• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto Vs Eppler (was it a good idea parting ways with J.D.?)

12 minutes ago, Hubs said:

The last four GM's have all had their strengths and weaknesses, it's part of the job. DiPoto clashed with Scioscia, who will not ever be fired and he should've known that. Eppler seems to get along, even while making more coaching changes to Scioscia's staff than DiPoto did. And Scioscia seems fine with it.

Most of the bad moves were made under Reagins tenure that the OP was complaining about, not DiPoto, and while Reagins had hits, he had way more misses. Cabrera for Garland wasn't good. Torii Hunter was good. Texiera trade was good, but not resigning him was bad and left them left handed deficient for years. Letting Lackey go was a mistake, but obviously drafting Trout was an excellent move. The Dan Haren trade was good, but the Vernon Wells was not. Weaver's extension was good. Seems like 50/50 good moves and bad moves.

DiPoto signed Pujols and Wilson, Hamilton, and didn't really do too well in free agency. The Trumbo and Bourjos trades were good, but the Kendrick trade left a hole at 2nd they are still trying to fill. Arte clearly had his influences, though on many of these moves. I didn't like Haren and Santana being shipped off, but they had payroll constraints. Blanton was a horrible signing. Street trade looks great now, even with a bad year last year. Overall more pluses than minuses. Draft picks were often reaches, or not impact guys. Some high picks have already retired, less than four seasons into their careers. That can happen with late round guys, but 2-5th round should at least be around for 6 seasons.

Eppler's Simmons trade looks good now. The Left field acquisitions didn't work out. Escobar trade is good, for what they gave up. I like the Maybin move, because it's low risk. We'll see what happens going forward. Right now he's 75/25 good to bad in my opinion and looking to improve.

Good post! I liked it, it's a pity you had to disrespect me before posting it.

1 hour ago, LegendaryPujols#5 said:

I'll try again: A player interacts more often with the coach than with the GM so the coach can brainwash a player easily.

so if Scioscia tell Pujols: "hey Dipoto is saying your WAR is too low but I don't think that's important" Pujols will side with Scioscia because after a great career Pujols doesn't want to hear someone questioning his performance. 

Um, I hope to god a manager has never uttered the sentence, "your WAR is too low". 

1 hour ago, LegendaryPujols#5 said:

Good post! I liked it, it's a pity you had to disrespect me before posting it.

No disrespect to you personally, but you've posted off the wall topics with non-sensical rambling. Stop, read your post, before clicking Submit. It helps. I am clearly not the only one who feels you should review, especially initial posts. You didn't even look to see Eric Young Jr.'s last two seasons, before recommending him.

I can start a post why I think that CJ Wilson should be brought back, but it won't be popular. That's fine. (I don't think this, but it's just an example)

That is far different that posting that Escobar is a better defender that Simmons. That's where some of your posts take me.

6 hours ago, LegendaryPujols#5 said:

In 2016 my favorite team the LA Angels faced the Seattle Mariners 19 times and ended up with an overall losing record of 8-11. At home games ended up at a jaw dropping 3-7.

In 2015 when J.D. was the GM for LA the angels won 12 of their 19 encounters with the Mariners and had a winning home record of 7-2.

looking at those numbers, it looks like J.D. knew what he was doing and the Mariners went from 76 -86 in 2015 to 86-76 in 2016. The Angels in the other hand went from 85-77 in 2015 to 74 -88 in 2016.

I wonder what's Arte Moreno thinking now about his stubborn Team Manager (General Manager de facto) Mike Sciocia and his P.R. (puppet G.M) Billy Eppler. 

I would trade Mike Scioscia and Mike Trout to Pittsburgh for McCutchen, Gerrit Cole and Clint Hurdle! 

So just like Win-Loss records for pitchers, team Win-Loss records are subject to a lot of variability in short sample sizes so the fact that one year we did well and one year we did not so well probably has nothing to do with anything especially when discussing a GM whose only impact is adding and subtracting players from a roster so the comparison really has no foundation to support your argument.

This is coming from someone who liked Dipoto but no one will EVER know the real dynamics of what went on in the front office but clearly they didn't work well together. I think Arte has moved on from thinking about Dipoto on even a semi-regular basis and is enjoying the better relationship that Eppler and Scioscia appear to have. A business decision was made and I don't think he cares much about it anymore but this is my own speculation and opinion. To be fair Eppler has shown some similar qualities to Jerry and I think he will do well for this team so the difference between the two isn't that much and may, in fact, show Billy to be the better GM in the long run but we have to give him time to show that.

I know you like that trade in your head but it would be a massively bad one for the Angels to do as you'd need at least ten premium prospects or at least five elite MLB players (or some combination thereof) to even get close to Trout's value. The trade you propose would be like buying an $800,000,000 property and selling it for only $100,000,000. It would be a massive loss unprecedented in baseball history except for perhaps the Babe Ruth trade.

5 hours ago, LegendaryPujols#5 said:

for me to be happy and satisfied with Epper he needs to fire Scioscia because a guy that send down Jered Weaver to keep his bother with his  3-10 record with and his 6.29 ERA doesn't belong in the MLB and not even in the DWL and just a fool can disagree with me!

catch you later guys!

Uh....it was Stoneman who sent Weaver down.  are you confused of what roles the manager plays and what role the GM plays.  the GMiami  creates the roster.

6 hours ago, LegendaryPujols#5 said:

for me to be happy and satisfied with Epper he needs to fire Scioscia because a guy that send down Jered Weaver to keep his bother with his  3-10 record with and his 6.29 ERA doesn't belong in the MLB and not even in the DWL and just a fool can disagree with me!

catch you later guys!

Hahaha, awesome revisionist history.  You'll do well around here, you'll fit in perfect.

24 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Uh....it was Stoneman who sent Weaver down.  are you confused of what roles the manager plays and what role the GM plays.  the GMiami  creates the roster.

During the Reagins tenure, Soshia was the GM, even if his title only stated Manager.  

Forget the on the field product (which is valid, but not the whole picture). it remains to be seen if epplers drafts pan out, but we know for a fact dipotos didnt. for the praise he rightfully earned with the conger trade, he was way off on others (like grichuk), and even the trumbo trade looks poor with hindsight (and knowing he wasnt the one behind it).

Ive mentioned on here before, it wasnt simply a case of he and sosh butting heads...dipoto overstepped his bounds behind the scenes more than people realize. it wont ever leave the clubhouse though...

Doesnt mean much, but eppler is far more liked by the team and staff.

5 hours ago, #CF8 said:

During the Reagins tenure, Soshia was the GM, even if his title only stated Manager.  

So you say!  

I never play that BS.  Reagins was the GM.  everything else is just speculation.

However your argument still doesn't hold water.  the original post was criticizing Scioscia for sending Jared down to the minors and keeping Jeff.  well that occurred in 2006.  our GM at that time was Bill Stoneman.  

So let me repeat myself.  Scioscia did not send Jared Weaver down in favor of his brother Jeff.  Bill Stoneman did.

(Drops the mike)

dipoto's biggest skill has been turning overvalued major league talent into near major league assets.  

he has been bad at adding known major league quantities for farm pieces.  

he and his team seem to have a decent grasp on upper level farm products but almost no clue about what players will become them.  

the combination of the above things left the halos farm system a prospect nuclear wasteland.  It also kept a solid core of talented players intact at the major league level.  

He walked into a situation where it was clear he wouldn't be the only one in charge of player personnel decisions.  Then he stomped his feet, held his breath, and took his ball and went home when he wasn't the only one in charge of player personnel decisions.  

He was right to leave a situation that had decompensated and left him with zero support from the owner, coaches and players but he was absolutely complicit in that decompensation.  

Over the next 2-3 years, the Mariners major league club will benefit from his moves that will likely result in a playoff appearance or two but the final result will be a farm system loaded with future utility infielders, 4th outfielders and rotation swing men.  

his head to head record with the halos as a litmus for his skill as a gm vs. our current gm is like asking someone if food tastes better the first or second time through.  Jerry ate all the food and now we are asking Eppler to make a meal out the turd he left.  Billy took a pass and decided to harvest his own.  

The jury is still out as to whether Eppler is a capable farmer but I can confidently say he's not going to eat someone else's shit.  

8 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I'm not judging you, but what did you have to type in to google to find that photo?  and please tell me that your autocomplete didn't nail it. 

Lol, something like boy forced to dress like girl. had to scroll a bit to find an old pic like that. i remember years ago reading about a serial killer that grew up like that and seeing his picture, not sure if thats the same pic.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I'm not judging you, but what did you have to type in to google to find that photo?  and please tell me that your autocomplete didn't nail it. 

I was thinking damn near the similar thing ..  only I was thinking how I need to have a beer with him...    This guy has stories!