• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kris Bryant gets pranked (classic!)

fan_since79

Just for an FYI. My great nephew pitches for the UNLV baseball team, and Greg Maddux is the pitching coach for the Rebel baseball team this year. My nephew has told me several times that Maddux has a great sense of humor and is always joking with the players during workouts. Apparently, when Maddux tosses batting practice he treats the rebel team players the same way that he teased Chris Bryant. My nephew has also said that in the four months since school has started he has learned a tremendous amount about pitching from Maddux. And I can't doubt that. How could you not learn something from a HOF pitcher the quality of a Maddux.

UNLV starts their baseball season this weekend at home against Omaha. I plan on being there (if it doesn't get rained out) and my nephew has promised that he would introduce me to Greg Maddux. I'm really looking forward to that.

2 hours ago, gotbeer said:

That was great.  And I didn't know that Maddux was from Vegas.  Oh and can we sign him for the pen?

Valley High School has quite a history of sending players to the majors. Mike and Greg Maddux, Tyler Houston and Mike Morgan, just off the top of my head. Bryce Harper wasn't one of them - he went to Las Vegas High. Kris Bryant went to Bonanza.

Maddux still lives here. His house is in Spanish Trail, where a lot of the wealthy live locally. Neighbors would be people like Penn and Teller, Andre Agassi and the Sultan of Brunei.

10 hours ago, Kevinb said:

Maddux is my all time favorite baseball player 

He is pretty close to it for me, too.

I will say he is probably the most complete pitcher I ever saw, when you consider how he hit, how he fielded his position and how well he pitched WITHOUT the benefit of a 95 mph fastball. No matter where a hitter's weak spot was, lefty or righty, Maddux had a pitch that would start somewhere else and move into that weak spot. Or, it would start at the hitter's sweet spot and move off the plate. Splitter, slider, cut fast ball, change;  he had it all. And he had so much movement that, yes, he did get a lot of favorable calls from the umps. That much movement was bound to force some mistakes by the umps. Now, we've all seen how many times the CF camera would show Maddux getting strike calls on pitches that the catcher's mitt was off the plate. I always contended that lots of those pitches DID cross the plate, then moved off the plate before they got to the mitt.

I remember reading an article where he admitted his biggest weakness was holding a runner on first and allowing a higher percentage of stolen bases than most. But he justified this by saying he had gotten analytical about it and determined that he would achieve a better outcome in the inning by concentrating on the batter and paying little attention to the runner. And it worked very well for him, for a lot of years. To have a career WHIP of 1.14 for a starter is pretty incredible, especially when you consider he was still throwing nearly 200 innings in his 40s.

Many of his teammates, coaches, managers and front office staff have said he was the smartest pitcher they ever saw. I find it amazing that he is only working at the college level. He must really want to live in the Las Vegas area and be doing exactly what he is doing. Heck, a seven month commitment of living on the road must get old, after having done it for 22+ years. Oh yeah, and he did earn 153 million in salary, during his big league career, not counting endorsements. So, he can do anything he wants.

In this era of hard-throwing pitchers who blow their arms out quickly, more pitching coaches should analyze what allowed Greg Maddux to pitch for as long and as successfully as he did, without the benefit of a blazing fastball. Did he ever suffer a pitching injury during his prime that kept him out of action for any significant time? I can't recall one, but maybe he did.

I saw Koufax, Drysdale, Gibson, Ryan, Carlton, Seaver, Clemens, Marichal, Pedro, Randy Johnson pitch. But I dont think I ever saw a more complete pitcher than Greg Maddux. Eighth, all-time, in career WAR.

2 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

In this era of hard-throwing pitchers who blow their arms out quickly, more pitching coaches should analyze what allowed Greg Maddux to pitch for as long and as successfully as he did, without the benefit of a blazing fastball. Did he ever suffer a pitching injury during his prime that kept him out of action for any significant time? I can't recall one, but maybe he did.

I found an article from 2002 that said that Maddux was going to the 15-day DL for the first time in his career with an inflamed nerve in his lower back (not an arm problem). He pitched in the majors from 1986 through 2008.

Greg Maddux goes on DL