• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels 40 Man Roster Decisions

ksangel

Would Tropeano and Heaney be on the 40 man roster or if on the 60 day DL not count?

If they don't count then the Angels would be down to 37 (with Ortega being DFA).

I'd keep Middleton since those types of arm don't come along too often along with Smith and Banuelos. So if only those three then no one else would have to be removed.

30 minutes ago, ksangel said:

Would Tropeano and Heaney be on the 40 man roster or if on the 60 day DL not count?

If they don't count then the Angels would be down to 37 (with Ortega being DFA).

I'd keep Middleton since those types of arm don't come along too often along with Smith and Banuelos. So if only those three then no one else would have to be removed.

They have to remain on the 40-man until ST I believe. They're already been added back to it. 
I'd add Smith, Middleton, and Banuelos as well. I'd DFA Graterol, Petit or Navarro, maybe one of Ege/Mahle/Tolliver, and probably one of the many RHP AAA relievers.

6 hours ago, Hubs said:

Maybe Middleton would be picked but it's a long shot. 

I'd say there's a 90% chance Middleton would be scooped up in the Rule 5. Key Middleton is basically the reason why the Rule 5 draft exists. A player that good that a team won't promote is guaranteed a chance somewhere else. 

Fortunately, we don't need to worry about that. Middleton will be added. As will Nate Smith and Manny Banuelos. 

9 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

I'd say there's a 90% chance Middleton would be scooped up in the Rule 5. Key Middleton is basically the reason why the Rule 5 draft exists. A player that good that a team won't promote is guaranteed a chance somewhere else. 

Fortunately, we don't need to worry about that. Middleton will be added. As will Nate Smith and Manny Banuelos. 

If there is anything good about where we are, it's that we don't have the difficult roster decisions teams with deep minor league systems do....I guess it does give Eppler some flexibility to take some chances.....that is a stretch but it's the best I can come up with....

5 hours ago, DMVol said:

If there is anything good about where we are, it's that we don't have the difficult roster decisions teams with deep minor league systems do....I guess it does give Eppler some flexibility to take some chances.....that is a stretch but it's the best I can come up with....

No you're right, that is a good thing. When you have a farm that needs to be rebuilt like ours, lots of claims and using the Rule 5 draft can really help. It's also useful that we have a protected pick, will be picking from the top half of every round, and will get our international budget back after the Baldoquin Penalty.

Give it another 3 years and I think you'll see the Angels have a Top 10 farm again. Infusing first round picks, losing FA with a qualifying offer, added in to everything else can build a system up really fast.

3 minutes ago, John Smith said:

purchase the contracts of Austin Adams, Keynan Middleton, Eduardo Paredes, Nate Smith. DFA A.De Los Santos, B.Parker,J.Valdez

Interesting. Billy probably hoping he can sneak De Los Santos, Parker, and Santos through on outright waivers so we can keep them all in the org. He's really stockpiling arms. Makes me think they may not be planning on adding much via FA to the pen, at least in quantity. Maybe they are going after Turner.

Yes, Adams is worth being protected.  He sits in the mid-90's, can generate ground balls when his off-speed pitches are on.  He's one of a Top 30 that other sites mysteriously choose to ignore.  Not us though.  As for Paredes, he just needs to command his pitches better.  He can throw strikes, and put some spin on the ball, but he has a hard time locating inside or outside.  But as it stands, you're looking at a mid to upper 90's fastball with movement and a good slider.  Parades is still a year off in my opinion.  Same with Adams.  Both are solid young RP's though. 

10 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Adams has been up and down.   Is he truly worthy of being protected?

PITCHERS   CLUB   LEAGUE   W   L   ERA   G   GS   CG   SHO   SV   SVO   IP   H   R   ER   HR   HB   BB   IBB   SO   WP   GIDP   WHIP   AVG  
    Adams, Austin ARA LVBP 0 2 12.15 9 0 0 0 0 1 6.2 13 9 9 0 0 3 0 11 0 1 2.40 .406

Just now, John Smith said:
  PITCHERS   CLUB   LEAGUE   W   L   ERA   G   GS   CG   SHO   SV   SVO   IP   H   R   ER   HR   HB   BB   IBB   SO   WP   GIDP   WHIP   AVG  
    Adams, Austin ARA LVBP 0 2 12.15 9 0 0 0 0 1 6.2 13 9 9 0 0 3 0 11 0 1 2.40 .406

The formatting never ends up the way it's supposed to. 

11 hours ago, ettin said:

There is a left-handed starter, Wei-Chung Wang who will be available in the Rule V draft. Looks like he has a fairly good BB/9 rate. Could make for a nice back-end starting option.

I think we're pretty set at #5, with Chavez, Meyer, Smith, Banuelos, Campos and Ramirez all in the running. Not to mention Kipper, O'Grady and McGowin.

I think Billy will use the Rule 5 to either pick up another upside reliever to augment our bullpen or an OF with upside to serve as 4th OF until he shows he's ready for more.

2 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

I think we're pretty set at #5, with Chavez, Meyer, Smith, Banuelos, Campos and Ramirez all in the running. Not to mention Kipper, O'Grady and McGowin.

I think Billy will use the Rule 5 to either pick up another upside reliever to augment our bullpen or an OF with upside to serve as 4th OF until he shows he's ready for more.

I disagree I think Chavez will start in the bullpen and the Angels will try to acquire a lefty for the rotation that can eat a lot of innings. Money might prevent this and they roll with the set of candidates they have but the rotation could still use some length, particularly from the left-handed side of the equation.