• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto Vs Eppler (was it a good idea parting ways with J.D.?)

7 hours ago, cezero said:

It's not "whatever moves", it's lots and lots of moves. 

There's a disconnect here with how signing big name free agents impacts farm building. 

There is no disconnect --  Preston Gomez was a family friend - I was painfully aware of the purge Dipoto implemented and the people he removed while trying to reshape the farm system.  I have friends in the Yankee, Red Sox, and Cinci systems who have told me the collection of scouts brought in by Stoneman and in place through the purge were among the best in MLB and how it was completely trashed by the JD regime.  The guys he removed were decidedly old school in that the stats came second but they had a clue how to scout... still they were deemed "obsolete" by the incoming GM.

A person can argue that the moves at the MLB level impacted how they went about business in the draft -- but it went far deeper than that.

Just now, Tank said:

I need a translator for this one.

I'll try again: A player interacts more often with the coach than with the GM so the coach can brainwash a player easily.

so if Scioscia tell Pujols: "hey Dipoto is saying your WAR is too low but I don't think that's important" Pujols will side with Scioscia because after a great career Pujols doesn't want to hear someone questioning his performance. 

37 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Reagins was a doer who took a risk when he traded for Vernon Wells, I guess we should be celebrating his willingness to make stupid moves rather than pointing out his stupidity.

You are faulting Eppler for having to work around the mess he inherited.   He's been anything but inactive, he's just been smart enough to limit making a bad situation worse.

We all were very happy at the time with the Vernon Wells trade, We weren't happy with the GMJ hiring based on one good season with the Rangers.

15 minutes ago, LegendaryPujols#5 said:

I still remember Scioscia messing 

no, I don't! but it looks like what I brought in here is not good to compare Eppler and Dipoto

Starting your argument with win/loss totals was not taking into account the shape of the franchise before Dipoto/Eppler started their tenure and the shape of the franchise after Dipoto resigned.

It lacked a lot of context.

2 minutes ago, LegendaryPujols#5 said:

We all were very happy at the time with the Vernon Wells trade, We weren't happy with the GMJ hiring based on one good season with the Rangers.

You obviously were not reading the board when the Wells for Rivera/Napoli trade went down. Not much happiness at all.

16 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Starting your argument with win/loss totals was not taking into account the shape of the franchise before Dipoto/Eppler started their tenure and the shape of the franchise after Dipoto resigned.

It lacked a lot of context.

yeah, but non of you criticizing my data was able to produce anything better than that to measure their performance.  

I was reading the LA Angels Message Board.
Vernon Wells backfired, but Napoli wasn't a better catcher than Mathis at the time and Rivera was just an average player.

That was only part of the issue.  The other part was the 4 years/$86 million Wells contract inherited, given his so-so road numbers and now infamous struggles in Angel Stadium. 

yeah, but non of you criticizing my data were able to produce anything to measure their performance.  

What? Look, the performance of a GM has to rated on what resources he started with and how he managed them until the end of his tenure.

Dipoto started with a well regarded farm system, a solid lineup that needed upgrades but a huge war chest to work with.

By the time he left the team still had not addressed left field, the bullpen was a mess, his starting rotation was suspect due to Weaver declining and Wilson's injury, after trading Kendrick his 2nd base solution was a failure, he never addressed 3rd base and his shortstop was aging out.

In the minor leagues they dropped to a last place ranking. He had put the Angels into a three year penalty for international signings.

In short he left the team in far worse shape than when he took over the job. He chose to resign right before the mid season trade deadline knowing he was going to be fired in the off season and deservedly so.

On Eppler side he had inherited the worst farm system in the majors, a payroll that was maxed out and very little in terms of trade assetsto work with. His first draft is considered to have been the most successful since Trouts draft. He has stabilized shortstop for the next 5 seasons and started the process of feeding the parent club with at least league average players. He has an uphill battle to dig this club out of the sinkhole that he inherited but by no means can his effectiveness be measured by one season without any adequate resources to work with.

1 hour ago, LegendaryPujols#5 said:

for me to be happy and satisfied with Epper he needs to fire Scioscia because a guy that send down Jered Weaver to keep his bother with his  3-10 record with and his 6.29 ERA doesn't belong in the MLB and not even in the DWL and just a fool can disagree with me!

catch you later guys!

Again, no context. Weaver was sent down because his call up was caused by Bartolo Colon going on the DL. When Colon returned Weaver had options and was sent down so Stoneman could find a way to trade Jeff Weaver, opening up a spot on the 25 man roster.

This was Stoneman's choice as GM to try and get any value he could out of Jeff but in the end they released him and called Jered back up.

You obviously don't have any understanding of how roster moves are made or the real history of the franchise.

Ciao.

20 minutes ago, LegendaryPujols#5 said:

for me to be happy and satisfied with Epper he needs to fire Scioscia because a guy that send down Jered Weaver to keep his bother with his  3-10 record with and his 6.29 ERA doesn't belong in the MLB and not even in the DWL and just a fool can disagree with me!

catch you later guys!

Something that happened ten years ago that ended up working out favorably for weaver and the team? Good call!

Dipoto was a "show-er," not a "grow-er." He talked a good game, but when it came down to it he really fucked things up. He's sort of the Barack Obama of GMs.

It is too soon to say about Eppler, but I'm hoping he's a "grow-er," not a "show-er." He's making little moves that have little to no negative impact, but could have upside. The only big move he made was the Simmons trade, which may be questionable in a few years if Newcomb turns out to be a stud, but that's still a big if. Simmons is a very good player and will remain so for the next few years at least. But we really need to see if any of his Hail Mary acquisitions turns out: Meyer, Banuelos, Campos, etc.

The last four GM's have all had their strengths and weaknesses, it's part of the job. DiPoto clashed with Scioscia, who will not ever be fired and he should've known that. Eppler seems to get along, even while making more coaching changes to Scioscia's staff than DiPoto did. And Scioscia seems fine with it.

Most of the bad moves were made under Reagins tenure that the OP was complaining about, not DiPoto, and while Reagins had hits, he had way more misses. Cabrera for Garland wasn't good. Torii Hunter was good. Texiera trade was good, but not resigning him was bad and left them left handed deficient for years. Letting Lackey go was a mistake, but obviously drafting Trout was an excellent move. The Dan Haren trade was good, but the Vernon Wells was not. Weaver's extension was good. Seems like 50/50 good moves and bad moves.

DiPoto signed Pujols and Wilson, Hamilton, and didn't really do too well in free agency. The Trumbo and Bourjos trades were good, but the Kendrick trade left a hole at 2nd they are still trying to fill. Arte clearly had his influences, though on many of these moves. I didn't like Haren and Santana being shipped off, but they had payroll constraints. Blanton was a horrible signing. Street trade looks great now, even with a bad year last year. Overall more pluses than minuses. Draft picks were often reaches, or not impact guys. Some high picks have already retired, less than four seasons into their careers. That can happen with late round guys, but 2-5th round should at least be around for 6 seasons.

Eppler's Simmons trade looks good now. The Left field acquisitions didn't work out. Escobar trade is good, for what they gave up. I like the Maybin move, because it's low risk. We'll see what happens going forward. Right now he's 75/25 good to bad in my opinion and looking to improve.

22 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Again, no context. Weaver was sent down because his call up was caused by Bartolo Colon going on the DL. When Colon returned Weaver had options and was sent down so Stoneman could find a way to trade Jeff Weaver, opening up a spot on the 25 man roster.

This was Stoneman's choice as GM to try and get any value he could out of Jeff but in the end they released him and called Jared back up.

You obviously don't have any understanding of how roster moves are made or the real history of the franchise.

Ciao.

Sorry but I see no trade value in a guy with his era over 6.