have zero power. It really is a one party state. I don’t think he’ll be recalled but it is fun seeing him sweat it out a bit. 

2 minutes ago, Kotchman said:

Already sent my ballot in.  That the party is banking on this being a republican vs democrat thing, and stressing it's a waste of taxpayer money when they are still trying to go after Trump even after office, is just showing how stupid they think Calolfornia voters are.  And that they use Warren as their rep defending him makes it even more out of touch.  

Yes they know he isn’t going to lose so they haven’t spent resources defending him. However I think he is looking at future political opportunities and this recall at least hinders him a bit. The media is spending more time hammering rep governors and he would appreciate some coverage praising his performance. 

On 10/14/2020 at 9:18 AM, Adam said:

Prop 22 would classify app-based drivers (rideshare and delivery) as ICs. To qualify as an app-based driver platform, companies need to allow ICs to log in / log off at will and all jobs must be offered via app (on-demand only). This disqualifies routed drivers from IC Status, regardless of the desires of those workers or ICs in any other field like technicians (satellite, fiberoptic cabling, etc.) 

Additionally, companies have to ensure drivers earn 120% of minimum wage in non-tip income. Companies must contribute to healthcare on a sliding scale - 41% (I think) of Covered CA average rate for their demo for people who work 15-25 hours per week and 80% for drivers who work more than 25 hours. They also have to provide injury and disability insurance up to $1M in coverage.

Like all regulation, it's fantastic for big business because they can afford to comply with it while effectively killing the small business owner's ability to compete in the market.

Personally, I think it would be better for freedom if it fails, even though the next 2-4 years will be horrible. There are two live cases right now, where the judges struck down AB5 (temporarily) for companies with a Motor Carrier Permit. There's a reasonable chance all MCs wind up exempt from AB5 once those cases are settled. 

But if it doesn't pass, Uber and Lyft will either make drivers W2s or more likely, just pull out of CA. To make employees work, our fares go up significantly. It will be even harder to retain and attract enough workers.

Only a very small percentage of current Uber/Lyft drivers would stick as employees. I ran through the math with my buddy. He works 60 hours a week right now and makes $1500-$2K after gas and car washes and can write off all miles and other expenses. As an employee getting $13/hr + tips and mileage reimbursement for 40 hours a week and no tax deductions his net income will be about 40% of what it is right now. Even the small percentage of drivers who want to be employees are just idiots, who can't do math or just want to milk the clock for a few hundred bucks a week.  

I think the best bet long term is to hope it fails and have all the gig companies leave CA, which would cause the voters to hold the politicians accountable.

But if it passes, my biggest client will enter California and I'll get rich. haha

Now what?

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2021-08-20/prop-22-unconstitutional

9 hours ago, Lhalo said:

They will win on appeal. Theatrics and the appeal process will take a long time. Attended a briefing on this the other day.

I don’t really care either way. I’m getting more business from the companies that can’t afford to comply with prop 22

9 hours ago, Taylor said:

Now Uber and Lyft are going to go out of business, and their drivers will have to sell their children to slavery. That's what I was told would happen if I voted against it.

Taking an Uber is already unaffordable now that prop 22 passed. I haven’t used it this year.

15 minutes ago, AngelsLongBall said:

Takes twenty minutes to find an actual ride

Yep not enough drivers working either. They were allowed to set their own rates prior to prop 22 but that wasn’t good enough for our betters. 

I still use the food apps sometimes. That shit went up 20% too. 

My car broke down a couple of months back and I was taking Uber/Lyft to work for a couple days. What a mess, one day I paid almost $70 for an 18 mile trip, another I was standing around waiting an hour for a ride. 

After prop 22 passed I noticed the Uber food delivery added in their 'driver benefits fee.' I just stopped tipping. 

3 hours ago, Adam said:

Yep not enough drivers working either. They were allowed to set their own rates prior to prop 22 but that wasn’t good enough for our betters. 

I still use the food apps sometimes. That shit went up 20% too. 

I think the problem is the pandemic and them shooting themselves in the foot.  It's not that most of the former drivers aren't working, and just sitting collecting unemployment.  It's that most of the drivers transitioned from Uber to Uber Eats and the other various food delivery companies.  They pretty much get paid the same if not more, but they stay in their local areas, don't have to deal with stupid, and won't end up on the other side of the county after their various fares.  One of my friends used to deliver for Amazon Fresh, and he said that the tips were bigger in food delivery compared to driving shmucks around. 

15 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

I think the problem is the pandemic and them shooting themselves in the foot.  It's not that most of the former drivers aren't working, and just sitting collecting unemployment.  It's that most of the drivers transitioned from Uber to Uber Eats and the other various food delivery companies.  They pretty much get paid the same if not more, but they stay in their local areas, don't have to deal with stupid, and won't end up on the other side of the county after their various fares.  One of my friends used to deliver for Amazon Fresh, and he said that the tips were bigger in food delivery compared to driving shmucks around. 

A little of that for sure. UI benefits for ICs during pandemic created some permanent dead beats and some have just gotten regular shitty jobs

1 hour ago, cals said:

You stupid fucks it’s not Prop 22.  I was in Chicago this summer and it took forever to get an Uber and taxis were about half the price.  You ever think maybe Uber is finally charging enough to try to be profitable?  That $5 ride 20 miles across the county was the just the free crack drug dealers offer before getting you hooked.  And they were hemorrhaging money during that time.

One of the thoughts I've had about Uber is that they just aren't built to be profitable. Yes they have been subsidizing rides but when you add the fees up they are nearly as much as what they are paying the driver for their time and automobile expense - that's unsustainable.

I took a look right now at prices for rides, 45 minute, 25 mile ride for $55. If they pay drivers $30 an hour, that's $22.50. If they pay them 50 cents a mile for car expenses that's $12.50, for a total of $35 to the driver. So roughly $20 to uber, and for what - maintaining an app and lobbying expense? How are they not profitable?

2 hours ago, cals said:

You stupid fucks it’s not Prop 22.  I was in Chicago this summer and it took forever to get an Uber and taxis were about half the price.  You ever think maybe Uber is finally charging enough to try to be profitable?  That $5 ride 20 miles across the county was the just the free crack drug dealers offer before getting you hooked.  And they were hemorrhaging money during that time.

Chicago is a $15/hr min wage town.  They have to charge a bunch there because if driver earnings aren’t 15/he before tips and after expenses they will be flooded by wage claims and class actions. Despite IC status you want to eliminate those causes of action as best you can.

Drivers pre-prop 22 made more $ in CA. They make more under it than they would as W2s but it’s still enough of a cut that fewer want to do it