• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

30 HRS fwiw

Michifan

Per ESPN, Interesting list of players with 30 home runs this year. It includes Trumbo 45, Napoli 34, Pujols 31, and Kendrys Morales 30. Of the 4, Pujols has the highest batting average at .268, the most rbis at 119 (Trumbo has only 105, which means only 60 beyond hitting in himself with a home run), and the highest war, but the lowest ops. As I noted it's fwiw, which is actually nothing. On another note, guess who has only a 1.8 war, just .3 above Pujols and only good enough for tied for 140th overall--former NL MVP Bryce the clown Harper. 

Kind of crazy because for sol long i wished we had home grown power (after watching so many other juiced up teams in the steroid era), but we obviously produced some.

Also pretty crazy to see that about harper. Maybe last year was a fluke, i think this year is (niether as good or as bad), but again, i remember shaking my head around the 2cd week this year when i watched the oundits on espn saying how harper was better than trout now...

50 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Kind of crazy because for sol long i wished we had home grown power (after watching so many other juiced up teams in the steroid era), but we obviously produced some.

Also pretty crazy to see that about harper. Maybe last year was a fluke, i think this year is (niether as good or as bad), but again, i remember shaking my head around the 2cd week this year when i watched the oundits on espn saying how harper was better than trout now...

Id imagine Harper has to be a lot more entertaining/interesting to cover..  Fletcher would probably have a lot of good insights on who would be easier to write about.   But it really seems like they can only write so many stories about how Trout walked an old lady across the street or saved a kitten stuck in a tree.   Harper has that Barry Bonds "F YOU GUYS" thing going on that can make for better headlines.

Harper killed it last year, and started hot this year. What irked me when i was watching whoever i was watching (it was back in april, at the gym, so was just reading the subtitles) was that they were basically blowing off 4 years of trout for a year and a piece of harper...not that i cant admit harper still has a shot to put it all together and beat trout, he does. But to ignore 4 years of insane production from trout irked the hell out of me.

6 minutes ago, Homebrewer said:

Kris Bryant has quietly left Harper in the dust...he doesn't get the pub since he's a quiet, regular guy...but the playoffs are going to expose him to the masses.

Yeah, he's a beast. 

What this also shows is just how special Trout really is, how consistently good he is, and also what a great teammate and human being he is. He's a rarity. If it were basketball he'd have to be a Spur.

2 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

That's is something, indeed. When Trout gets to 30, assuming he does, that would mean 4 former Angels' prospects hitting 30+ this season. Of the formers, I actually have the most regrets about Morales and often wonder what might have been but for the broken leg after the walkoff. 

15 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Harper killed it last year, and started hot this year. What irked me when i was watching whoever i was watching (it was back in april, at the gym, so was just reading the subtitles) was that they were basically blowing off 4 years of trout for a year and a piece of harper...not that i cant admit harper still has a shot to put it all together and beat trout, he does. But to ignore 4 years of insane production from trout irked the hell out of me.

Being that guy. Why did it annoy you? If you know how good Trout is and the fans of the Angels know how good Trout is and we all know what his numbers are. Why would it matter what some talking head says? 

8 hours ago, Kevinb said:

Being that guy. Why did it annoy you? If you know how good Trout is and the fans of the Angels know how good Trout is and we all know what his numbers are. Why would it matter what some talking head says? 

For the same reason i post/read this site, listen to games on the radio, etc. I know what youre getting at, and i agree. At the same time, id like to think people paid to comment on the game (vs people like us who do it out of fan interest) would have a pretty level sense of whats real and whats not. It irks me that they dont 

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

For the same reason i post/read this site, listen to games on the radio, etc. I know what youre getting at, and i agree. At the same time, id like to think people paid to comment on the game (vs people like us who do it out of fan interest) would have a pretty level sense of whats real and whats not. It irks me that they dont 

Makes sense but ESPN or any news outlet is all about what's new and Bryce was the new hot thing last year especially with the year he had. Trout is amazing and whether ESPN acknowledges it doesn't change the fact that he's been the best player in baseball since he got to the majors. 

There are some pretty cool stats this year of guys who have plenty of home runs even though they are having terrible years, amid this strange home run surge. There are 10 hitters this year with an OPS+ below 100 but 20 or more home runs. Before this year, only 10 players had ever hit 38 or more home runs in a season with a slugging percentage under .500 (2015 Pujols was one of them). This year there are three. Even just looking at the home run leader board, there are so many totals on there which seem crazy. Odor has 32, Marcus Semien has 27, Ryan Howard has 24, Randal Grichuk (who was supposedly having a terrible year) has 24, Didi Gregorious and Jean Segura have 20. The home run surge is giving us some amazing numbers, yet only in the middle of the range. The top tier hitters aren't really hitting more but the lower tiers are by a considerable margin.

Homeruns are the essence of baseball.

Homeruns took baseball off life support during troubled times. 

Homeruns bring the fans to the ballpark.

Homeruns put the smiles on the faces of kids everywhere.

On a separate note:

You may anguish over Albert Pujols but you shouldn't ... his HR presence in the lineup and name recognition pays dividends. You really can't put a value on him using WAR or what every stats you want to use. 

Let me know when his name recognition gets us more wins.  This isn't basketball where people go and play with big name players on the cheap to make a run at a championship.  The last time that happened with the Angels was Abreu playing for us for $5 million.  Oh and I like Albert, it's just the name recognition thing is crap.  

7 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

Homeruns are the essence of baseball.

Homeruns took baseball off life support during troubled times. 

Homeruns bring the fans to the ballpark.

Homeruns put the smiles on the faces of kids everywhere.

On a separate note:

You may anguish over Albert Pujols but you shouldn't ... his HR presence in the lineup and name recognition pays dividends. You really can't put a value on him using WAR or what every stats you want to use. 

When you say home runs what you mean is steroids.