• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels 40 Man Roster Decisions

ksangel

a few guys available:

Corey Black, cubs - RHP.  Reliever.  was available last year and struggled at AAA this year.  

Nick Delmonico, CWS - Lefty bat with some pop.  plays 1b, 3b, OF.  Really good in AA this year.  meh in AAA.  

John Moscot, CIN - RH starter who has struggled in AAA and MLB the last couple of years.  

Nellie Rodriguez, CLE - righty 1bman.  26hr and a .826ops at AA as a 22yo.  75bb.  The bad news?  186k.  

Raudel Lazo, MIA - Lefty reliever signed out of Cuba and started with the marlins at age 23 in 2012.  He got a cup with the marlins in 2015.  8.0k/9, 2.2bb/9.  2.44 era in 166 minor league innings.  I bet you he's a target even though he's 27yo.  

Jake Cave, NYY - Lefty OFer entering age 24 season.  .758ops combined AA/AAA this year.  

Dylan Covey, OAK - RHed starter who only saw 29ip at AA this year.  But he's 92-95mph with slider curve, change and split.  Sinking fastball.  lots of grounders.  Missed most of the year with an oblique injury.  I could see someone taking a flyer on him out of the pen.  

Barrett Barnes, PIT - 25yo OF with an .850 ops at AA this year.  RHed.  a little speed.  minimal power.  Not sure about his defense but doesn't seem he has the bat or speed to be a 4th OFer in the majors yet.  

Trey Nielsen, STL - 25yo RHed starter.  3.75 era at AA/AAA this year with more hits than ip and a 6k/9.  6.6k/9 for his minor league career but a 3.09 in 3 seasons.  Not sure how he's eligible, but he's listed as such.  Probably doesn't matter.  

Corey Littrell, STL - 24yo Lefty reliever with a 3.25 minor league era struggled a bit in AAA this year with 5.1bb/9 and a 4.56 era but was just converted to relief this year.  8.6k/9 this year though so there could be something there.   Sits 88-92.  Used to touch 95 but apparently doesn't anymore although supposedly has good sink.  

i say perdomo and tj rivera. maybe another hard throwing reliever.

the relievers are easy to hold onto all season and perdomo could be used as a mop up guy/spot starter. use rivera as bench mif with a spring training shot at starting 2b.

the angels would have to work a trade to be able to get both though. easy enough to do at very little cost.

btw, my review included the guys who were left unprotected from teams' mlb top 30 prospect list totaling about 60 players.  Most of those unprotected were guys below AA that aren't realistic to take a flyer on.  While there were a few systems with the guys from that list having put up strong numbers, by and large most teams' players from that list weren't really all that impressive.  I know that's probably expected for any teams system where guys are in the 15-30 range, but to me a lot of our guys in that category are pretty similar.    Just thought I would pass that along.  

6 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i say perdomo and tj rivera. maybe another hard throwing reliever.

the relievers are easy to hold onto all season and perdomo could be used as a mop up guy/spot starter. use rivera as bench mif with a spring training shot at starting 2b.

the angels would have to work a trade to be able to get both though. easy enough to do at very little cost.

I left Perdomo off because he hasn't pitched past A ball.  

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I left Perdomo off because he hasn't pitched past A ball.  

i get it, but he's an actual prospect. rivera has some nice numbers in the minor leagues, as well. admittedly, i've never seen him play, but the results look really encouraging.

9 hours ago, ettin said:

I disagree I think Chavez will start in the bullpen and the Angels will try to acquire a lefty for the rotation that can eat a lot of innings. Money might prevent this and they roll with the set of candidates they have but the rotation could still use some length, particularly from the left-handed side of the equation.

I think at some point the plan is to see both Skaggs and Smith in the rotation. I think

it really comes down to who they're willing to spend money or prospects on. I think Eppler's activity in using the waiver wire to acquire starting pitching depth was not only brilliant, but also partly because that isn't where they decided to allocate money.

I mean they didn't spend the offseason Jerry left, they didn't spend last offseason, and by most accounts, it appears Cam Maybin will be their biggest acquisition this offseason. Arte has gone into full lockdown mode with the payroll. It seems like money has prevented us from spending already, and will continue to do so until Arte decides to spend again.

I doubt that happens until Hamilton is off the books, Richards and Calhoun are locked up, the farm system is rebuilt, and the luxury tax line increases. 

It might be a while before the Angels are major players for any mid tier free agents, let alone top tier players.