• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Street/Bedrosian/Bailey to compete for closer

Chuck

Angels manager Mike Scioscia said Wednesday that he's planning to have Huston Street, Cam Bedrosian, and Andrew Bailey compete for the closer job in spring training.

Street would seem to have the edge, but he isn't going to have the job handed to him after an injury-plagued season where he posted an ugly 6.45 ERA and 14/12 K/BB ratio over 22 1/3 innings. The 33-year-old required minor knee surgery in August, but he's expected to be ready for spring training. Bedrosian is the closer of the future here, but Bailey had a strong finish in the role.

Without acquiring a few more arms, this may be the most pessimistic I've ever been about our own. Street and Bedrock are both coming off injuries. Bailey gave us one strong month. All three are question marks.

Then there's the guys rounding out the pen. Alvarez, Gutierrez, Morin. 

Not good. At minimum we need to sign one FA, pick up one in the Rule 5, and have one of our prospects breakout. Then we'll be in better shape.

28 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

My money is on street being moved early on...i think theyre hoping he can have a strong spring and flip him for something. 

A strong spring isn't going to do anything to recoup any value he once had.  His lack of dominant stuff means he's gonna need to show that he can still close actual games.  If he can do that, then he might have some decent value by the deadline, but I wouldn't count on it.  

Usually, scratching your nuts is pretty satisfying but I get your point, Oz. 

I can't believe Huston Street is only 33. Seems like he's been around forever. I'm hoping he was so bad last year due to injury & NOT lack of stuff. Bailey finished on a good note last season. Bedrock was solid & down right nasty last season. 

I'm not completely scared but I don't feel good about it, either. Bringing in Jason Grilli when he appeared to be done worked out in our favor. My biggest fear is we blame their Spring High ERA's on them being vets & working out kinks, then starting 1 of the 2 older guys as the closer & they bomb & the Angels get off to a slow start...again.  

The point was, the three will be competing for the job, because those are the three best bullpen guys he has been given.  The only way you would have liked anything he would have said is if he would have claimed Bedrosian the closer on December 7th, which is ridiculous especially since he is coming off of injury.  It really isn't unprecedented for Scioscia to go with the young guy in the closers role.  Percy took over for Smith, and Frankie took over for Percy.  

Just now, hangin n wangin said:

And I would disagree. Because it's not. He pitched abysmal last year and his stuff is not as good as Bedrosian. So why should it be his job to lose?

It's not as big a deal as you're making it out to be. If Street isn't showing closer stuff he won't be closing. I like to see either Cam or Bailey in a James Shields type of role.

Let's not forget Meyers or Ramirez might be in the mix too.

My guess is Street will be the closer unless he is extremely ineffective. The goal would be to re-establish him as a healthy, experienced, and effective closer to trade him for some value. If Street is good enough to pitch in the 7th inning might as well let him be the closer if we aren't winning the West anyway.