• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto Vs Eppler (was it a good idea parting ways with J.D.?)

Just now, LegendaryPujols#5 said:

Tell me about the pitching staff he had there in Seattle. Losing the pitching staff is a good excuse to the fans for not getting there.

It's a dumbass post because:

1.  injuries to entire pitching staff.  To compare the Angels injuries to Seattle's is like saying ISIS is a JV team.

2.  only a dumbass would take one season head to head match ups as a barometer to who is better.

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

Dipoto left the Angels with a bloated payroll, a stripped farm system, locked out of the international signings because of one bloated contract to a player that hasn't developed, little if anything of value in his four drafts, Hamilton still sucking up money to do hookers and blow in Texas along with no long term player value outside of Trout and Calhoun on the roster.

And Dipoto knew this before he quit. He knew he had nothing to work with for the next two years and ran from taking responsibility for the mess he left the Angels in. To say he was a better GM than Eppler by win totals completely ignores what long term damage he left behind.

you could be right, but at least he was a GM and let me tell you one more thing. If you are a doer you could make mistakes... if you are sitting in your office taking no risk, you have a very low percentage of doing something wrong. (I hope you guys understand what I mean) 

Edit: I heard Pujols, Hamilton and Wilson were Arte's decisions. 

7 minutes ago, stormngt said:

It's a dumbass post because:

1.  injuries to entire pitching staff.  To compare the Angels injuries to Seattle's is like saying ISIS is a JV team.

2.  only a dumbass would take one season head to head match ups as a barometer to who is better.

Only a dumbass would reply to a dumbass post posted by a dumbass poster!

2 minutes ago, LegendaryPujols#5 said:

you could be right, but at least he was a GM and let me tell you one more thing. If you are a doer you could make mistakes... if you are sitting in your office taking no risk, you have a very low percentage of doing something wrong. (I hope you guys understand what I mean) 

So, is this supposed to be a positive thing regarding Dipoto? He made the state of the team worse but since he made moves he deserves some kind of praise for it? That's not how being a GM works(if you want to keep your job as a GM, that is)

2 minutes ago, LegendaryPujols#5 said:

Reagins was a doer who took a risk when he traded for Vernon Wells, I guess we should be celebrating his willingness to make stupid moves rather than pointing out his stupidity.

You are faulting Eppler for having to work around the mess he inherited.   He's been anything but inactive, he's just been smart enough to limit making a bad situation worse.

7 minutes ago, LegendaryPujols#5 said:

Stop the presses!! I don't know where you are getting your inside info from, but if what you are saying about Arte getting involved is true, then I think that is worthy of it's own thread.

I'll let you start it 

14 minutes ago, stormngt said:
6 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

So, is this supposed to be a positive thing regarding Dipoto? He made the state of the team worse but since he made moves he deserves some kind of praise for it? That's not how being a GM works(if you want to keep your job as a GM, that is)

now tell me who wasn't exited when Pujols, Wilson and Hamilton were signed? 

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

It's hard to argue with those facts and the sound reasoning demonstrated in LP5's post.  Very strong "evidence" @Oz27 would be proud.  

1 hour ago, Oz27 said:

I can't tell if this is ridiculing me for the bunt discussion or not, because I'd like to think my argument was marginally more intelligent.

If you guys have a better way to argue it, I will be happy to debate with you.

7 hours ago, cezero said:

it was just personality thing between fatty and dipoto when it came to day to day stuff.

blaming dipoto for anything related to talent acquisition or loss instead of moreno is like blaming the person pressing the button to start a ride at Disneyland for the quality of the ride. 

Agree on the first comment, those two never got along, period -- I disagree on the second.

There is no question the JD thought process impacted the farm system negatively in Anaheim.    We can blame Arte for Hamilton, and Pujols and whatever other roster moves people want to put on Moreno but the damage done to the farm system falls squarely on the JD front office -- the Baldoquin signing being the most glaring example.

JD came in and replaced all the people who had been a part of building what had been one of the better farm systems in MLB and the primary reason for the Angels run of success.   He attempted to alienate the MLB staff from the minor league staff and created a divide both in play-style and communication -- whatever he was trying to do by installing that wall between the MLB team and it's minor league processes it served little to no purpose.   

When it's all said and done I don't believe it's fair judge JD based on what happened in Anaheim, it's clear he had to deal with a meddlesome owner and a manager that wasn't on the same page, but at the same time I believe it's short sighted to ignore how poorly his staff managed the farm system.

12 minutes ago, LegendaryPujols#5 said:

Last season over half of the 40 man roster was replaced by Eppler and not because he was just a do'er, it was because he had to. Dipoto left the roster in a shambles.

Maybe none of his is reaching you but teams are supposed to be built in 5+ year plans and Dipoto's plan disintegrated in less than four with no long term solutions in the minor leagues through drafts and selections from the Latin American leagues. 

It is not about one year win totals vs the next, it's about why there was no sustainable growth of the franchise rather than a short term burst of success then austerity. 

36 minutes ago, LegendaryPujols#5 said:

The good thing though is, Arte seems to have learned his lesson (as long as not doing a 180 and not pursuing anyone anymore) and we have a GM who seems to be better at projecting talent than Dipeutered was.   More peanuts have become clean under Eppler's watch.  In a year's time, we hopefully will see what Eppler can do with payroll space made available by jettisoning the contracts of Hackilton and Escobar and others after 2017.